GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I hate my GS so bad...Please help me to keep it....

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 04:42 AM
7wolf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeanGS
Sounds like you are either seeing feathering of the tires which is caused by a toe problem. Out of spec toe can definitely cause wandering. Inner and outer tir rod end wear can cause this problem.
If you are seeing cupping on the tires then that is usually caused by worn struts.
I agree. Don't give up on this though. My 04 GS430 doesn't wander but I'm on springs and stock 16's. I love it and can't wait for my wheels and air!
Old 07-14-11, 05:34 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Gotta admit, for a luxury vehicle, it certainly has its bugs, that bug the f'n ****** out of me!!! LOL
Old 07-14-11, 06:26 AM
hmt
Rookie

Originally Posted by vwynn
strange to hear how you smell burnt rubber even after an alignment. Do you have the alignment sheet?

are the steering rack bushings worn? (55k is not a lot i know).

Outter Tie rods still good? cant really think of anything else.. besides maybe something is bent. but i dont think it is
Attached is the alignment sheet...not sure how to read it to be honest....the first (dated 02/19/2011) is the very first time I had it alignment right after the new set of tires....The second (dated 03/04/2011) is when I came back since the wander is still there....but they said it's on spec and did nothing...The last time I came back is this past weekend (after changing out the caster arms) and they said it's still dead on spec......

Sounds like you are either seeing feathering of the tires which is caused by a toe problem. Out of spec toe can definitely cause wandering. Inner and outer tir rod end wear can cause this problem.
If you are seeing cupping on the tires then that is usually caused by worn struts.
Is it worth to take it somewhere else for another alignment? Like Toyota dealer???

Originally Posted by milellie11
Hey man, sad to say to this, but i've experienced the exact same thing. Bought my 02 GS430 with 41,000 miles on it, now it has 109,000 with stock 17's. Car has wandered from the get go. Changed all control arms to Daizen bushings and daizen steering rack bushings, sway bar bushings, multiple alignments.....car still wandered. Ended up going back to all stock, OEM steering rack bushings, Lexus Upper Control arms, Lower Control Arms, Caster arms, new ball joints, outer tie rods, shocks, brand new Michelin Pilot Sports A/S tires road force balanced, Lexus alignment....car still wanders.

The steering wheel also seems very disconnected from the road when going over bumps, car tracks every single groove in a bad road like no other. It's almost like i have to fight the car from going off the road on some roads. Listening to some suggestions here will have you aimlessly throwing parts at the car spending thousands just to get the car to drive dead straight and not cause driver fatigue to no avail.

When i read your post, it's a mirror image of how i feel. My wife's Toyota Echo drives better than my GS430. Sad. I don't see how many can say the GS is the best car they've ever had or they love it so much. I've been waiting for 5 years to feel that way and to have a car that doesn't wander. Something is seriously wrong. Or i'm beginning to believe that this car drives like crap with low profile tires and needs fatter tires with more sidewall to compensate for the extra soft suspension.

I would like to see how this car drives with the 16's vs the 17's.
But what's even worse is that Lexus never seems to be able to diagnose issues with the GS. Always seem to be a mystery to them as well. Never heard of anything like that before.
Holy ******.....Sorry to hear that....the way you described exactly what I have right now? I know you've been driving it for over 5 years....Have you ever gotten your fixed fixed or figured out? Or you still have to deal with it every day? I agree...It drives worse than my g/f's 01 camry which has 200,000 miles on it....My co-worker has owned 4 GS before and he doesn't have this problem on any of his...his current one is on 16's though....so i wonder if it has anything to do with this problem...

Originally Posted by YviE
Bushings and end links are different things. The end links attach the sway bar to the suspension arms, whereas the bushings hold the bar onto the chassis.
Thank for explaining...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1.pdf (232.3 KB, 223 views)
File Type: pdf
2.pdf (207.7 KB, 184 views)
Old 07-14-11, 10:09 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hmt

Holy ******.....Sorry to hear that....the way you described exactly what I have right now? I know you've been driving it for over 5 years....Have you ever gotten your fixed fixed or figured out? Or you still have to deal with it every day? I agree...It drives worse than my g/f's 01 camry which has 200,000 miles on it....My co-worker has owned 4 GS before and he doesn't have this problem on any of his...his current one is on 16's though....so i wonder if it has anything to do with this problem...

Nope, never got it fixed. After having it diagnosed by different dealerships (who i really think don't have a clue at all) and other independent techs i gave up. After throwing parts at the car because folks say "well it could be this, or most likely it is this" i gave up. If i still owed money on the car i would have sold it by now, but since it's paid off i've just lived with it. For sure i won't be buying another Lexus though.
Just read around on these forums. The GS is notorious for weak suspension components/bad ball joints etc. We're not the only ones complaining. I've seen many on here whine about tire wear issues, wandering,loose steering and driveability. Never seen that on the LS though.
Maybe high mileage vehicles, but on the GS these things start at 50K miles

Of course, i'm sure many will say all of these issues can be fixed with mods. But who has the money to just redo or mod their whole suspension? Why can't it be great from stock?
Old 07-14-11, 01:39 PM
BIGCARL78
Rookie

I know what you mean when it comes to diagnosing problems with the front end of a gs. I took my car to a mechanic i know and to toyota about this noise coming from the my car when im driving down the road. They checked it and said everything looks good. The tech at toyota took for a test drive and couldnt hear it.
Old 07-14-11, 01:46 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Nope, never got it fixed. After having it diagnosed by different dealerships (who i really think don't have a clue at all) and other independent techs i gave up. After throwing parts at the car because folks say "well it could be this, or most likely it is this" i gave up. If i still owed money on the car i would have sold it by now, but since it's paid off i've just lived with it. For sure i won't be buying another Lexus though.
Just read around on these forums. The GS is notorious for weak suspension components/bad ball joints etc. We're not the only ones complaining. I've seen many on here whine about tire wear issues, wandering,loose steering and driveability. Never seen that on the LS though.
Maybe high mileage vehicles, but on the GS these things start at 50K miles

Of course, i'm sure many will say all of these issues can be fixed with mods. But who has the money to just redo or mod their whole suspension? Why can't it be great from stock?
if u think lexus is unreliable, wait till you own some other cars
Old 07-14-11, 02:05 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HellaG35
if u think lexus is unreliable, wait till you own some other cars
I have owned others: 2000 Nissan Maxima and 2002 Acura TL. Neither of them gave me as many problems as this.

Also my coworker had a GS. He said it was full of problems. Got an E500 he's had for a couple of years and has not had one issue with it. He said all the knock that Benz gets, his E class has been way more reliable than his GS.
Old 07-14-11, 02:26 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

milellie11, have you looked at replacing your Rack and Pinion Unit? My car does a little bit of wandering and the steering feels a lot less precise than when I first got the car. I am about to replace a number of suspension components but if that does not fix the wandering I will probably look at replacing the rack and pinion.
Old 07-14-11, 02:27 PM
richie3888
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
I hate to say this because just about everyone might go against it, but my car wandered bad when I hit a hard bump or when it was raining and it was slick. Ended up being my REAR toe links that were the problem. Changed those and everything was a-ok. Of course that probably won't fix your tire wear problem, but it could be the reason for your wandering that there is something wrong with your rear toe links. There should NOT be though because you hardly have any miles, but it's just a thought...

These sounds like the best answers. The front tire follows the rear tires. So if the rear toe bushings is bad, this will definitely cause wandering. Ask the tech to check for play in the rear. Usually techs only check the front for play.
Old 07-14-11, 04:23 PM
ShihTzu
Driver School Candidate

With the dealer checking out your suspension, did they mention they checked your wheel bearings also? I've had a similar issue with my supra, I drove it for 2 years and it wandered also, I thought it was the bushings and/or ball joints and almost went out to buy replacements, until I found one of my wheels had play, not only was the wheel bearing bad, it worn down my wheel hub. After I replace the bearing and hub, the car drives nice and tight again.
Old 07-14-11, 05:26 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lexusben
milellie11, have you looked at replacing your Rack and Pinion Unit? My car does a little bit of wandering and the steering feels a lot less precise than when I first got the car. I am about to replace a number of suspension components but if that does not fix the wandering I will probably look at replacing the rack and pinion.

I sure haven't lexusben. I think im frustrated with the amount of money ive already spent, i dont know if its worth throwing more money at it without a real concrete solution.
Old 07-14-11, 05:46 PM
Vegas
Pit Crew

I have owned others: 2000 Nissan Maxima and 2002 Acura TL. Neither of them gave me as many problems as this.

Also my coworker had a GS. He said it was full of problems. Got an E500 he's had for a couple of years and has not had one issue with it. He said all the knock that Benz gets, his E class has been way more reliable than his GS.

Ya I put 100k on a 2001 Maxima, 85k on a 2003 Maxima and 75k on a 2005 Maxima. No problems! They are great cars!

I am now looking at a whiny tranny, bad ball joints upper/lower, replacing control arms #2 tonight, have a bad charcoal canister and an oil leak with my 145k mile GS400.
Old 07-14-11, 05:49 PM
my2jz
Driver School Candidate

Had the car been hit or involved in a collision that damaged or bent the frame? Not all incidents are reported so take a look yourself.
Old 07-15-11, 02:22 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

The steering wheel also seems very disconnected from the road when going over bumps, car tracks every single groove in a bad road like no other. It's almost like i have to fight the car from going off the road on some roads. (...)

I would like to see how this car drives with the 16's vs the 17's.
But what's even worse is that Lexus never seems to be able to diagnose issues with the GS. Always seem to be a mystery to them as well. Never heard of anything like that before.
My GS3 also wanders all over the place. I have a set of OEM 16 wheels and a set of OEM 17 wheels (GS400 wheels). The car started wandering when I switched from the 17s (235/45) to the 16s (225/55). Maybe the softer sidewall of the 225/55 tires have something to do with it.

I recently installed a set of polyurethane steering rack bushings which improved the situation a little bit.

I must say that my car desperately needs an alignment.
Old 07-15-11, 03:38 AM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep it man

Quick Reply: I hate my GS so bad...Please help me to keep it....