GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sound deadening trunk and back seat...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-02, 10:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally posted by salimshah
This may save our marraige.

Thanks bitkahuna.
LOL You're welcome!

After having lived with the change for a couple of days I can say that the exhaust drone and overall noise level if DEFINITELY lower, but as 1loudlex said, I could definitely go further. The 'brown bread' lessened the echoing/reverberation I think by deadening the metallic reflections from the body of the car (if you take out the liners in the trunk, even the ones not pinned down on top of the spare - just hit the metal with your knuckles and hear how loud it is!!!!), but I really think even the small amount of HEAVY Lcomp material I got (2'x4' I think) made perhaps an even bigger impact! I only laid that on top of the plastic tool tray in the trunk (under the folding stiff carpet piece and the regular carpet mat) and of course the piece wasn't big enough to completely cover that area. I THOUGHT I was going to use it against the back of the back seat inside the trunk but it's not adhesive and I couldn't be bothered to go out and buy some spray adhesive yet.

But now I'm thinking of buying a bunch more Lcomp and some more brown bread because I didn't cover the shock towers properly. I think I've found a new mod fever!!! And like all good mods, this ain't cheap!

My wife has visions of us barely being able to get in the car because of so much insulation.

But hey, it will be quiet!
Old 09-21-02, 01:13 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So this is what you were doing. Nice write-up.
Old 09-21-02, 01:57 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok I saw somthing today when I was at the store, it was a spray type Foam stuff that u spray underneath ur car and what not to stop rust I guess, and it's a sound deadener, I was wondering would this stuff work good to spray it under the back seats? or is it just hype?

ShOwGS
Old 09-21-02, 11:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I'd be careful about spraying such stuff in the car because fumes might be poisonous. Outside the car isn't as big a deal.
Old 09-22-02, 02:14 PM
thwang99
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cool! How do you remove the seats?

Cool installation! I've added sound deadening material to the trunk, it's not too difficult to remove the trunk panels, but how did you remove your seats? What about the front seats/firewall/etc? Are you going to sound deaden that too? How do you remove the front seats? Anyone know? I bought a 70' roll of Brown Bread, and I'd like to do it myself instead of paying someone mucho dinero!
- Tony
Old 09-22-02, 02:32 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
I used "brown bread" sound deadening material from B-Quiet and I put a sheet of HEAVY Lcomp on top of the tool tray in the trunk (I may get some more and put it on the back of the back seat or under the back seat).

Why did I do all this? To see if I could lessen the 'drone' of the L-Tuned exhaust. Result: It's definitely quieter. I'm pleased.

Cost: $160 I think, plus my labor!

One thing I really noticed was when I drove around with no back seat bottom in the car you can REALLY hear the road noise, tire noise, exhaust, etc.

Anyway, thought I'd share.

If I can do it anyone can. For purists out there, I know I didn't smooth out all the insulation with a roller but I don't care since it's hidden.
try driving a car with nothing behind hte front seats other than metal!! and a ractive exhaust!! damn...

looks really good man!! add a nice little sub and some speakersa nd you will have some quality clear bass
Old 09-22-02, 02:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Cool! How do you remove the seats?

Originally posted by thwang99
but how did you remove your seats?
This is the kind of info that makes CL so useful (hint: become a paid member, hint):

https://www.clublexus.com/Informatio.../backseat.html

What about the front seats/firewall/etc? Are you going to sound deaden that too? How do you remove the front seats?
I'd really like to. I'm not sure how to do that but I don't think that bringing the carpet down in front will be too hard. Could be some long evenings and weekends!

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-22-02 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-22-02, 03:14 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

hmm... seems like very good idea... how much noise does it save?

Last edited by alexus; 09-22-02 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-22-02, 04:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by alexus
hmm... seems like very good idea... how much noise does it save?
Hard to quantify... it's not a huge amount, but it is noticeable. Kinda like a front STB.
Old 09-22-02, 07:35 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Paul,
Thought I'd weigh in on this. I removed the trunk liner rather than cut it for my RSTB install, and I often find myself staring at the trunk envisioning my stereo install, but I digress. Whilst in one of my staring trances, I noticed that there is a large space between the rubber sheet that's just on the other side of the original white flossy material you showed in your 1st pic, and the trunk side of the rear seat, kinda like a big air gap. IMO, this would be an ideal place to build up material. Maybe some of that 'jute' fiber that is usually under the carpet.

Question, in the pic where I show the plug, mine is not connected to anything, and looks to be a coax/video cable. I'm guessing Nav. Is yours connected? Also, I'd be happy to lend a hand if you decide to deaden your firewall. It'll be good practice for when I do mine!
Old 09-22-02, 09:44 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hard to quantify... it's not a huge amount, but it is noticeable. Kinda like a front STB.
i've decided to do it.. no reason not too
Old 09-22-02, 11:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by mumbles
I noticed that there is a large space between the rubber sheet that's just on the other side of the original white flossy material you showed in your 1st pic, and the trunk side of the rear seat, kinda like a big air gap. IMO, this would be an ideal place to build up material. Maybe some of that 'jute' fiber that is usually under the carpet.
Hmm... trying to grok this. The white fluffy stuff is attached to the rubber sheet, so I'm not sure exactly what gap you mean. One thing I'd like to do is put a huge sheet of the Vcomp against that sheet/white stuff. I also want to put Vcomp on the back seat bottom, and brown bread and vcomp under as much of the carpet as I can.

Question, in the pic where I show the plug, mine is not connected to anything, and looks to be a coax/video cable. I'm guessing Nav. Is yours connected?
I believe that's for the Lexus phone antenna. Mine isn't connected either.

Also, I'd be happy to lend a hand if you decide to deaden your firewall. It'll be good practice for when I do mine!
You da man! I will take you up on that, in a place where darkness never comes. Until that time, Winston...
Old 09-23-02, 02:15 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm... trying to grok this. The white fluffy stuff is attached to the rubber sheet, so I'm not sure exactly what gap you mean.
Yeah, white stuff is on one side of the rubber sheet, the gap is on the other... seemed like 3/4 - 1 inch or so, but you know how us guys like to exaggerate

Also posted by bitkahuna
I believe that's for the Lexus phone antenna. Mine isn't connected either.
Ahhh, very cool. My ES system has a dual antenna diversity tuner, maybe I can use this for the second antenna some how...

Yet another by bitkahuna
You da man! I will take you up on that, in a place where darkness never comes. Until that time, Winston...
Hehehe...... what?!?!? Gonna need a translation on that one!
Old 09-23-02, 10:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by mumbles
Hehehe...... what?!?!? Gonna need a translation on that one!
1984, George Orwell. Big cheese promising indirectly to the hero Winston that his big nightmare is coming up.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-23-02 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-23-02, 03:14 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

1984, George Orwell. Big cheese promising indirectly to the hero Winston that his big nightmare is coming up.
Ahhh Bach!

Quick Reply: Sound deadening trunk and back seat...