GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Alignment Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-11, 04:36 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alignment Troubles

So I've had this problem with my Alignment for a while where I have to turn my Steering Wheel to the Left about 5 Degrees in order for it to track straight (it track to the right when the steering wheel is dead center). So about 2 months ago I took my car to Firestone and had them align it. It took them about an hour and $80. I left and as soon as I did I noticed that my car was still drifting to the right when the wheel was dead straight. I had Firestone give it a second shot and of course I got the same result. I decided to call it quits on Firestone and live with my Alignment for a while.

Now, 2 days ago I installed new Ball Joints, Tie Rods, and Caster Arms on my car. Today I took my car to Lexus to have it aligned since I figured they would know how to get everything working properly. I paid $145 after taxes. Surprise, surprise, my car is still tracking to the Right. I am going to have to give Lexus a call and either get a refund or make them align it correctly.

However, Lexus did say I need to buy some parts to get my alignment perfect. This list includes a Part Numbered 48069-30300 which is funny since that is a Caster Arm. Seeing how those caster arms have less than 100 miles on them I do now really feel as though they need to be replaced.
The other parts are the:
LINK SUB-ASSY, TOE CONTROL, RH+RH
CAM, FRONT SUSPENSION CAMBER ADJUST, NO.2 LH+ RH
CAM, REAR SUSPENSION CAMBER ADJUST, NO.3 LH + RH

The alignment did pretty much nothing so should I go back and ask for it to be redone, or do you guys think that the only way I am going to be able to hold my wheel straight again is with these new parts.

I know it sounds picky that I'm complaining about a a 5 degree angle on my steering wheel but I go to college an hour and a half a way. It gets annoying having to hold your steering wheel slightly to the left just to go straight on these trips.

Sorry for the long post guys, and thanks for any answers that I may get.
Old 08-22-11, 04:59 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i feel ya. do you have the alignment spec sheet?
Old 08-22-11, 05:05 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

Take it back to them
Old 08-22-11, 06:07 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

If you're unhappy with it, definitely take it back.
Old 08-22-11, 07:26 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Thanks for the advice guys. Can anyone confirm that the Part: 4870530070 (LINK SUB-ASSY, TOE CONTROL, RH)

is the same as This Rear End Link, or This. Also, does anyone have Experience with Replacing this Part on their own. I figure I can't DIY the Caster Adjusters, and they can do that when I get my car realigned, but this End Link looks Feasible.

Last edited by lexusben; 08-22-11 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-22-11, 07:37 PM
Vegas
Pit Crew

Could be radial pull. Swap your front tires and let us know if it still pulls to the right.
Old 08-22-11, 07:50 PM
breadbeat
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you drove with a bad alignment for a while, it was probably eating up your tires.

Vegas Could be radial pull. Swap your front tires and let us know if it still pulls to the right.

^^^I would try this^^^
Old 08-22-11, 08:16 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

The thing is my tires are radial so 2 tires are supposed to be on the left and the other 2 have a label that says to put them on the right. Should I try to swap them regardless? And don't mine my thread above I've come to realize that they are separate parts, those After Market Parts are Sway Bar End Links, I need Toe Control Links. If anyone knows where I can find after marker Toe Links let me know.

Last edited by lexusben; 08-22-11 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-23-11, 03:05 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexusben
Thanks for the advice guys. Can anyone confirm that the Part: 4870530070 (LINK SUB-ASSY, TOE CONTROL, RH)

is the same as This Rear End Link, or This. Also, does anyone have Experience with Replacing this Part on their own. I figure I can't DIY the Caster Adjusters, and they can do that when I get my car realigned, but this End Link looks Feasible.

looks like the rear toe arm.
Old 08-23-11, 03:08 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexusben
The thing is my tires are radial so 2 tires are supposed to be on the left and the other 2 have a label that says to put them on the right. Should I try to swap them regardless? And don't mine my thread above I've come to realize that they are separate parts, those After Market Parts are Sway Bar End Links, I need Toe Control Links. If anyone knows where I can find after marker Toe Links let me know.
all tires for PC are radials. If youre referring to your tire being directional then yes they will have an arrow to indicate the rotation path.

regarding the toe arms.. Figs has them for sale, megan has them as well, and more fancy JDM arms can be sourced elsewhere. i have Figs
Old 08-23-11, 03:55 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Yeah, sorry about that, I meant Directional. And thanks for the suggestion on Figs and Megans. I think I may just go OEM since Sewell offers a pretty decent discount on this part and my car is only lowered an inch. I don't really have the need for extra adjust-ability.

Last edited by lexusben; 08-23-11 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-23-11, 04:48 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

the only problem i have with OEM is from user error.. (not you, the alignment guy/gal).

our subframe area that the eccentric bolt rest on tends to bend and deform.. making it impossible to align back to spec. hence why i went with adjustable arms.

just keep that in mind.
Old 08-23-11, 05:14 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bad allignment job, take it back
Old 08-23-11, 06:11 PM
Monkeyyy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work for bridgestone/Firestone and my alignment is the same way. Very slight 5° turn to the wheel is needed to go straight. I've had lexus do the alignment and no luck. They also recommended new caster arms since my caster was very slightly off. My store manager, who has been a mechanic for 35+ yrs will be redoing my alignment this week. Ill let you know if the problem is fixed and how.
Old 08-23-11, 07:40 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

FIGS rear toe links will solve this TOE issue from the rear. Now my car feels much straight and stable on turns. Great product.

Quick Reply: Alignment Troubles