GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
Old 12-16-14, 01:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

Knocking noise enigine questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-11, 01:02 PM
MONSTERGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U need a compression test kit not to expensive at harbour frieght. First disable the fuel by taking out the fuel pump relay you dont want to hydro lock the motor. Take all the spark plugs out and per cyl thread the tester in place and turn the motor over about 6-7 times the gauge will read the compression in psi just make sure all the cylinders are even. the one that is different from the others is your problem cylinder.
Old 08-10-11, 01:04 PM
MONSTERGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MONSTERGS
U need a compression test kit not to expensive at harbour frieght. First disable the fuel by taking out the fuel pump relay you dont want to hydro lock the motor. Take all the spark plugs out and per cyl thread the tester in place and turn the motor over about 6-7 times the gauge will read the compression in psi just make sure all the cylinders are even. the one that is different from the others is your problem cylinder.
Forgot to mention this is a compression check only a leak down requires a more costly tool and a shop compressor. But if its a valve problem you should find it easy with a compression test.
Old 08-10-11, 01:56 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

This cheap and basic tool may help you in many ways. Get a good vacuum gauge. Hook it up anywhere on the intake manifold that has a port and report back on your reading.
Old 08-12-11, 02:03 PM
GOODFELLA
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, seem like a little too hard for me to do. I dont think I mentioned that the when I gas the car the knocking gets louder.
Old 08-14-11, 05:34 PM
GOODFELLA
Driver School Candidate

OK I had a mechanic look a my car and he said it was the valve. The odd this is when i started the car today the noise was gradually disappearing when you go over a certain rpm the noise re-appears . It seem like something is loose and moving around inside. I am going to make a video of the noise tonight.
Old 08-17-11, 10:38 PM
GOODFELLA
Driver School Candidate

Here is the video,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVzMVl3LTDw
Old 08-18-11, 04:33 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Pull the head and have a machine shop fix the valve, might as well have them do a complete valve job.

Good luck
Old 08-18-11, 06:47 PM
GOODFELLA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FrankT
Pull the head and have a machine shop fix the valve, might as well have them do a complete valve job.

Good luck
So you think it is the valves for sure?
Old 08-18-11, 08:16 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

To confirm if you have a compression problem such as valve problems or adjustments and other related components. All you simply need a simple tool, which is a vacuum gauge. At idle, hook up the vacuum gauge to anywhere on the intake manifold side (after the throttle body) and you should get a steady 17-21" Hg of vacuum. If you don't, you got a problem.
Old 08-18-11, 10:51 PM
GOODFELLA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
To confirm if you have a compression problem such as valve problems or adjustments and other related components. All you simply need a simple tool, which is a vacuum gauge. At idle, hook up the vacuum gauge to anywhere on the intake manifold side (after the throttle body) and you should get a steady 17-21" Hg of vacuum. If you don't, you got a problem.
Im going to try to tackle this down tomorrow, Also i got annoyed that the car has been sitting for almost two weeks and took it around the block and the knocking noise went completely way . the car drove fine beside some minor hesitation.
Old 08-19-11, 03:15 PM
LEXUSGS430
Rookie

I am not sure if this engine has an adjustable rocker arm assembly or not but you need to stop running the car like that. You are risking dropping the valve and damaging the bottom end. Either the valve is tapping the piston or the rocker arm is slapping the valve. Either way its bad news...shut it down
If that happens you may as well replace the engine or need a total rebuild....if thats the case might as well put some good rods/pistons while your at it and get her ready for turbo/NOS...hahahaha.
Old 08-19-11, 04:45 PM
tinman
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUSGS430
I am not sure if this engine has an adjustable rocker arm assembly or not but you need to stop running the car like that. You are risking dropping the valve and damaging the bottom end. Either the valve is tapping the piston or the rocker arm is slapping the valve. Either way its bad news...shut it down
If that happens you may as well replace the engine or need a total rebuild....if thats the case might as well put some good rods/pistons while your at it and get her ready for turbo/NOS...hahahaha.
This engine is the Toyota 2JZ, it doesn't have rockers, it's an over head cam. They are not really "adjustable" like a rocker arm, they have these shim things that are used under the cam lobe.

Did your mechanic say exactly what the issue with the valve was?
Old 08-19-11, 05:07 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

They got adjusting shims. But requires special tool.
Old 08-20-11, 10:35 AM
LEXUSGS430
Rookie

Overhead cam has lifter/springs and shims. Either you broke a spring a valve guide has come loose or moved or a cam lobe has been damaged from lack of oil to the top end.

In any of these scenarios I would not run the car anymore. But what do I know...
Old 08-20-11, 12:30 PM
GOODFELLA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tinman
This engine is the Toyota 2JZ, it doesn't have rockers, it's an over head cam. They are not really "adjustable" like a rocker arm, they have these shim things that are used under the cam lobe.

Did your mechanic say exactly what the issue with the valve was?
That mechanic said that it might be a valve but he not certain, by just listening to the noise, he did not open anything up.

Quick Reply: Knocking noise enigine questions