GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

anybody go from a bmw 540 to gs430?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-02, 05:35 PM
99540auto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody go from a bmw 540 to gs430?

I know youll dont like us out here but I was wondering if any of you guys switched over to a gs430 from bmw 540..

any comments and reason?

my #1 reason of thinking this -> Hassle free ownership
Old 09-19-02, 05:38 PM
LexFather

Welcome to CLubLexus! The 540 is the GS 4's most respected foe, it has the courage of it's convictions.....

Most all of us here LOVE the 540, honestly.
Old 09-19-02, 05:44 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome..

no, we do not dislike(sorry for the double negatives) 540s are their owners...there are alwasy bad seeds among each breed..

well, i know quite a few guys here owned 5ers before, i am certain they will share their thoughts with you

i myself owned and drove a 7 before, tranny went out on me ~@45-50k miles, while i was on a date:eek:

after that all japanese cars.... like ron430 said, we still look at other makes and models, esp the roundel and 3-point star brands when buying cars, but when it comes to overall ownership, lexus got some of us hooked...german cars...may be some day...may be...
Old 09-19-02, 05:49 PM
99540auto
Driver School Candidate

yup i hate the fact that i cant really put a cup in the cup holder.
The dealers treat you like crap unless you treat them like crap.
And they aint as reliable as a lexus.
But it sure is one wild ride The positives are starting to outweigh the negative.

Any body have 0-60 & hp specs on the gs400?
Old 09-19-02, 05:57 PM
LexFather

Before the special edition E55 and XJR, the GS 400 was the fastest accelerating automatic sedan, 0-60 in 5.7, 1/4 mile in 14.3.

GS 400 300hp 310 lbs torque
GS 430 300hp 325 lbs torque

The GS 430 hits peak power at about 5300 rpm compared to the GS 400 6300 rpm. GS 400 has e-shift (you can shift gears 2-5 from the steering wheel ala Porsche tiptronic) GS 430 does not.

GS 400 has one of the shortest 0-60 stopping distances, 118 ft (I think).

Car and Drive said it best back in 1999 (when the 540 edged out the GS 400 in a comparo) For all intents and purposes, the 2 cars are EQUAL!

Old 09-19-02, 07:32 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

When I went through the 5's I wound up with a 535 which was a while ago and preceded the 540. I then went through a couple of 7's before deciding it hurt too much to keep owning a bimmer. Now I have a GS430 and an LS is a definite possible addition. Don't know if I can give you any input other than what you can glean from just going throught the posts. The stock GS430 suspension is widely disliked but the fixes are easy to make. OK, a little harder now that GS4Will is out of the bilstein business but there are other sources. I have about fifteen months ownership on the GS and, like most Lexus (and Toyota which is a positive for most of us), it is one of the most boring cars you can own. Put gas in it, change the oil, and it will be there for whatever you want to do with 300 effortless hp and no excuses. The electricals are a non event, no recalls or campaigns, and everything works. When cooler heads prevail, and I am guilty of this as well but I hate having bimmer owners tell me what bimmer ownership is like (been there, done that like quite a few people here), you will find that overall most of us here respect both bimmer and merc for their products and constantly keep an eye on their offerings for possible future purchase. But for an ownership experience, Lexus overall delivers everything you have heard. Two further points. My local Lexus dealer service hours are 24 hours a day during the week and 7AM to 5PM on both Sat and Sun. I could have cried when I found out about that after bimmer service. The second point is that this board is a tremendous resource and really goes a long way to fullfilling a "performance" bias to Lexus because in all honesty, Lexus is no where near as performance oriented as bimmer or merc. But with the resources available on this board, you can get most anywhere you want. My gut says that at the ragged limit, the bimmer would probably have an edge in handling to the Lexus but for getting a fine handling suspension with an extremely comfortable ride, the Lexus does a bit better than the recent bimmers. My two cents.
Old 09-19-02, 07:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

540 is a great car but it does have reliability problems. I know 3 owners of them and all of them have had problems, mainly electrical (engine dying, lights coming on, information displays flickering and dying, etc.).

Being stuck by the side of the road isn't part of "the ultimate driving experience" in my book.
Old 09-19-02, 07:48 PM
LexFather

The funniest thing about the BMW thing is I NEVER see an owner pushing his/her car. They just cruise in it, which leds me to believe BMW's Brand and IMAGE is incredible! I have raced maybe 5 BMWs in 2 years......

If I had a BMW, ya'll think I drive the GS hard
Old 09-19-02, 08:02 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Welcome, and over here ar ClubLex we don't dislike people we don't know.. There are few Beemer owners who talk crap, and that's why they get treated with no respect.. As for the 540 question, that was my second car.. I was 18 in a 540 ... But I totaled it into some rocks and then into a tree... Now I can't get GS430 because they want around 12grand a year to insure.. So I went with a 300 instead... But there is no comparison at all between those two... But after the turbo goes on we'll see..
Old 09-19-02, 08:03 PM
JYOO

Id be to scared to drive a BMW hard. My friend had a 99 M3, which I drove hard for about 5-7 minutes. It had 20K on it. 5 speed, 18 in BBS'. Damn that car was quick and handled like a champ. Butttah...after i took some corners real fast the car wouldnt go in gear as quikly as I could shift, I had to actually wait and granny shift, then the check engine light comes on, then the gas pedal comes loose so i had to step on the little medal rod. then when i parked the car its making some weird azz noises???
Sounds like im making this up, but its all real.
What a P.O.S!!! haha
Old 09-19-02, 08:53 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by RON430
When I went through the 5's I wound up with a 535 which was a while ago and preceded the 540. I then went through a couple of 7's before deciding it hurt too much to keep owning a bimmer. Now I have a GS430 and an LS is a definite possible addition. Don't know if I can give you any input other than what you can glean from just going throught the posts. The stock GS430 suspension is widely disliked but the fixes are easy to make. OK, a little harder now that GS4Will is out of the bilstein business but there are other sources. I have about fifteen months ownership on the GS and, like most Lexus (and Toyota which is a positive for most of us), it is one of the most boring cars you can own. Put gas in it, change the oil, and it will be there for whatever you want to do with 300 effortless hp and no excuses. The electricals are a non event, no recalls or campaigns, and everything works. When cooler heads prevail, and I am guilty of this as well but I hate having bimmer owners tell me what bimmer ownership is like (been there, done that like quite a few people here), you will find that overall most of us here respect both bimmer and merc for their products and constantly keep an eye on their offerings for possible future purchase. But for an ownership experience, Lexus overall delivers everything you have heard. Two further points. My local Lexus dealer service hours are 24 hours a day during the week and 7AM to 5PM on both Sat and Sun. I could have cried when I found out about that after bimmer service. The second point is that this board is a tremendous resource and really goes a long way to fullfilling a "performance" bias to Lexus because in all honesty, Lexus is no where near as performance oriented as bimmer or merc. But with the resources available on this board, you can get most anywhere you want. My gut says that at the ragged limit, the bimmer would probably have an edge in handling to the Lexus but for getting a fine handling suspension with an extremely comfortable ride, the Lexus does a bit better than the recent bimmers. My two cents.
Where is your dealer at? 24x7..wow
Old 09-19-02, 09:37 PM
BatKing
Rookie

Where is your dealer at? 24x7..wow
Let me guess. Fremont Lexus............

Last edited by BatKing; 09-19-02 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-19-02, 09:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by BatKing

Let me guess. Fremont Lexus............
i can either be fremont, stevens creek, or pleasanton
Old 09-19-02, 11:50 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

To be honest, I'd go to a BMW 540 in no time at all.

A family member of mine has a 530 (not even the sports package) and that 6 Cylinder feels faster than my GS430, the handling is better and the steering is nice and firm (none of these vibration issues other CL members are talking about). So I can't even imagine how incredible the 540 would be.

Sure the BMW is not as reliable as a Lexus, but overall it is reliable and the sickening thing about how sweet the 5 series is, is that people just buy it because it is incredibly fun to drive and the visits to the service center are just going with the flow. It's like it's expected to have these problems and there is no denial.

I know this is not a popular stance on a CL board, however I would imagine some CL members would agree with me, that when you pay over $50,000 for a car, you want it all. NO - you expect it ALL. You don't want to spend thousands more aftermarket just to make it handle and feel like a BMW.

If Lexus eventually comes out with a sports sedan with a true sports package, then BMW is beat. That combination of Lexus power, reliability, service and sportiness can not be beat. Right now Lexus is lacking in the sports package dept, catering to the majority of their customers that want a nice comfy ride.
Old 09-19-02, 11:53 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have owned a 200 540I 6 speed, and I now own a 98 GS400. Although I think the 540 is a great car, I definitley like the GS much much better. Most of the reasons are not performance oriented however. I am the type of person that will NEVER leave a car stock, I always look for more things to do. If you have ever owned a Bimmer you know how much $$$$ the mods cost to do, not that the GS mods are not pricey, but not as bad as the bimmers. Also, there are more options for Japanese cars than European cars as far as companies, parts, etc..

I personally like the lines of the GS better. The 6 speed 540I had a little more go to it, and the 6 spd was more fun to drive. But I wouldnt trade the GS to go back to it. Here is a list of cars I have had in the past two or three years:

95 M3
94 TT Supra- basic mods, about 425rwhp
97 M3
01 S2000
98 M3
01 330 CI
00 540I 6 speed
94 T88 Single turbo- 792 rwhp
and finally the GS400

Out of all of these cars, I am happier with the GS than any of them. The Supras are definitley the **** for performance, but for overall daily use the GS is the one.

Its all personal preference.

Quick Reply: anybody go from a bmw 540 to gs430?