GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Are GS300's underrated, feels more powerful than 227 HP

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-11, 11:01 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont think this thread was originated to debate the 300 vs 400. Of course we all know the V8 is alot quicker. His point was, being a inline 6, the GS300 is actually pretty quick and decent.

I dont know why everyone is throwing around Infinitys and Audi. Why are we comparing and getting off-topic of the OP thread?

If your wife's 300HP is fast, then maybe you should drive the S4 and understand fast. Correct? Not the point of this thread.
Old 08-25-11, 11:24 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

He wanted to know if it was considered underrated. When you make the consideration of being underrated in terms of HP, then you would compare it to the competition to determine if it is in fact underrated.

When I hear the term underrated. I take it as a comparison to others similar or within a certain class. Hence, we bring up other cars from other mftr's to discuss if the GS3 is considered underrated when matched up against a G35 or an A4 etc
Old 08-25-11, 11:46 AM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i just picked up a gs300, and my previous car: an '03 acura tl type s, was way much quicker. obviously i'm comparing 225 hp to 260 hp.

but i feel the gs300 is slower than my mom's minivan.. which is a '99 toyota sienna (which only has 210hp). my mom's minivan gets on it quick.. acceleration is quick.. but for the gs.. it takes forever to get up to speed.. but maybe i just need to do maintenance..

i like the rear wheel drive platform compared to the front wheel though.. cause you can actually feel the jerk/slight pull whenever you accelerate from 65mph+ on the highway. in a front wheel drive car, you can never feel such a pull.
Old 08-25-11, 11:56 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sorry but I have to disagree, my GS is slow as hell, my X5 will rape it. I can't imagine what my car will put down to the wheel. If a GS3 isn't boosted, its most likely slow as dirt.
Old 08-25-11, 12:05 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

From a dig the gs aint that great. As said multiple times, the gearing is great. I've found that top end is pretty sweet when you're at the right speed. Judging by your comment "when I need to get around someone" supports that point. When you're at that mark of needing to get ahead of someone, you're probably right at the perfect speed for that optimal get up. Sure the 300 aint the quickest, but to call it a 'turd' I surly would say that about my car. I'll never understand why people own cars they dont like.
Old 08-25-11, 12:22 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If he wanted to know if its underrated and compare it to other vehicles, why compare it to GS400, S4's and Q45s? Not comparable in my view.
Old 08-25-11, 12:33 PM
AristoKing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say I agree with OP before I did my TT swap on my GS300 when I first got my GS it was pretty quick for a stock 2JZGE it was quick and I used to own a MKIII supra turbo.
Old 08-25-11, 12:39 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
If he wanted to know if its underrated and compare it to other vehicles, why compare it to GS400, S4's and Q45s? Not comparable in my view.
I agree with you in terms of the comparison to a GS400 or a Q. That isn't even fair. But in terms of comparing it to a Maxima, A4, G35 sedan or even a TL, we can answer his question by saying, "No, it is not underrated when compared to its competition". Its a model that just so happens to be slower than its competition.
Old 08-25-11, 12:46 PM
AristoKing
Instructor

Originally Posted by repugnante
I agree with you in terms of the comparison to a GS400 or a Q. That isn't even fair. But in terms of comparing it to a Maxima, A4, G35 sedan or even a TL, we can answer his question by saying, "No, it is not underrated when compared to its competition". Its a model that just so happens to be slower than its competition.
Also people have to understand the newer models that are coming out especially the competition are going to be a little bit quicker than there predecessor.

So to me the 98-05 GS300 are not overrated.
Old 08-25-11, 12:51 PM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

funny i saw this thread today, i was just thinking on the way to work that my GS3 couldnt get out of its own way. wonder if something is wrong with it that its lacking power
Old 08-25-11, 12:53 PM
jegMAN
Pole Position

think OP is trolling
my GS is a turtle
Old 08-25-11, 12:54 PM
DeanGS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GS3 is relatively slow off the line due to the GS's weight, the relatively low stall of the stock converter and other things. Throw in a 2800 rpm stall converter and it will "feel" like the Acuras and other "quick off the line" cars. Midrange, with the stock gearing is very good. The torque curve of the VVT motor from 3000 - 6000 rpm is really flat which gives the good mid-range performance. That is something that a lot of "high peak hp" cars do not have. My friend has an 05 Maxima SE. The car is rated at 265 hp. He jumps me off the line but I close the gap in second and walk him in third. The Maxima is about 200lbs lighter and while the peak HP and torque are higher the GS's torque peak is 600rpm sooner and much flatter than the Maxima's. Granted, I have done a few things to my car but not 40hp worth.
Old 08-25-11, 01:28 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Originally Posted by DeanGS
The GS3 is relatively slow off the line due to the GS's weight, the relatively low stall of the stock converter and other things. Throw in a 2800 rpm stall converter and it will "feel" like the Acuras and other "quick off the line" cars. Midrange, with the stock gearing is very good. The torque curve of the VVT motor from 3000 - 6000 rpm is really flat which gives the good mid-range performance. That is something that a lot of "high peak hp" cars do not have. My friend has an 05 Maxima SE. The car is rated at 265 hp. He jumps me off the line but I close the gap in second and walk him in third. The Maxima is about 200lbs lighter and while the peak HP and torque are higher the GS's torque peak is 600rpm sooner and much flatter than the Maxima's. Granted, I have done a few things to my car but not 40hp worth.
hmmm, was he driving the 6spd Maxima SE version? I have two friends who have an 06 Maxima SE 6spd and a 2003 GS300. The GS has an intake and exhaust. The Max is bone staock. The Max kept beating him by half car lengths everytime
Old 08-25-11, 01:31 PM
DeanGS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by repugnante
hmmm, was he driving the 6spd Maxima SE version? I have two friends who have an 06 Maxima SE 6spd and a 2003 GS300. The GS has an intake and exhaust. The Max is bone staock. The Max kept beating him by half car lengths everytime

Nope, it's an auto.
What type of intake is on the GS?
Not directing this at you but sometimes mods make cars slower.
Old 08-25-11, 01:43 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gs3 is a slug off the line. But, from a roll, I'll admit I'm surprised how much pick-up it has. I know mine is modded, and that makes a difference, but it isn't that much more power. The should have made the gs3 come with a TT like the aristo...

Quick Reply: Are GS300's underrated, feels more powerful than 227 HP