GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Double Din question..

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 02:51 PM
Turkk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double Din question..

I'm ordering a Double Din off of eBay.. one of those no brand one's(might as well give it a shot.. theres a 7 day money back guarantee anyway).. I was wondering if anyone knew if they're all a universal size and all Double Dins fit in any Dash kit? does anyone have any experience with the eBay double dins? I looked it up online and there's not many bad reviews but I can't tell the brands a part since they're all no names.. any help? (hopes this thread doesn't get locked) lol.
Old 07-14-11, 10:02 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

As far as size goes, a double din should be a double din, only possible variable would be mounting depth. As far as quality and sound goes, if you care about it I'd stay away from generic stuff on ebay.

Welcome to CL! The JDM Toyota dash kit is a perfect match for the climate controls, it costs a little more but IMHO is the only way to go; it'd drive me crazy to look at a dash kit that didn't match every time I got in the car.
Old 07-15-11, 12:39 AM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

if its a double din, you shouldnt have any problem, its a generic size. as far as the face plate, carson has one with a factory finish. it also comes with the new brackets, cant beat it.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=1726

btw OP: there are many threads that cover double din's. next time try to search, you will find your answer faster

i installed my pioneer unit solely using info from searchig the forum

Last edited by Clear2Cloz; 07-15-11 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-15-11, 01:00 AM
hkvan
Driver School Candidate

There are also some good instructions on bypassing the brake when you decide to hook up so you can watch while driving.
Old 07-15-11, 10:31 AM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

on the newer units its not just a wire you have to ground out. they have an internal gyro sensor so it knows when the car is in motion. you have to pull some of the pins out of the harness and put them in a different order. there is a few youtube videos showing how to do this, and what order they need to be in. here is one for a pioneer avic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lxMNf7rLZo
Old 07-15-11, 04:17 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
As far as size goes, a double din should be a double din, only possible variable would be mounting depth. As far as quality and sound goes, if you care about it I'd stay away from generic stuff on ebay.

Welcome to CL! The JDM Toyota dash kit is a perfect match for the climate controls, it costs a little more but IMHO is the only way to go; it'd drive me crazy to look at a dash kit that didn't match every time I got in the car.

I agree with the jdm plate, i have one, perfect match. But I got one of the generic chinese radios (with navigation) off of ebay. It's been installed for about 6 months. Nav and everything else works fine. Not saying that the ebay stuff is the best or anything, but it couldn't be beat for the $220 I paid. Sound is fine also, I mean I'm not going to a SQ comp or anything. For the everyday person who just needs a new radio, they are fine.

Oh and he's right about the mounting depth. My radio sticks out about an inch from the dash (basically the panel that moves) because of how long it is. It would go deeper in, but I have my antenna (plastic box) directly behind the radio so it wouldn't be visible. It plugs into the back of the radio anyway, so even if the antenna wasn't back there, it wouldn't sit flush.

Last edited by tiger4life; 07-15-11 at 04:22 PM.