GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Question re: L-tune options

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-02, 01:25 AM
sr71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question re: L-tune options

Dear forum members:
I'm considering purchasing a GS430 (2002 or 2003) as I need to have a four-seat vehicle soon.
My current car is a 2001 Corvette Convertable, six-speed, etc. I've always loved performance cars and want to make sure that my next vehicle combines luxury with some performance. While I won't duplicate a 2-seat sports car in a four-door, I do want something that performs, but does it with style, luxury, and comfort.
Will I need the L-tuned suspension upgrades, etc., or can I likely get what I need straight from the factory with the upgraded 17 inch wheel/tire package?
I'm not looking to try to replicate my 'vette, but just don't know enough about the GS to know if I'll screw up the ride by messing with the factory product. I know L-tuned is available through dealerships, but you all seem more in the know.
Your comments will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 09-18-02, 02:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

no, you would need l-tuned and probably even more in order to change the handling of the gs4. the stock setup is just way too floaty that it's scary for most of us
Old 09-18-02, 03:41 AM
LexFather

Welcome to CLubLexus!

Driving a GS 4 to a Vette won't be that bad once you upgrade the suspension as rominl stated. It would be a MUST. L-tuned is backed by the factory warrenty though you may want more.
Old 09-18-02, 04:02 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Since you are buying a brand new GS, L-Tuned is the only way to go if you don't want to mess with the warranty. As far as handling goes, L-Tuned offers the suspension (springs & shocks), a recalibrated steering ECU, and lower profile 18" wheels.

There have been debates about whether or not the GS430 steering ECU is the same as the L-Tuned ECU. Although there has not deen a definite answer, the concensus seems to be that the L-Tuned one is different (in a good way).

If you want to maintain the stock smooth ride as much as possible, then you can forego the 18" wheels. You should, however, like the others before me has said, upgrade to the L-Tuned springs and shocks.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 09-18-02, 06:29 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Welcome!

Considering your current ride, I suspect that you'll need both L-Tuned springs/shocks as well as TRD sway bars. Chassis bracing is also a plus but whether or not you'd find it cost effective would depend on how hard you plan to drive the GS. Same with upsized (and staggered) wheels and tires.

Last edited by mooretorque; 09-18-02 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-18-02, 07:55 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sr71,

Welcome to ClubLexus.. As a Vette lover I know what you are after and honestly if you like the handling of your Vette then L-Tuned suspension probably won't be enough for you.. I suggest looking in the Tein FLEX for your GS.. I've got the Teins on my SC430 and my neighbour down the street who has a '99 Vette Convertible tells me it handles just as nice as his car so that speaks volumes in my book..

Just hit the SEARCH button at the top of the screen and put Tein or Tein FLEX in and you will get the links you need..

Hope you get your GS soon.. Its a wonderful machine!
Old 09-18-02, 03:25 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are willing to potentially risk the warranty a bit on your new car, I think we are talking a different set of mods, as some of the others have started to suggest.
Old 09-18-02, 03:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

I drove a convertible Vette with standard suspension package not too long ago, and it had more body roll than my GS with TRD sways and L-Tuned suspension! I was showing my car to a guy who owned the Vette and he was impressed.
Old 09-18-02, 04:04 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Since you're getting a brand new car, I'm going to assume you don't want to tamper with the warranty. As a result, I'll tell you what I've done and how I feel about each incremental step.

1) Bought a stock GS430 with 17s. The ride was too floaty and the steering too light as others have stated.

2) Added L-Tuned shocks, springs, and steering ECU. This helped all of the above without making the ride harsh at all. There was still notable body roll on turns, but about what you'd expect on a decently sport-tuned mid-size sedan.

3) Added TRD sways and lower chassis brace. This pretty much eliminated the body roll but definitely made the ride more harsh. For a few weeks I ever considered backing out of the sways, though either the sways softened up a bit or I got used to them. Ever since I'm glad to have them. The handling is very firm now.

4) Added L-Tuned exhaust. This also produced a mixed reaction. The look, feel, and general sound of the exhaust is great, but the mid-range droning at normal highway cruising speeds just about turned me off to it. The master mechanic at John Roberts Lexus feels that he can tune out the mid-range resonance so I'm going to schedule an appointment to see what he can do. I'll report back afterward.

5) Had the steering pretensioner adjusted. This seems to have eliminated the highway cruising speed vibration that I (and many others) have experienced after stiffening the suspension. It also added more weight to the steering producing a VERY nice steering feel. If/when you do (2) above, I suggest you ask that (5) be done at the same time.

So for someone new to the car I'd recommend (2) and (5) from the get-go without hesitation. If those make the car feel "right" to you, you're done. If you still feel you need better handling and don't mind a more harsh ride, go to (3). However, (3) definitely isn't for everyone (also I think the sways are hard to come by right now). As for (4), if you like to hear the engine it's a decent modification, but if you enjoy the fact that a GS4 is very quiet inside and can still out-accelerate most of the cars on the road, you probably don't want the exhaust.

Note that none of these changes have in any way affected my factory warranty.

Hope this helps!
Scott

Last edited by SCWells72; 09-18-02 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-18-02, 07:11 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

SCWELLS72 -

Thanks for the very informative write-up.

I have already scheduled an appointment to have the L-Tuned components (Springs, Shocks & Steering ECU) installed. It is about time. I expect and look forward to all the improvements because of this install.

You did bring up an interesting point that the Steering Pretensioner should be adjusted / tightened at the same time the L-Tune service is done.

Currently with the stock set up I have now, I am one of the lucky ones that do NOT have any vibration in steering at highway speeds (knock on wood), so are you saying that after the L-tune install that this problem may happen or is it still good to do (if you dealer knows about it).

Please advise your comments when you have the chance. Appreciate the help.
Old 09-18-02, 08:03 PM
sr71
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Thanks to all

Just want to express my gratitude for all of your replies. Sounds like the L-tuned suspension upgrades, steering pretensioner adjustments, and, perhaps, upgraded sway-bars are in order. I'm assuming I can have any/or all of these done anytime, either at or after purchase at the dealer, since they're all warranty-approved items?
Anyway, thanks again. It'll be hard to sell the 'Vette (btw, it has the Z-51 autocross suspension, not stock) but with the items you all have mentioned, sounds as though I'll be fine with the new ride once I make the adjustment.
One thing is clear-- enthusiasts are enthusiasts, whether they drive Corvettes or Lexus GS's.
Old 09-18-02, 08:05 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

I've had two questions now on the steering pretensioner, one above from lexguynj and one offline from sr71 who asked the original question.

For extreme detail refer to the following thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=55801

The general idea, though, is that on the GS when the suspension is tightened the pretensioner should also be tightened or the much maligned vibration ensues. Hopefully this has become standard operating procedure for most dealers, but it's worth asking when you do the installation if you're in-the-know.

While the L-Tuned steering ECU electronically lowers the steering assist, this adjustment mechanically adds to the steering weight. They're complementary and the resultant road feel through the steering wheel is fantastic!

None of this is related to the 17" wheels on the GS to the best of my knowledge.

Again, hope this helps!