GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: How did you attach your TTE front lip?
I molded that SOB on!
19.05%
Just the supplied adhesive.
9.52%
I used the supplied stuff then bolted it.
4.76%
I/bodyshop used some extra sticky stuff.
19.05%
I/bodyshop used sticky stuff and bolted it.
28.57%
Don't know but it hasn't fallen off yet.
19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

How did you attach your TTE front lip????

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-02, 12:59 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did you attach your TTE front lip????

Finally going to get going on mine....

Please post any problems and fixes!!!!

Also, what adhesive if you didn't use the stock stuff.

If you bolted it, where did you put the bolts?

Thanks.

Ryan

Last edited by AgGS400; 09-25-02 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-25-02, 01:07 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Bodyshop used some extra sticky stuff plus the two bolts that came with it that don't do much.

They used the same stuff to re-attach it when I hit a racoon a while back . No problems with it coming off (unless you hit varmits).

For the first install, they had to do some significant heating of the lip to make it form to the car as well.

I can find out the name of the stuff if you want me to call. I recall it was developed by General Motors R&D.
Old 09-25-02, 01:13 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bodyshop

They did mine with urethane to urethane bonding epoxy, and the supplied screws that attach on the bottom, along the sides. Don't know if they needed to heat it o fit better, but mine's on for 2+years no problems.
Old 09-25-02, 01:18 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

My bodyshop just used the supplied adhesives and the five screws that came with the lip.

It is on the bumper pretty good. Just need to make sure that you secure the lip real well in the first hour when you apply the adhesives.
Old 09-25-02, 04:16 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

mine kept falling off so I just screwed the SOB on
Old 09-25-02, 04:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if you screw it on, where you put the screw?
Old 09-25-02, 04:44 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

unfortunately on the front, very very small black screws is what I used and my car is black so you cant really see them unless of course you are looking for them and are really close to it.I was kinda at my wits end and just fed up with the thing not sticking after several adhesives didnt work, plus future plans call for a new front end so that made it easier to decide on the screws.i wouldnt necissarily reccomend it though.

here is a pic where you can see the screws, one in the middle above the emblem and one on each side right on the edge, again not the best cosmetic choice but hey what are ya gonna do
Attached Thumbnails How did you attach your TTE front lip????-tte4.jpg  
Old 09-25-02, 07:02 PM
Zulfie
Driver

Default TTE Install

Heres my experience with my install.

I first fitted the spoiler on the car with someone's help, drilled all the holes on the car for the pre-drilled holes on the spoiler. I noticed that the middle section in the front wasn't fitting well, so I drilled two additional holes ( underneath of course ) right around the area of the fog lights and used 2 long galvanized screws. PERFECT FIT

I then took it off and had a body shop spray it. I then let it sit for a week for extra curing time.

Next use the sand paper that comes with the kit to scratch up the areas on the spoiler where the epoxy is going to be applied. You want to do this, because it provides a better surface for the epoxy to adhere to. I bought additional sand paper to do it right.

Next clean the front of the car with the paint cleaner that is included, clean it well, I washed the car first, then cleaned with the paint cleaner. Also clean off all sand residue from the spoiler.

This is where you'll need help again, PRE-CAUTIONARY, fit the spoiler on the car again to make sure that there wasn't any warping of the spoiler when it was painted, if everything is good, then its EPOXY TIME.

Cut a small hole on the applicator and start spreading away on the spoiler, get every contact point, don't overuse, because it will squeeze out all over the place when you install it.

Now comes the fun part, get you help and working from one end to the other start screwing it down on the car. When you're done, wipe off any residual epoxy with a damp rag, and using some of the paint cleaner.

Now use some heavy duty paint tape ( I used the green roll from Home Depot ), and tape the spoiler from underneath to the nose of the car or even up to the hood. Don't worry, the tape won't damage the paint.

Let it sit overnight for for at least 4-5 hours to harden. You may end up with some small gaps, but that's alright, I used some wooden matches to apply some more of the epoxy to it, just to make sure.

That's it, you're done, its really not that bad to install, and you can have the body shop do it, as long as you trust them to do it right. I don't trust anyone, so I try to do everything myself, as long as I don't need a whole car lift.

This is probably more than you were expecting for a POLL question, but in case anyone else is going to do it themselves, this is instructions that I would give them.

Late!

Last edited by Zulfie; 09-25-02 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-25-02, 08:34 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Zulfie,
cant speak for others, but i appreciate your detail! thanks.
Old 09-25-02, 09:23 PM
Zulfie
Driver

Default Mumbles

Thanks, I'm glad that it is helpful for someone. Feel free to PM me if you have questions...

Late!
Old 09-26-02, 01:51 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Zulfie,

Like mumbles said thank you for the detailed post on your installation experience with the TTE lip.. I just got the lip not too long ago and we're gonna repaint the whole front end of the GS next year so thus I haven't installed it.. Where the TTE logo goes I was considering getting my body shop to fill that in for a cleaner look (Don't like the logo).. Do you forsee any issues doing that.. Would appreciate anyones help who reads this.. THANKS!
Old 09-26-02, 09:51 AM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Default Z....

That is exactly the level of detail I was hoping for!

Thanks a bunch.

R
Old 09-26-02, 07:41 PM
Zulfie
Driver

Default Savvy

The body shop should have no problem filling that in, it should be quite easy. I wished that I had done that myslef, but really didn't think about it until I installed it on the car. That would definitely make it look cleaner....
Old 09-26-02, 07:44 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Zulfie.. I'll post up pics once the guys at Legendary Motor Car get their hands on the TTE Lip.. I think someone else has done this to their TTE lip already thou.. Can't remember off the top of my head..
Old 12-09-02, 09:14 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The proxy that comes with the TTE is horrible. It will come right out during very hot days. My body shop put it on for me and they used the body shop super proxy adhesive. This stuff really holds it in place. Don't want it flying off during high speeds.
The only downside is, if I catch something like a bump in the road, I can do some serious damage and tear my whole front bumper off. So far so good, with about 3k on the car since the TTE lip has been installed.

Quick Reply: How did you attach your TTE front lip????