GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY: Driver Airbag Disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-11, 11:36 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Exclamation DIY: Driver Airbag Disassembly

So I purchased a RX300 Airbag to utilize in my GS. However the chrome L symbol had some scratches. It is plastic that is chromed so I decided to take it out to have it refurbished.

Honestly to take apart the airbag is exceedingly simple. It took me under 20 mins for everything and the bulk of that was spent on removing the L.

Here is a DIY with Pictures.

First start off by removing the clip for the airbag connector, It has a tab in the center that you pull up and the connector slides right off.

Then slide the wire out of the loop holding it in.

Then unscrew the 4 nuts on the back that hold the bomb. They are 8mm and do have some thread sealer on them so they do turn a bit hard.

Remove the bomb, it just lifts up.

Remove the the metal piece under the bomb it just lifts up.

Here is what it looks like removed

Now there are tabs holding the silver metal frame the airbag and the front together. In order to remove it you need to pry with your fingers the tabs holding them in apart, There are 2 on each side and 4 at the top.

In order to remove the emblem you need to use cutters in order to trim the back end of the emblem where they melted the plastic rods in order to hold it in. DO NOT CUT THEM FLAT, as it will become harder for you to have a way to hold the emblem in after you get it refurbished.

Here are the specs of the emblem

44MM Width

65MM length

Here it is fully disassembled.

To assemble just reverse the procedure.
Old 08-22-11, 06:52 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

thanks. always wanted to redo the L on my airbag since its chipped. u rock
Old 08-22-11, 09:21 PM
lexybaby77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for this DIY!
Old 08-23-11, 01:19 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good one V, funny enough I bought an 03 RX bag with a perfect emblem today. Many people have this emblem peeling issue.
Old 08-23-11, 02:34 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

this thread is sticky worthy! defintely!
Old 09-29-11, 11:01 AM
GoldPiano
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder78
So I purchased a RX300 Airbag to utilize in my GS. However the chrome L symbol had some scratches. It is plastic that is chromed so I decided to take it out to have it refurbished.

Honestly to take apart the airbag is exceedingly simple. It took me under 20 mins for everything and the bulk of that was spent on removing the L.

Here is a DIY with Pictures.

First start off by removing the clip for the airbag connector, It has a tab in the center that you pull up and the connector slides right off.

Then slide the wire out of the loop holding it in.

Then unscrew the 4 nuts on the back that hold the bomb. They are 8mm and do have some thread sealer on them so they do turn a bit hard.

Remove the bomb, it just lifts up.

Remove the the metal piece under the bomb it just lifts up.

Here is what it looks like removed

Now there are tabs holding the silver metal frame the airbag and the front together. In order to remove it you need to pry with your fingers the tabs holding them in apart, There are 2 on each side and 4 at the top.

In order to remove the emblem you need to use cutters in order to trim the back end of the emblem where they melted the plastic rods in order to hold it in. DO NOT CUT THEM FLAT, as it will become harder for you to have a way to hold the emblem in after you get it refurbished.

Here are the specs of the emblem

44MM Width

65MM length

Here it is fully disassembled.

To assemble just reverse the procedure.
So, which year model airbag for the RX300 did you use? I've been looking for that same emblem with those dimensions, so it'd be helpful to know which airbag I can buy to get the right emblem....
Old 09-29-11, 01:56 PM
GoldPiano
Driver School Candidate

Default 65mm x 44mm emblem

sorry, couldn't figure out how to edit my last post to add this.... All the emblems I have found online are 65mm x 49mm, not 65mm x 44mm, so they're too big.... My Lexus parts guys said that the emblem size SHOULD be the same size for 99-2003 RX300's, so don't know what year yours is since everyone is selling emblems for the 99-2003 models that measure 49mm tall/high instead of the 44mm that yours is......Maybe yours is special.... lol

*and now the 'edit' button appears on the bottom of my last post!!!!!! I swear it was NOT there before.....lol
Old 09-29-11, 03:56 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

never thought to take it apart. Now I want to in order to paint my L emblem BLACK!

sweeeeeeeeet!
Old 09-29-11, 10:07 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMSMIKE
never thought to take it apart. Now I want to in order to paint my L emblem BLACK!

sweeeeeeeeet!
Mike you can get it done in black chrome just find someone who can work with plastics.
Old 09-29-11, 10:09 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GoldPiano
sorry, couldn't figure out how to edit my last post to add this.... All the emblems I have found online are 65mm x 49mm, not 65mm x 44mm, so they're too big.... My Lexus parts guys said that the emblem size SHOULD be the same size for 99-2003 RX300's, so don't know what year yours is since everyone is selling emblems for the 99-2003 models that measure 49mm tall/high instead of the 44mm that yours is......Maybe yours is special.... lol

*and now the 'edit' button appears on the bottom of my last post!!!!!! I swear it was NOT there before.....lol
I replied to your PM but will post it here as well. The bag according to the seller was a 2001 RX300. So I have no idea where you're lexus parts guy is getting the measurements from as they do not actually sell it separately from all of the parts diagrams that I could locate. Where are you finding them online?
Old 10-12-11, 03:13 PM
GoldPiano
Driver School Candidate

Default location of airbag/steering wheel/emblem combo

Originally Posted by Spyder78
I replied to your PM but will post it here as well. The bag according to the seller was a 2001 RX300. So I have no idea where you're lexus parts guy is getting the measurements from as they do not actually sell it separately from all of the parts diagrams that I could locate. Where are you finding them online?
I am buying the entire airbag assembly ($280 just for the darned emblem! lol) from:

LKQ Auto Parts AUTOMOTIX

904 I-45 South

Hutchins Tx. 75141

http://www.automotix.net/partlocator.html

Last edited by GoldPiano; 10-12-11 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-12-11, 05:26 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GoldPiano
I am buying the entire airbag assembly ($280 just for the darned emblem! lol) from:

LKQ Auto Parts AUTOMOTIX

904 I-45 South

Hutchins Tx. 75141

http://www.automotix.net/partlocator.html
you got ripped off. CL Vendor is selling one for $200.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...arts-cars.html
Old 10-12-11, 06:29 PM
GoldPiano
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AMSMIKE
you got ripped off. CL Vendor is selling one for $200.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...arts-cars.html
But from my googling and asking for the last few months, everything SAYS that the 2001 RX300 airbag emblem is a different size than the others....(As per Spyder78's precise measurements, mine is 65mm Wide x 44mm High)......All other emblems from other years are 49mm High, instead of 44mm....And, what I am buying from AUTOMOTIX is the steering wheel, plus the airbag, so I guess it's a decent price for the 2, even though I just need the chrome emblem!!) So, I am not understanding how the airbag from the one you linked to in the classifieds would be of help to me since it most likely is NOT 65mm wide and 44mm high.... ????

Last edited by GoldPiano; 10-12-11 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-12-11, 07:52 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great write up Spyder78.

I hate to pop your bubble but it is actually possible to take out the emblem without even taking the air bag off the steering wheel.

You do have the be extremely careful though. You just need small flat head screwdriver and slowly pop out each peg one at a time. But patience is the key, you need to do it slowly not to cause too much flex where it might crack. If you feel too much tension start front a different end. But ya it can be done
Old 10-12-11, 08:10 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
Great write up Spyder78.

I hate to pop your bubble but it is actually possible to take out the emblem without even taking the air bag off the steering wheel.

You do have the be extremely careful though. You just need small flat head screwdriver and slowly pop out each peg one at a time. But patience is the key, you need to do it slowly not to cause too much flex where it might crack. If you feel too much tension start front a different end. But ya it can be done
Absolutely possible that way, but here is the issue, the pegs are flattened so when you pry them up they will stretch the hole, or you can break the emblem. But here is the kicker how are you gonna put the emblem back on after refinishing? Glue it? Not a good option in an accident that emblem will do some damage if it pops off.

Quick Reply: DIY: Driver Airbag Disassembly