GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY: Driver Airbag Disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-11, 08:31 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoldPiano
But from my googling and asking for the last few months, everything SAYS that the 2001 RX300 airbag emblem is a different size than the others....(As per Spyder78's precise measurements, mine is 65mm Wide x 44mm High)......All other emblems from other years are 49mm High, instead of 44mm....And, what I am buying from AUTOMOTIX is the steering wheel, plus the airbag, so I guess it's a decent price for the 2, even though I just need the chrome emblem!!) So, I am not understanding how the airbag from the one you linked to in the classifieds would be of help to me since it most likely is NOT 65mm wide and 44mm high.... ????
ahhh. for the WHOLE steering wheel + airbag. not bad. sounded like air bag only.

GL!
Old 10-12-11, 10:42 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder78
Absolutely possible that way, but here is the issue, the pegs are flattened so when you pry them up they will stretch the hole, or you can break the emblem. But here is the kicker how are you gonna put the emblem back on after refinishing? Glue it? Not a good option in an accident that emblem will do some damage if it pops off.
The main plastic cover for the airbag itself is a little soft and flexible as it is designed to rip apart when it explodes. When I took my emblem off to put a silver carbon backing on, the flattened pegs came out nicely but I did have to go very slowly to make sure none of the pegs or flattened ends broke off. Putting it back was the easy part actually. When I put the emblem back each peg popped right into the holes without any issues. Putting it back was about 10-20 seconds putting each peg back in one by one.

I'm pretty sure the emblem pops off anyways when the air bag deploys. If I'm not mistaken the the cover rips apart in 3 pieces kinda like a blossoming flower (a blossoming flower that smashes your face at 200mph LOL)

Here's a photo if the finished product. I basically cut out a small oval from a sheet of silver carbon and cut 11 small holes to fit the pegs through and just put everything back

Last edited by Sonic_RC; 10-12-11 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-12-11, 10:58 PM
GoldPiano
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
The main plastic cover for the airbag itself is a little soft and flexible as it is designed to rip apart when it explodes. When I took my emblem off to put a silver carbon backing on, the flattened pegs came out nicely but I did have to go very slowly to make sure none of the pegs or flattened ends broke off. Putting it back was the easy part actually. When I put the emblem back each peg popped right into the holes without any issues. Putting it back was about 10-20 seconds putting each peg back in one by one.

I'm pretty sure the emblem pops off anyways when the air bag deploys. If I'm not mistaken the the cover rips apart in 3 pieces kinda like a blossoming flower (a blossoming flower that smashes your face at 200mph LOL)

Here's a photo if the finished product. I basically cut out a small oval from a sheet of silver carbon and cut 11 small holes to fit the pegs through and just put everything back

Would you be so kind as to tell me what kind/brand/where you bought it/etc. of carbon fiber you used? cause I absolutely LOVE that!!!
Old 10-12-11, 11:07 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Originally Posted by GoldPiano
Would you be so kind as to tell me what kind/brand/where you bought it/etc. of carbon fiber you used? cause I absolutely LOVE that!!!
I actually got the steering wheel shipped from Japan. This is my 3rd aftermarket steering wheel LOL. I went from 98-00 black leather to 01+ brown wood, to 01+ JDM blackwood to 01+ silver Carbon. The Silver carbon I used for the other parts is Hasepro Magical Carbon, which I picked up at the Tokyo Auto Salon this past January. I got more details of that in another post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post6084329
Old 10-12-11, 11:26 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

I actually got the steering wheel shipped from Japan. This is my 3rd aftermarket steering wheel LOL. I went from 98-00 black leather to 01+ brown wood, to 01+ JDM blackwood to 01+ silver Carbon. The Silver carbon I used for the other parts is Hasepro Magical Carbon, which I picked up at the Tokyo Auto Salon this past January. I got more details of that in another post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post6084329
and....your old 01+ jdm blackwood wheel is on its way to me

I am going to remove the L in my 01+ air bag and paint it Piano black.
Old 10-12-11, 11:39 PM
GoldPiano
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks! I'll try to find that product!!
Old 10-12-11, 11:48 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Originally Posted by AMSMIKE

I am going to remove the L in my 01+ air bag and paint it Piano black.
Nice! Brian didn't keep that one too long LOL Getting passed around like some of the girls I knew in high school ROFL
Old 10-13-11, 10:43 AM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Nice! Brian didn't keep that one too long LOL Getting passed around like some of the girls I knew in high school ROFL
Should look good in the GS600!
Old 10-13-11, 11:05 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

nope, i cant seem to secure my black interior parts plus i was behind on somethings and i owed mike $ for my LS mounts so i let it go but i will probably get another one

J, i think the older they get the more they get passed around though....desperately trying to find one to latch onto

Should look good in the GS600!
you should get that emblem made for yourself, btw the guy in your emblem FS post, i never heard from him about that BP emblem except once like a month later to ask me what i was still wanting to get and then disappeared again so i STILL havent gotten it
Old 10-13-11, 02:12 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
you should get that emblem made for yourself, btw the guy in your emblem FS post, i never heard from him about that BP emblem except once like a month later to ask me what i was still wanting to get and then disappeared again so i STILL havent gotten it
I decided to take the emblems off. except the L. I got a stock one and painted it satin black.

what emblems do you need?
Old 10-13-11, 02:29 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

what emblems do you need?
the front BP emblem for a 2001+ grill....or just the damn JP grill i want