GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Pink (Faded) Tail Lights - Painting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 11:54 AM
Dee8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by olmytsi
Just purchased this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/24x24...item4840bd7238

Will report with results and pics
Please do!

Did you also buy the kit to apply it? Or is that kit not needed for installation?
Old 08-15-11, 12:16 PM
olmytsi
Lead Lap

No I did not; I will follow what the OP did.
Old 08-15-11, 04:52 PM
iposthere
Rookie

Originally Posted by boscardin
Please do!

Did you also buy the kit to apply it? Or is that kit not needed for installation?
You don't really need the stuff. It's just soap and water. Also, spray some on the top of the tint (after you put the stick side down on the lens) if you plan to use a plastic/silicone squeegee. That way when you are using it to push the water/soap you sprayed on the lens out, the squeegee move easier. What the how to videos on Rvinyl's youtube page. it's really easy. and with a 24"x24" sheet, you can do about 10 or more lenses.
Old 08-16-11, 07:04 AM
olmytsi
Lead Lap

Might try to put the red on the amber turn signal part of the tails and see how it looks.

Pics to come next week!
Old 08-16-11, 11:02 PM
lexybaby77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting the updates!
Old 08-26-11, 12:39 PM
olmytsi
Lead Lap

Guys, I got the vynil last week, just haven't had time to put it on...will post pics when I do...maybe sunday!
Old 08-27-11, 09:09 PM
Dee8
Driver

Here's what mine turned out like:

I still have a lot of bubbles, so I'm hoping that they'll go away soon, if not, I might re-do them. I bought the tint from RVinyl [the ebay link posted before]. It was a rather large size so I still have leftover to work with.
Attached Thumbnails Pink (Faded) Tail Lights - Painting?-light1.jpg   Pink (Faded) Tail Lights - Painting?-light2.jpg   Pink (Faded) Tail Lights - Painting?-light3.jpg  
Old 08-27-11, 09:43 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

lol i just saw this post and thought you were going to color match,
i have 3 sets of inner tails: new oem, new led and color matched silver. i like the leds the best. just my $.02

the stickers actually look great from a few feet away
Old 09-26-11, 08:35 PM
CptCrunch
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iposthere
Hey Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has tried to paint the center brake lenses on your GS300?

Also, if you did can you let me know
1. Did it look good?
2. Does it light up correctly?
3. Did you paint the outside of the lense or the inside?
4. What spray did you use?

My other idea to fix the light from turning pink when braking was just getting a amber or red bulb. That's last resort.

Once I get some input, I'll try to put together a DIY with pics.

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: I went and bought the Red Tint Film instead (thanks L3XOTIC & Debonair!). Took about 15min to install.

1. Clean lenses
2. Then spray lens with a water/soap mix. Make sure it's mostly water. This will allow the tint to position easily.
3. Use a hair dryer and plastic/silicone blade to smooth out bubbles, working from the middle of the lens towards the edges (to push the water off the lens). The hair dryer helps a TON when smoothing out wrinkles/bubbles!

Before:

After:

Hope this helps some people out!

Aight i tried to do this DIY eariler and the tails didnt turn out smooth like yours. Are there another step im missing becuase there are creases near the edges. Im using adhesive vinyl i bought from Ebay and i followed the steps mention above. now im thinking of just buying new tail lights.. Any suggestion is good.
Old 09-26-11, 08:39 PM
CptCrunch
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did this earlier twice.. and still comes out looking the same.. lol
Attached Thumbnails Pink (Faded) Tail Lights - Painting?-download.jpg   Pink (Faded) Tail Lights - Painting?-download-1-.jpg  
Old 11-21-12, 09:22 AM
Gears12
Driver

I wanted to contribute to this thread after researching this subject. I sprayed my Lexus GS 300 inner tails with VHT Nite Shades translucent red lens paint (SP888). I am very pleased with the results. The color looks factory after two coats. I am very happy with the color and the transparentency. The stuff isn't cheap at $10 a can but I cant complain about the results. I will see how durable it is.

I hope this helps,
Gears
Old 11-21-12, 10:52 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

^^^^* any pictures
Old 11-21-12, 11:00 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CptCrunch
Aight i tried to do this DIY eariler and the tails didnt turn out smooth like yours. Are there another step im missing becuase there are creases near the edges. Im using adhesive vinyl i bought from Ebay and i followed the steps mention above. now im thinking of just buying new tail lights.. Any suggestion is good.

It's best to remove the lights completely from the vehicle to get and inspect the edge/rim better. You need to start out in the center working your way to the edges. I used a blow dryer on medium heat to warm up the film while shaping it to the light, it will then contour better semi warm, be sure not to overheat or burn the tint. I made sure that all creases were out and smoothed out. Finally I used an exacto knife to clean up the excess tint hanging over the edge. I'm very happy with the results. To me this was the most practical and most cost effective route.
Old 11-21-12, 11:04 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The vinyl is super easy. If you can lay down a sticker without jacking it up u can do this.

The above method is dead on.
Old 11-22-12, 07:15 PM
Muggsgs300
Driver School Candidate

red candy base with 2k clear over the top that has i high uv ray rating

Quick Reply: Pink (Faded) Tail Lights - Painting?