GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

EVAP resistor mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-11, 12:01 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts
Default EVAP resistor mod

Is there any electircal guru or anyone out there that can figure out the correct plug or wire we can add resistor onto? This way we can trick the ecu so it does not throw the P0446 code?

Just like the 02 simulator mods when installing aftermarket headders, you would figure out the correct resistance the pressure sensor sends the ECU for feedback within correct perameters.

This would be of great service to the community and save plenty of headach for people who have emission coming up. I get this code randomly and it has no ill effect on my mileage or how the car runs, would like to get rid of this annoying warning for the EVAP

Thank you

TonyN
Old 07-28-11, 05:31 PM
TonyN
Instructor

No one able to attempt this?
Old 07-28-11, 06:50 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Many reasons why this would not help you pass emissions... If its your canister, its quite a simple fix, just a bit tedious.
Old 07-28-11, 07:12 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

The ecu opens the vsv according to the tank pressure sensor. It's a 3 wire connector, power/ground/signal. So that should be the piece you would need to measure the output when in a functioning evap system to see what range it's operates in. Then you could try to trick the ecu, but the gas tank still needs to vent pressure as it builds. You don't just want to seal it completely, alot of supra guys guy have it vent to atmosphere but some complain about the gas stench around the car and in the garage.
Old 07-28-11, 08:30 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Many reasons why this would not help you pass emissions... If its your canister, its quite a simple fix, just a bit tedious.
Why would it not help pass emission. The resistor bypass mod I am talking about is just like the 02 simulator mod that gives the correct feedback to the ecu saying everything is ok. Just like when people install headers they do the 02 simulator, before there was a 02 simulator people put in resistors.

This would be idea because not only does it save money, but in some cases like me where this 0446 code comes up randomly and shuts off randomly, at which it is leading me to believe the VSV is at fault and not the canister itself, it would be worth while.

Is there anyone who could point me to which wire in the engine bay is connected to the wire in on the VSV? I could then look up the wiring diagram and figure out the correct resistant needed.
Old 07-28-11, 09:13 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Depending on the problem, all you're doing is tricking a check engine light. A simulator is not gonna trick emissions.

If its going off and on, 8 times out of 10 its the filthy solenoid on the canister getting stuck open or closed.
Old 07-28-11, 09:25 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

The EVAP VSV on the GS300 is between the intake manifold and the firewall on the driver's side. Look for a vacuum line with a green cap on top. That's the vacuum line that goes to the purge (EVAP VSV). I recommend you change it.
Old 07-28-11, 10:25 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Depending on the problem, all you're doing is tricking a check engine light. A simulator is not gonna trick emissions.

If its going off and on, 8 times out of 10 its the filthy solenoid on the canister getting stuck open or closed.
maybe for California it might be but here in arizona and other states that I know of, all they do with cars that have a OBDII is plug into the OBDII port and vaify there is no codes when the car is at idel. So if "tricking" the ecu so that it read that everything is fine then it will work to pass emission.
A simulator will produce the idea condition so that the ECU will never have a reason to give a check engine light in the first place.

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
The EVAP VSV on the GS300 is between the intake manifold and the firewall on the driver's side. Look for a vacuum line with a green cap on top. That's the vacuum line that goes to the purge (EVAP VSV). I recommend you change it.
from my research the part that goes bad is the one located on the canister under the car, i check the part next to the firewall on under the hood and it looks fine. do you happen to know the part number for the gs300?
Old 07-28-11, 10:34 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

So arizona calls hooking up a computer to an ecu emissions? Emissions has to do with whats coming out thus the reason for shoving a ***** up the tale pipe to reads what 'emits' from the exhaust LoL

sorry, I saw emissions and took it literal... Or correctly.
Old 07-28-11, 11:03 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Yeah no Cali **** emissioin here LOL.. the only time we ever use the sniffer is on cars that do not have a OBDII port, other than that they hook your car up to the computer and let it idel and make sure there is no check engine lights or codes, so about 30seconds and your good.
Old 08-31-11, 04:07 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Does any one have the wiring diagram that show which wire from the VSV evap acutally reads and triggers this code? I would like the trace the wire in the main fues box and figer out the correct resistant
Old 08-31-11, 09:17 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

The VSV with the electrical connector is the one
Old 08-31-11, 09:33 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Most states just do a plug in test. If the car has OBD-II, they just hook up the OBD scanner machine up to the car. As long as the stock ecu says everything is ok and there are no codes or CEL then the car passes emissions testing. Only time they run a dyno and sniffer is if the car is not OBD-II.

Tony, I think you will have to investigate on your own for this one. I would do some checking, but I'm going to be pretty busy for the next few weeks.

Just wondering, most states if not all(maybe even Cali, Fiend please correct if I'm wrong) allow one monitor not ready. This is because EVAP monitor takes forever to ready up. You should be able to reset the ECU and drive around for a day or so to ready up all of the other monitors. The one EVAP monitor will not be ready, but it should still pass under the 1 allowed not ready rule. If you wait too long, the not ready will turn into a fail code and throw a CEL. At that point it won't pass, so just take it in when all other are ready besides EVAP.
Old 08-31-11, 12:36 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
The VSV with the electrical connector is the one
yes, the one i am asking about

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Most states just do a plug in test. If the car has OBD-II, they just hook up the OBD scanner machine up to the car. As long as the stock ecu says everything is ok and there are no codes or CEL then the car passes emissions testing. Only time they run a dyno and sniffer is if the car is not OBD-II.

Tony, I think you will have to investigate on your own for this one. I would do some checking, but I'm going to be pretty busy for the next few weeks.

Just wondering, most states if not all(maybe even Cali, Fiend please correct if I'm wrong) allow one monitor not ready. This is because EVAP monitor takes forever to ready up. You should be able to reset the ECU and drive around for a day or so to ready up all of the other monitors. The one EVAP monitor will not be ready, but it should still pass under the 1 allowed not ready rule. If you wait too long, the not ready will turn into a fail code and throw a CEL. At that point it won't pass, so just take it in when all other are ready besides EVAP.
Thanks Jeff. And yes you are correct, I will have to put a 50 mile drive cycle before it will be ready for emission testing, the light will stay off for well over 200 miles in some cases, however this is still quite annoying that it does come on and I am not going to do the VSV valve yet. I have the valve just not a whole day or two to take everything off in my garage to get to it and replace it. I rather find the correct feed wire that trigger the light when it reads an incorrect voltage, this would only take a few minutes and save my insanity.
Do you know where I could find the correct diagram for the wires or voltage?
Old 08-31-11, 12:57 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

2000 and above vehicle, only one incomplete monitor is allowed.

I doubt ur EVAP monitor is gonna set since you got a problem with the VSV.

Quick Reply: EVAP resistor mod