GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Dye GS's Leather To Saddle or BMW Cinnamon? :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-11, 08:27 AM
SaddleFTW
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saddle FTW
Old 07-21-11, 12:37 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a car dealership and use guys that re-dye seats. Its VERY tough to re-do the whole interior. Down the road, you'll have numerous issues with chipping, fading and peeling.
Old 07-21-11, 12:38 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SaddleFTW
Saddle FTW
Old 07-21-11, 12:43 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 383 Likes on 225 Posts

Inspiration.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-my-ucf20.html
Old 07-21-11, 12:48 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don't you do leatherseats.com or get your seats custom done?
Old 07-21-11, 12:52 PM
cgonzalez
Rookie

love the color...... but to much work lol
Old 07-21-11, 02:52 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a friend do this years ago, the main issue I had was with the feel of the leather after it was done. After the seats were dyed, the seat had more grip to it, with normal leather you can slide around and adjust yourself to a comfortable position. After they were dyed, you were pretty much stuck once you sat down unless you completely took all your weight off of the seat. Longevity was also an issue.
Old 07-21-11, 03:05 PM
Sheehan1p
★ I

Thasts weird? What type of dye did he use? Did put a finisher after they were dyed? I'm ordering my kit from leatherique so I'm honestly not worried about any of that it's gonna cost me 200 but it's basically everything I need to do the job
Old 07-21-11, 03:45 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

good luck but as stated, lots of people have issues down the road, depends on how much use the seats get. Its a hit/miss type of ordeal.
Old 07-22-11, 04:59 AM
Sheehan1p
★ I

hopefully none of that happens to me ha only seat i my car thats mostly used is the drivers
Old 07-22-11, 08:17 AM
ceelo
Pole Position

I think it's a ridiculously stupid idea to dye your entire interior seats and door panels to a completely different color. Sorry, I know that is mega negative but I don't understand why you would want to do that. I too love the saddle / cinnamon color but I do not see anything positive coming from this. The idea behind most leather kits is touch-up or re-doing one seat (which is already that color).

Your going to attempt to put a tan color dye over top of your black seats, which is going to take multiple coats of dye. I don't see how you would retain the OEM leather feel and plushness.

What happens when the whole thing goes bad, then what do you do?

What about resell value?

If you really want the color change then save your money and have the seats recovered professionally.
Old 07-22-11, 08:47 AM
gijohnnyb
Driver

I dunno Ceelo, click the link to the write up before you speak. This stuff looks legit and his leather looks just as good, if not better, than stock.
Old 07-22-11, 12:11 PM
Sheehan1p
★ I

Talked to leatherique customer service they've been around for a while and she said it's gonna feel the same as stock if not better than oem, leatherique deals directly with BMW and the M series bmws. I'm not worried at all it's not like I'm buying some cheap rip off version of the dye it's a legitimate dye and from a legitimate company. I'll be posting pics up soon and hopefully a DIY to prove it to you guys and laugh at your face and call you names
Old 07-26-11, 07:10 PM
polobai
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ceelo
I think it's a ridiculously stupid idea to dye your entire interior seats and door panels to a completely different color. Sorry, I know that is mega negative but I don't understand why you would want to do that. I too love the saddle / cinnamon color but I do not see anything positive coming from this. The idea behind most leather kits is touch-up or re-doing one seat (which is already that color).

Your going to attempt to put a tan color dye over top of your black seats, which is going to take multiple coats of dye. I don't see how you would retain the OEM leather feel and plushness.

What happens when the whole thing goes bad, then what do you do?

What about resell value?

If you really want the color change then save your money and have the seats recovered professionally.
You should see mine in person-feel it and sit in it as well...as far as resale value-i think my cars just went up a bit with my interior After you do, or any cars that has been redyed CORRECTLY-then talk. Use products from a good vendor like www.leatherique.com and do all the prep work to make it right and it will come out great. Dont let people discourage you, if you want to do this and make it last-it will take time, patience, effort (lots), and more time.
Old 07-26-11, 07:27 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
You should see mine in person-feel it and sit in it as well...as far as resale value-i think my cars just went up a bit with my interior After you do, or any cars that has been redyed CORRECTLY-then talk. Use products from a good vendor like www.leatherique.com and do all the prep work to make it right and it will come out great. Dont let people discourage you, if you want to do this and make it last-it will take time, patience, effort (lots), and more time.
Originally Posted by Sheehan1p
Talked to leatherique customer service they've been around for a while and she said it's gonna feel the same as stock if not better than oem, leatherique deals directly with BMW and the M series bmws. I'm not worried at all it's not like I'm buying some cheap rip off version of the dye it's a legitimate dye and from a legitimate company. I'll be posting pics up soon and hopefully a DIY to prove it to you guys and laugh at your face and call you names
+1, the only scare of doing this is if you dont prep, put in time, or any work to the seats to ensure it comes out perfect.

it can be done and has been done before. plus hes buying the expensive stuff!

GL to you!

Quick Reply: Dye GS's Leather To Saddle or BMW Cinnamon? :)