GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need help from Air ride experts

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-11, 02:20 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

with air setups in which you would want to have as a DD you would always ALWAYS have a water trap on it. Drain WEEKLY depending how much you air up and down and how much time your compressors do run and always drain the tanks after a few months or so. the water traps do work no doubt about that but water somehow always enters the tank. once water reaches your valves it would cause them to leak, stick open, one way or the other. depending on the valve setup you have you can remove it and clean the inside see if that works but most likely you would have to replace the valves. i would do 4 valves instead of just the 1 in which is leaking. if you have a manifold in which i do you might want to send it back to get rebuilt. goodluck. if you need help, shoot me a PM ill help you out when i have time.

Last edited by VNN326; 07-27-11 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-27-11, 03:36 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
if you have a drain port on the bottom you dont have to turn it upside down ... all you gotta do is remove everything. easy peasy.... not really
Not all tanks have a port on the bottom. Even then, the water isnt directional, so you're not gonna get all the water from the edges. ALSO, by taking it out, you dont have to 'swish' the water back and forth to get it all out of a tiny little hole. Again, also depends on what type of tank you have and where the ports are. If you have 4 ports on the face of the tank (as I do) water comes out much faster and evenly. Even the tanks with the 3 ports on one side (and drain on the bottom) it would be easier to tip it on it side and pour it out.

Originally Posted by sakataj
wouldnt it make sense if you made like a hose from the with drain with a ball valve design and cut a small hole into the bottom of the car where the spare tire was and just drained it out out the bottom of the car whenever you wanted?

You would think... My answer to that is answered above. Cant get a thorough draining that way. Sure you can find ways to do it, but its actually simpler to just remove it and doing it all at one shot. Kinda like wiping your ***, you can shake shake and shake till it all falls off, but its still not thorough, better off doing it all at one shot with some TP (maybe a couple shots )
Old 07-27-11, 03:38 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

oh and if you end up replacing them cause people have convinced you that they're bad. Let me have them (since I'd assume you'll trash them), I'll pay shipping because ANYTHING is fixable but DO change the 4 because if one is bad, chances are the rest are gonna follow.
Old 07-27-11, 05:19 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
wouldnt it make sense if you made like a hose from the with drain with a ball valve design and cut a small hole into the bottom of the car where the spare tire was and just drained it out out the bottom of the car whenever you wanted?
having a hose drain port would be nice. but for my setup my drain port is about a good... not even half an inch from the board. ... IE no space for anything really.

i need to empty my tank.. or at least take a vac that is water friendly n suck the juices out of it.
Old 07-27-11, 05:21 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Not all tanks have a port on the bottom. Even then, the water isnt directional, so you're not gonna get all the water from the edges. ALSO, by taking it out, you dont have to 'swish' the water back and forth to get it all out of a tiny little hole. Again, also depends on what type of tank you have and where the ports are. If you have 4 ports on the face of the tank (as I do) water comes out much faster and evenly. Even the tanks with the 3 ports on one side (and drain on the bottom) it would be easier to tip it on it side and pour it out.
yea true.

i think mines a 8 port. lol... 2 on the side, 4 up front, one on the bottom (drain) and one on the top.

having extra ports is useful... problem about that is the added cost for fittings.
Old 07-27-11, 05:28 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i havent emptied mines in months. i should have a look. =P
Old 07-27-11, 07:44 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Figuring out when to check your or empty a trap isnt science. Do you wait until **** is dripping all over the floor before checking your babies diaper? LoL, no you periodically check. Water trap should be within view, not hard to check it every now and then to make sure they arent full. I think I personally can go maybe 4 months before I need to empty it. I've gone 6 before and it was quite close to the top. Again, it depends on how frequent you use the ride.

Originally Posted by vwynn
yea true.

i think mines a 8 port. lol... 2 on the side, 4 up front, one on the bottom (drain) and one on the top.

having extra ports is useful... problem about that is the added cost for fittings.
oh yea. I have a total of I believe 13 (2 tanks of course; 9port and 4 port) and boy they do come in handy surprisingly none on the bottoms.