GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Please help me with OEM HID

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-11, 10:50 AM
KP117
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
You can always get an aftermarket HID ballast and OEM D2R bulbs. Aftermarket HID ballasts use a 9006 style input which would literally plug into your OEM headlight wiring.

Our Xtreme HID ballasts are low draw meaning that you can safely power them directly from your OEM headlight wiring without causing any potential damage.

Steve

Thanks Steve. This is what I had planned to do until I saw "Sick03L" reply in this thread.

The hole on the left is where the OEM D2R plug goes, this plugs sticks out of the broad face of the OEM ballast. So when the ballast is screwed on. the hole is completely covered. If I use an aftermarket ballast it has to have to that layout or else water will get into the headlight through the exposed hole. I am willing to get the OEM ballast to avoid this, I just need someone's help in wiring it to the stock Halogen 9006 harness.

Mikal where are you, lol
Old 07-20-11, 08:52 PM
Sick03L
Driver

Yes...the hole on the left is where the ballast bolts on and seals the hole, the wiring runs up through and around the inside of the housing and you get access to change the bulbs through the big azz hole in the back. Short of running OEM style ballast into OEM housings there is not proper way to seal all that up. There is a how to on here on how to wire factory HIDs into a NON HID car.

I think most people are missing your issue. Non Factory Hid car with Factory HIDs housing that are stripped and and trying to run a aftermarket set of HIDs. This is correct right? Get OEM ballast with DR2 bulbs and order the back housing caps then splice into the facorty lighting wiring to fire up the ballast or find a adapter harness if it exists. That's going to be the cleanest and easiest way to get this done. Or sell the housings and go the cheap way and run an aftermarket kit in your OEM non hids housings.....I know you want the OEM HID for light projection though.
Old 07-20-11, 08:57 PM
Sick03L
Driver

Does those housing have the auto levelers on them??? I know u cant use it but if they are missing you will have to seal that up too. My 01+ housing came with them when I replaced mine.
Old 07-21-11, 04:18 AM
KP117
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sick03L
Yes...the hole on the left is where the ballast bolts on and seals the hole, the wiring runs up through and around the inside of the housing and you get access to change the bulbs through the big azz hole in the back. Short of running OEM style ballast into OEM housings there is not proper way to seal all that up. There is a how to on here on how to wire factory HIDs into a NON HID car.

I think most people are missing your issue. Non Factory Hid car with Factory HIDs housing that are stripped and and trying to run a aftermarket set of HIDs. This is correct right? Get OEM ballast with DR2 bulbs and order the back housing caps then splice into the facorty lighting wiring to fire up the ballast or find a adapter harness if it exists. That's going to be the cleanest and easiest way to get this done. Or sell the housings and go the cheap way and run an aftermarket kit in your OEM non hids housings.....I know you want the OEM HID for light projection though.
Thanks Sick03L, I am going to go the route you suggested, had it not been for you I would have been stuck with an aftermarket ballast that wouldnt fit.

I dont understand why the dealer would sell the housing with out the back cap for the big azz hole. My OEM housing should be here tommorow and if it doesnt come with it im going to be p'ed off

The back cap can be ordered seperatly? Can I also order the rubber o-ring that goes around the ballast plug?
Old 07-21-11, 06:30 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I see what you mean now. I do have some 9006 female connectors that would plug into your OEM headlight wiring. Assuming your ballasts have positive/negative input wires you can tap or solder those wires to the 9006 female connector that I have. This way everything will be plug+play. I hope that makes sense.

FYI- We carry Original Philips D2R 4300k bulbs as well.

Steve
Old 07-21-11, 09:45 AM
Sick03L
Driver

Yes...Ive had to order both the Big azz cap and rubber o rings for the ballast. The o rings are $4 each and the big azz cap are $14 i think. Call Sewell....Im sure they can tell u exactly what u need. Id give u the part #s but I lost the receipt for both the purchases.