GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

VSC -- do you think....

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-02, 02:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default VSC -- do you think....

it's way too sensitive? i don't know how to answer this. every time i make too hard of a turn or floor the car too much, it will comes into play, and almost every time it does everything to stop my car. i know that means excellent reaction time, but i thought maybe lexus could help by adjusting it rather than stopping it?

for example today i was doing a left at some high speed. in the middle of the turn, the car drifted, the rear started to slide out a bit.... beep bepp, vsc came in, and it totally stopped my car in the middle of the road. then after the car was stop (my foot never left the gas padel) it started to let me go again.... i guess people behind me must though i was weird...

what do you think? and yes, i know if i really want to do stunt i should turn off vsc.... but on my acura when the vsc comes in, it helps to correct the slide and the car doens't really stop
Old 09-18-02, 02:29 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rominl,
better that we atleast have VSC available on our cars than not. I've seen enough Mustang GT's and Camaro's loose it big time on city streets, because of driver error and no VSC.

I agree that the VSC kicks in too early, but you figure Lexus would rather err on the conservative side than allow you to get loose, even the slightest bit.

I kick in VSC almost every day and that's with my LSD ! If I want to drive aggresively, I shut off VSC, otherwise I get major BOG as you described. Take note that you must drive with more skill/attention as you won't have the VSC to save you from loosing it.

I used to drive with VSC off all the time, until I got on it a little harder than I planned and ended up drifting the back end out, almost doing a 180.

By the way, if the VSC beeps at you, it's likely that you really $crewed up and you could have run into a curb or worse, if the VSC were off. In that situation, the VSC probably saved your 3UTT and your car too.

So if you really want to drive fast than you have to shut off VSC, just remember Driver Skill Required and do it at your own risk.

Let's get together some time and I'll show you a couple of places I go to let it all hang out.

DO I HEAR LUNCH MEET ? ?

Last edited by RMMGS4; 09-18-02 at 02:31 AM.
Old 09-18-02, 12:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

how about...... this friday?
Old 09-18-02, 03:12 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sequence

High speed left turn.

The yaw sensor would have determined that the vehicle wasn't following the correct path as defined by it's speed and the steering wheel position. In your instance when the car initially threatened to over-steer, the VSC would have FIRST applied moderate braking to the right front wheel, most commonly accompanied by a noticeable "growling" or "groaning" noise.

Since the VSC wasn't successful (apparently) in this initial effort it immediately, once the rear end actually began to "swing" out, went into backup mode, dethrottling the engine and quite possibly even applying the rear brakes.

What you really needed was a "stick shaker" like the one on commercial aircraft, a vibratory torqueing of the steering wheel against your "left turn", so you would know very early on that you were pushing too hard, about to "stall" the car.
Old 09-19-02, 03:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Sequence

Originally posted by wwest
High speed left turn.

The yaw sensor would have determined that the vehicle wasn't following the correct path as defined by it's speed and the steering wheel position. In your instance when the car initially threatened to over-steer, the VSC would have FIRST applied moderate braking to the right front wheel, most commonly accompanied by a noticeable "growling" or "groaning" noise.

Since the VSC wasn't successful (apparently) in this initial effort it immediately, once the rear end actually began to "swing" out, went into backup mode, dethrottling the engine and quite possibly even applying the rear brakes.

What you really needed was a "stick shaker" like the one on commercial aircraft, a vibratory torqueing of the steering wheel against your "left turn", so you would know very early on that you were pushing too hard, about to "stall" the car.
very nice, thanks for the info. yeah i wasn't really saying that the vsc sux, i think it's going exactly what it needs to. just that sometimes you lose fun with it
Old 09-19-02, 04:24 AM
LexFather

Yes, it is sensitive to me. COmes on all the time, which means I am ALWAYS pushing the car. Though leaving it off makes you a better driver, you won't rely on it as much.

The difference with it on and off in an EMERGENCY manuver is INCREDIBLE!

When it's raining one day, go to a parking lot and try to lose control without VSC and with VSC. It's really something.

On the other hand, I HAVE LOST control of this car without VSC and it is much needed in the corners if you basically can't drive
Old 09-19-02, 04:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh yeah, definitely. if you don't know how to drive, with a car this much power and weight, it could be deadly. i am serious, i think only good drivers should take away vsc
Old 09-19-02, 04:57 AM
LexFather

GS LOVES to wag it's tail in the rain. You got to keep it on in the rain. Otherwise, yeah it is kinda sensitive...

I just finishing commenting on pics of your car at Acuraworld dude.
Old 09-19-02, 06:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
GS LOVES to wag it's tail in the rain. You got to keep it on in the rain. Otherwise, yeah it is kinda sensitive...

I just finishing commenting on pics of your car at Acuraworld dude.
yeah it's funny coz' i posted the pics here too! you gotta check the forum often, hehe.... j/k. but thanks man

it hasn't rained here for a long time. when it does, i should at least try out the vsc a bit to see how it helps. don't worry, i do it safely in an open area