GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What is this part, also Control arms #2

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-11, 01:37 PM
Vegas
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is this part, also Control arms #2

What is this part I have a leak from? Does it use a gasket?

What is this part, also Control arms #2-2011-07-14_20.15.07.jpg

Also take a look at my old control arms!

What is this part, also Control arms #2-2011-07-14_22.07.59.jpg
What is this part, also Control arms #2-2011-07-14_22.08.25.jpg
Old 07-15-11, 02:04 PM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like the timing belt tensioner... nothing should or will be leaking from there. It's leaking from above and then dripping down...

Yes, those rubber mounts often go undetected... see the last post on this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...i-brake-3.html

Choritsu-shi
Old 07-15-11, 02:55 PM
Vegas
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Choritsu-shi
That looks like the timing belt tensioner... nothing should or will be leaking from there. It's leaking from above and then dripping down...

Yes, those rubber mounts often go undetected... see the last post on this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...i-brake-3.html

Choritsu-shi
Ya I see a leak coming from lines to the power steering pump but I thought that might have been another leak.
Old 07-15-11, 03:51 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Yeah that "control arm no. 2" is common, most people don't catch them when diagnosing front end suspension problems even when there is a lot of info on this board about them.

I had Daizen caster arm bushings for a little while but it turned out that I was sent the 98-00 instead of the 01-05 that I needed. So I ditched those and went for the Nagisa ones. Never looked back since and I love them!

Old 07-15-11, 05:29 PM
Vegas
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mex lex
Yeah that "control arm no. 2" is common, most people don't catch them when diagnosing front end suspension problems even when there is a lot of info on this board about them.

I had Daizen caster arm bushings for a little while but it turned out that I was sent the 98-00 instead of the 01-05 that I needed. So I ditched those and went for the Nagisa ones. Never looked back since and I love them!

Thats the stuff we run on our road course cars, you getting noise from them yet?

Also it looks like you have alot going there in that pic, I was distracted by the mods
Old 07-15-11, 11:07 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

how much were those? about 700?

i wish FIGS would finalize these for our car........
Old 07-16-11, 01:44 AM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's nice.... but anything with a Pillow ball mount, I can be assured it will be noisy. Seeing that you have the wastgate dumping into atmosphere... I wouldn't be surprised that noise just doesn't seem bother you...

So were you able to use the Dizen?

We used to use pour 2-part poly_ _ _ _ adhesive/fillers to similar type motor mounts to firm them up. I think it would really make a noticeable difference applying it to the suspension mounts too.

Choritsu-shi
Old 07-16-11, 12:48 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vegas
Thats the stuff we run on our road course cars, you getting noise from them yet?

Also it looks like you have alot going there in that pic, I was distracted by the mods
Originally Posted by Choritsu-shi
That's nice.... but anything with a Pillow ball mount, I can be assured it will be noisy. Seeing that you have the wastgate dumping into atmosphere... I wouldn't be surprised that noise just doesn't seem bother you...

So were you able to use the Dizen?

We used to use pour 2-part poly_ _ _ _ adhesive/fillers to similar type motor mounts to firm them up. I think it would really make a noticeable difference applying it to the suspension mounts too.

Choritsu-shi
I've never noticed any noises from these. Even if they did, I'll gladly take a little bit of noise over the steering wheel vibrations I had before I got these. I also have Daizen steering rack bushings and Daizen control arm bushings and I don't get any squeaks or funny noises.

I had the Daizens for a little while but they didn't fit like they were suppose to, obviously. So I gave them to my buddy to and he installed them on his 98-00 GS and they fit like a glove.

And yea, my car isn't the quitest car around But when I'm just cruising its actually pretty quiet so if they did make noise I'm sure I'd hear it.

Originally Posted by sakataj
how much were those? about 700?

i wish FIGS would finalize these for our car........
If I remember right, they were just under 700 after shipping. Shipping was only about a week wait. But I think now they are right around $800 shipped. Maybe a bit less than that. I hear you on the Figs stuff, they will be cheaper I'm sure but you'll have to wait a while as with his products it requires patience.
Old 07-16-11, 05:55 PM
Vegas
Pit Crew

I had the Daizens for a little while but they didn't fit like they were suppose to, obviously. So I gave them to my buddy to and he installed them on his 98-00 GS and they fit like a glove.
Ya the newer (with the flat area before the bushing) LCA #2s have a larger diameter bushing than the early models.
Old 07-17-11, 12:04 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vegas
Ya the newer (with the flat area before the bushing) LCA #2s have a larger diameter bushing than the early models.
Yup. I was aware of that when I ordered but I was either sent the 98-00 on accident or I accidently ordered the 98-00 without realizing it.