GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

First 3 things to do do your engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-11, 09:54 PM
kingnicky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post First 3 things to do do your engine?

Hey everyone, I just got my lexus 2000 Lexus GS300 in november. Since then i haven't done much but put a cold air intake on the engine.

I was wondering what were the first few things you guys did to your engines when getting your lexus? or what you would suggest to start doing? and what are the best places to order parts from while improving your engine?

Thanks a lot guys

Nick
Old 07-04-11, 10:01 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think the majority of people even start with the engine when it comes to modding.. Think the order majority people follow is

-: Drop
-: Wheels
-: Engine

But then again everyone else is different. As far as modding your engine goes there's only a certain amount you can do I believe, other than that you're gonna have to do a swap.

You already got one part out the way and that's the intake. Only other things I believe you can really do to improve it more is aftermarket headers and performance gears. If you want more I believe boosting is the way to go. Hope I helped a bit.
Old 07-04-11, 10:04 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

header and exhaust is next...but waste of money on a NA 2jzge motor....I'd think about doing looks...if not, then do a NA-t, 2jzgte swap, or even a LSx swap.
Old 07-04-11, 10:16 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Turbo
Turbo
Turbo
Old 07-05-11, 12:45 AM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a faster car.
Old 07-05-11, 03:53 AM
jegMAN
Pole Position

triple turbo
Old 07-05-11, 05:45 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

The first thing I did was a major service. Next up is an GTE swap lol.
Old 07-05-11, 10:06 AM
kingnicky
Driver School Candidate

Hey thanks alot guys I appreciate the help. I have heard a bit about boosting from different places, could u guys kinda debrief me as to what that is? And why it does?

Also as far as aftermarket headers and performance gears, what's the benefit behind getting those?

Then finally, can I put a turbo on a 2jzge? N how much would that be? Sounds like everyone thinks it's better to just go with swapping in the 2jzgte

Thank you very much guys, all the replies are helpful
Old 07-05-11, 10:15 AM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

-oil and filter change
-spark plugs
-turbo
Old 07-05-11, 01:50 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kingnicky
Hey thanks alot guys I appreciate the help. I have heard a bit about boosting from different places, could u guys kinda debrief me as to what that is? And why it does?

Also as far as aftermarket headers and performance gears, what's the benefit behind getting those?

Then finally, can I put a turbo on a 2jzge? N how much would that be? Sounds like everyone thinks it's better to just go with swapping in the 2jzgte

Thank you very much guys, all the replies are helpful
kingnicky - from the level of your questions you might be a little out of your league right now, or at least uneducated, with performance enhancements. With that said, I encourage you to research the site quite a bit to save from making post that are so low level. Everything you're asking has been covered.

Now, let me see if I can help with a few of your questions. BTW, I am no expert but I've accomplished quite a few mods on my car and can speak from a good level of knowledge.

1st 3 things to do to your engine. I would rank your options in this way, one you've already completed:

- CAI (Cold air intake) or high flow intake like the Swift Racing intake system
- Air fuel management (APEX NEO or the likes)
- Midpipe (I think OBX and Megan are the only two on the market)
- Headers (Again, OBX and Megan)
- Exhaust
- Torguemaster plugs
- Cam gear

Again, to make sure you're not "spinning your wheels" and those of other members responding to a thread that potentially has no end, read up and decide your priorities and tolerance for noise, reliability, etc. I found a great www.google.com article that shoudl run you through the bacis of modifying your car for performance:

http://www.drivingfast.net/track/eng...ifications.htm

If you'd like to start this conversation off line with me I'm happy to chat with you, then once you have some initial questions answered you can move on to forced induction (boosting) as an option/conversation.
Old 07-05-11, 07:11 PM
try2fndmrk
Pole Position

swap your engine with a b16 and just drop a supercharger in there
Old 07-05-11, 07:42 PM
R1CH13R1CH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CaliBuilt
swap your engine with a b16 and just drop a supercharger in there
lol. Thats kinda harsh.. i think he's just trying to learn.
Old 07-05-11, 07:49 PM
try2fndmrk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by R1CH13R1CH
lol. Thats kinda harsh.. i think he's just trying to learn.
what..? im curious to see this setup ina gs
Old 07-05-11, 09:17 PM
Doneve79
Driver

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
kingnicky - from the level of your questions you might be a little out of your league right now, or at least uneducated, with performance enhancements. With that said, I encourage you to research the site quite a bit to save from making post that are so low level. Everything you're asking has been covered.

Now, let me see if I can help with a few of your questions. BTW, I am no expert but I've accomplished quite a few mods on my car and can speak from a good level of knowledge.

1st 3 things to do to your engine. I would rank your options in this way, one you've already completed:

- CAI (Cold air intake) or high flow intake like the Swift Racing intake system
- Air fuel management (APEX NEO or the likes)
- Midpipe (I think OBX and Megan are the only two on the market)
- Headers (Again, OBX and Megan)
- Exhaust
- Torguemaster plugs
- Cam gear

Again, to make sure you're not "spinning your wheels" and those of other members responding to a thread that potentially has no end, read up and decide your priorities and tolerance for noise, reliability, etc. I found a great www.google.com article that shoudl run you through the bacis of modifying your car for performance:

http://www.drivingfast.net/track/eng...ifications.htm

If you'd like to start this conversation off line with me I'm happy to chat with you, then once you have some initial questions answered you can move on to forced induction (boosting) as an option/conversation.
Zippyguy, im glad you took the initiative to briefly explain the steps he needs. Most ppl on here has been a Lexus owner for years & have learned/done a lot to their cars w/o realizing there will always be new owners that dont know much & would like to do new mods. why not help?
Stay positive & helpful
Old 07-05-11, 09:55 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

pull it and put in a GTE

Quick Reply: First 3 things to do do your engine?