GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Another Bezel Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-02, 11:27 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Bezel Question

I have done a search on chrome bezel and I have found information on this mod. My question is, recently has anyone gotten this done or bought it? I know Steve G can't get it for us anymore and I am in the process of finding a company that might chrome it for me here in Michigan. But like I said if you have had this done or know where I can get it done please let me know, because I have already removed the bezel.
Old 09-18-02, 08:50 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I'd give my dealer, which is a pretty new dealership, a shot at getting the bezel for me. He put the part number in the computer and it accepted it. I'm thinking 'cool', I'm gettting a chrome bezel. After a week and a half of me stopping there everyday, the parts guy finally tells me that the part has been discontinued Bottom line, if you want something done, you gotta do it yourself...
Old 09-18-02, 04:59 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you looking for the chrome bezel on a 01MY GS, the piece that has been discontinued for individual sale for the 02MY GS? Is the part number 58843-30120? If so, I have one available to me. PM me if you are interested.
Old 09-18-02, 05:32 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Why not just buy a nice clean less bling bling grille like RMM/Blitz/L-Tune/L-Sportline, etc etc?
Old 09-18-02, 06:26 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Is this the peice your looking for? Part number 58843?
Attached Thumbnails Another Bezel Question-darrel5.jpg  
Old 09-18-02, 06:42 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Default Lexus

Check your pm....

I've been looking for that part since last year!!

Give me a ring!

Ryan
Old 09-18-02, 06:47 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i might get a group buy on this bazels.. i dont want to promise anything now let me see if i can pull it off first
Old 09-18-02, 07:15 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Yes, this part has been discontinued for individual sale, but can be purchased as an assembly on part number 58807-30080 (much more expensive). Since I posted my reply to this thread, I have received quite a few emails and phone calls in a very short period of time.

Okay, I only have two left and so far, DaveGS4 has his name on one of them. The other...well I may have to keep it for the prototype. I did not realize this piece was in such demand.

Note: it is possible to have this piece manufactured and then chrome plated. I just need some buyers lined up to setup the manufacturing process. If anyone is interested in this route, then let me know.

Curiosity...what is so special about this piece?
Old 09-18-02, 08:45 PM
JacobT

If you have those in stock, you probably can sell at least 30 of them on this board
Old 09-18-02, 11:16 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Originally posted by Lexus-Parts
Okay, I only have two left and so far, DaveGS4 has his name on one of them. The other...well I may have to keep it for the prototype. I did not realize this piece was in such demand.
YES! Goes to show it pays off to check out our new ClubLexus vendors for the deals they can bring us!

Thank you Lexus-Parts! Sent you an email reply.

BTW guys, I inquired about the part a couple of days ago because I read Ethan's post in the lobby "Has anyone checked out Lexus-Parts.com?". Looked at their website and I put in an inquiry and they got back to me right away!

LP: The piece is special because (IMO) it looks better than the bezel that is on pre-2002 GS's. My existing trim ring is a slightly different color than the rest of the black dash area, and has some scuffs on it. I'd guess the part is so in-demand because almost as soon as some members got them and put them on for the larger population to see, they were discontinued. Now you've got pent-up demand for this item from many members on this board who wanted one after seeing pics. And, just like anything "you can't get anymore", people want it even more.
Old 09-19-02, 06:54 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4

LP: The piece is special because (IMO) it looks better than the bezel that is on pre-2002 GS's. My existing trim ring is a slightly different color than the rest of the black dash area, and has some scuffs on it.
Case in point.....
Attached Thumbnails Another Bezel Question-forwebside-by-side.jpg  
Old 09-19-02, 06:57 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Thanks for the picture. This will help with the manufacturing of a new one if and when we decide to do so.
Old 09-19-02, 07:21 PM
SC400onDubs
Rookie

Man, I don't have a GS but I would certainly buy it if I did have one.
Old 09-19-02, 09:42 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A guys I got tired of trying to find one so I just gave my bezel to a custom shop who in turn is going to send it to a company that is making a exact replica of the bezels top (think wood dash kit), and they are going to attach it to the factory bezel with 3m foam tape. Just like a wood dash kit. Hey I know some of you got lucky and got it before they where discontinued , but the rest of us have to scavenge ways to have this piece made. Maybe this is a option for some of you guys.
Old 09-19-02, 10:28 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,110 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally posted by Lexus-Parts
Yes, this part has been discontinued for individual sale, but can be purchased as an assembly on part number 58807-30080 (much more expensive).
People who have handled the chromed part please feel free to correct this.

Based on instructions to install the chromed part, I think there is a difference between the non-chrome and the chromed part ... the difference is how they attach. The chromed part has perpendicular locking lugs, which snap on the sides of the hole. It can be jury rigged to fit but from manufacturer's point of view, you need to purchase both, the ring and the outer shell.

The non chromed plastic part has a raised edge all along the side which snaps into the hole (There is also a long tongue ... length wise .. which slides under). To install/ remove the piece must be able to flex sideways (squeezable).

Assuming the non chromed plastic piece can be chromed, my concern is that it will become rigid and it may not fit. This may be the very reason why Lexus changed how it gets attached.

A collegue of mine and fellow CL member is pursuing getting the ring chromed. Let us see what happens.

Note: Clearly I am theorizing and making gaint leaps.

Salim

Quick Reply: Another Bezel Question