GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Which fog light bulbs will match stock HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-02, 11:02 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mrsypher, I've considered doing that but my fog lenses are brand new so I figured I'd do the fog light mod and remove the yellow glass. If someone can definitively me that this will look different from lenses that were originally clear, then I'll consider a swap. Another issue with me is that many people that want to swap have fog lenses that are 3 years old. My yellows are less than a month old since I just got the car. I'd have to see pics of the clears before I'd even consider it.
Old 09-25-02, 02:34 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

what about high beams?

i have HIDs as my low beam, and I have yellow fog lights.. however my high beam is not stock but very close to it and i was looking at those URL and they dont have 9005 bubls there..

which bulbs should i use for high beam (9005) and where can i find 'em ?
Old 09-25-02, 04:07 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

If the stock HIDs are 4100K, then wouldn't you want bulbs that have the same kelvin rating or close to it. It appears that the PIAA Extreme White Plus has a rating of 4000K which is pretty close and the PIAA Extreme White has a rating of 4150K. I'm not sure if that varies from bulb type to bulb type within each line. Since those are pretty close, does that mean they'll match the stock HIDs or do other factors come into play?
Old 09-25-02, 04:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Sam Khoury
If the stock HIDs are 4100K, then wouldn't you want bulbs that have the same kelvin rating or close to it. It appears that the PIAA Extreme White Plus has a rating of 4000K which is pretty close and the PIAA Extreme White has a rating of 4150K. I'm not sure if that varies from bulb type to bulb type within each line. Since those are pretty close, does that mean they'll match the stock HIDs or do other factors come into play?
yes in terms of color it will match pretty well, after it fully warms up
Old 09-25-02, 06:34 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by MGS4
well, the advantage of having clear fog lenses is that if you don't want the white light, you could just pop in a pair of yellow bulbs.
That's what I did.

Sam, I would have traded you last month. Mine are only 4 months old..

Last edited by MrSypher; 09-25-02 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-25-02, 08:10 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

I am using Razo Premium White and they match well with my HID. I have been using them about 7 months and I haven't had any problems.

Last edited by mcgong; 09-25-02 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-26-02, 12:21 PM
Hypermagic
Driver

Wink Anyone wanna sell their yellow foglights?

Anyone wanna sell me your yellow-foglights assemblies?

Or anybody knows where I can get OEM foglights other than dealer? Thank you all :
Old 09-26-02, 02:36 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,360 Posts
Default Re: Anyone wanna sell their yellow foglights?

Originally posted by Hypermagic
Anyone wanna sell me your yellow-foglights assemblies?

Or anybody knows where I can get OEM foglights other than dealer? Thank you all :
Hypermagic,

You should post a want to buy (WTB) request in the GS classified section.
Old 09-26-02, 06:18 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

I just learned something about the Razo's. I didn't realize that there were 2 kinds of Razo premium white bulbs, the Razo Premium White and Razo Premium White Zero. One site had the regular premium white is rated at 4100K which should match the stock HIDs exactly and another site had them at 4000K. One site had the Razo Premium White Zero is rated at 4500K which should be a brighter than the stock HIDs, another site had them at 4550K.

What does it mean when the bulb packaging says stuff like 55W=110W? I see a lot of stuff like that on various bulb pages, the two different wattage numbers. Can I put these in the fog lights without melting the lenses or is the wattage too high?

Last edited by Sam Khoury; 09-26-02 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-26-02, 07:06 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

OK I'm going crazy here because I've been searching the web and I found a couple of other 9006 type bulbs rated at 4100K which should match the stock HIDs exactly.

The first is a PIAA line of bulbs called the Platinum Spark. Here's one link to a place that sells them.

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/piaa/bodymainpiaa.html

The other bulb is a Nokya Arctic White. Here's one link to a place that sells them.

http://www.autothing.com/catalog/nok...006_811313.htm

The thing is about these Nokya bulbs is that they are very inexpensive, only $30 for a pair. I'm wondering if anybody has heard anything about them. I'm wondering if the expression "you get what you pay for" applies here.
Old 09-26-02, 10:58 PM
see_fu
Pole Position

kelvin rating doesn't determine color just in case you ddin't know.
Old 09-27-02, 03:36 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Originally posted by see_fu
kelvin rating doesn't determine color just in case you ddin't know.
Really? I didn't know. I assumed since the kelvin rating determined brightness that it would have an affect on the color. So you're saying that I can simply match lights based on the kelvin rating? Then the only way is by trial and error and to get experiences from others on CL.
Old 09-27-02, 10:12 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SK - a couple quick pointers

- Kelvin is a measure of temperature.

- Higher K does not mean "brighter"; higher K usually translates into "bluer", which as a matter of fact is less bright since our eyes cannot see as much of it.

- Matching halogen bulbs to HID is nearly impossible, so if you match the K closely, there will still be some difference, especially in how the lamp housing is constructed which of course effects how the light looks.

"55W=110W" means that the 55W bulbs are as bright as 110W, but still only use 55W; this is good.

HTH
Old 09-27-02, 11:49 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Thanks Dex for the info. I always want to learn.

I remembered from high school science class that kelvin was a temperature scale but I figured that when applied to bulbs it translated into brightness.
Old 09-27-02, 01:18 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

None of these bulbs are true HID's right!? So they will never be as bright as the Stock headlights right (but brighter than stock fog lights)? You need to buy a kit with the HID's.

Quick Reply: Which fog light bulbs will match stock HIDs?