GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I Think the GS Has the Best Lexus Interior Design

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-02, 02:31 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Think the GS Has the Best Lexus Interior Design

This thread is NOT intended to slam or put down other Lexus models!

Now that I've had my GS for a few months and I've had a chance to sit in or drive all the other Lexus models, I have come to the conclusion that the GS is the best-designed car Lexus has come out with. I had expected the LS to be even more posh, but I found the interior design to be a little helter-skelter. On the GS, all the switches are logically placed and look like they belong where they are. In the LS, for example, there are blank plates covering some areas (for future options, perhaps?), and controls are scattered all over the cockpit. When driving an RX as a loaner, I had trouble figuring out the radio and climate controls--they just didn't seem as intuitive as the GS ones. The SC interior definitely didn't feel up to Lexus standards--too much gaudy wood and again controls were plopped seemingly at random.

Has anyone else noticed this, or am I out to lunch?
Old 09-26-02, 02:40 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The new LS and SC are way better quality. less plasticy. less toyota. I wish I had the LS interior in my GS. LS much more solid interior.
Old 09-26-02, 05:08 PM
LexFather

I'm with Iceman on this one.
Old 09-26-02, 05:52 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm with Iceman on this one.

Count me in on this too

I have the ML and Nav package and I can't say that it's better then the LS with ML and Nav package, but I can sure as hell say that it's better then any 540 or E430, I like benzes and Beemers but the interior cannot come close to our lexus's

ShOwGS
Old 09-26-02, 07:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

It's important to separate material quality, overall aesthetics, and ergonomics.

I'll take material quality and aesthetics of the LS over my GS, but I *LOVE* the ergonomics on my GS - everything falls at hand.
Old 09-26-02, 08:31 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

I'll be honest, I was hoping that the new SC would inherit the GS's illuminescent dash, which I think is fantastic, but I do love all that wood in the SC though. I wonder if the next gen GS will have more or less throughout ??
Old 09-26-02, 09:08 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as far as looks, i would have to go with the ES. that burgundy wood with the tan leather is stinkin incredible.......

Doc
Old 09-26-02, 10:57 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bitkahuna
It's important to separate material quality, overall aesthetics, and ergonomics.
That's true, those can all be separate items. But IMO the GS has the best of all worlds. Of course this is coming from a guy who didn't used to think there was a difference between the quality of leather in a TL Type-S and a GS, but to me the GS and LS are similar in that regard. Aesthetically the GS layout is more pleasing to me also--the LS is somehow too plain.
Old 09-27-02, 03:30 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: I Think the GS Has the Best Lexus Interior Design

Originally posted by Iceman
This thread is NOT intended to slam or put down other Lexus models!

Now that I've had my GS for a few months and I've had a chance to sit in or drive all the other Lexus models, I have come to the conclusion that the GS is the best-designed car Lexus has come out with. I had expected the LS to be even more posh, but I found the interior design to be a little helter-skelter. On the GS, all the switches are logically placed and look like they belong where they are. In the LS, for example, there are blank plates covering some areas (for future options, perhaps?), and controls are scattered all over the cockpit. When driving an RX as a loaner, I had trouble figuring out the radio and climate controls--they just didn't seem as intuitive as the GS ones. The SC interior definitely didn't feel up to Lexus standards--too much gaudy wood and again controls were plopped seemingly at random.

unfortinatly some of people going disagree with you but i'm personaly a 100% agree
Old 09-27-02, 04:55 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

I think GS's instrument panel is one of its most attractive features: even though it is 4+ yrs old, it is still excellent looking and does not feel dated.

But you only need to check out the little things in the new LS to appreciate just how much thought went into the design.

For example, check out the front cupholder on an LS - one of the most beautiful and functional designs that I've seen. The GS cupholder belongs on the Tercel.

Check out the front-seat belt buckle holders: they have two greeen LEDs to guide your seatbelt buckle in the night.

Also, IMO, the front panel center is much more attractive in the LS. I am willing to bet that the next GS is going to have some of that.

Now, whether this will be because of cost-saving or because of its superior esthetics is another question .
Old 09-27-02, 06:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally posted by DrRick
as far as looks, i would have to go with the ES. that burgundy wood with the tan leather is stinkin incredible.......
Not sure if you're kidding or not. I thought that reddish wood looked CHEAP. I LOVE the burled walnut on the GS though.
Old 09-28-02, 12:20 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I Think the GS Has the Best Lexus Interior Design

Originally posted by Iceman
No, you're not out to lunch. You're just a proud owner with a biased opinion, like many of us.
Old 09-28-02, 01:22 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna

Not sure if you're kidding or not. I thought that reddish wood looked CHEAP. I LOVE the burled walnut on the GS though.
actually, bit, i wasnt kidding. i happen to think that the burgundy wood was very classy. but to each his own......

Doc
Old 09-28-02, 02:06 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my take. The GS gets the award in terms of seats, wheels, outside body design, engine, and e-shift(400).

The LS gets the award for solid feel (close the doors and you'll know which is the better one), little touches here and there like Vlad said- I'll add the electric headrest mover, seatbelt height adjustments, rear radio controls, individual passenger lights on all corners, the suspension - yeah it's softer but it has a more planted feel than the GS and therefore less scary to drive, and rear seats.
Old 09-28-02, 04:40 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, the only thing I don't like about the GS is its interior!!! I'm not a fan of the funny looking huge center console airvents in non-nav cars.

My favorite interiors are :

1. SC430- flawless

2. LS430- a luxury feel like no other, as the Chicago Tribune said, "Enough wood in the interior to make a canoe".

3. 02 ES300- mind blowing for a $35k car!!

4. RX300 NAV- very innovative

5. IS300- "racy" look good for some like me

For some reason, the GS interior doesn't appeal to me. There's nothing special about it....Some say the gauges...the RSX and Jetta have nicer gauges in my books...Hopefully, the 04 model will hit it right.

Quick Reply: I Think the GS Has the Best Lexus Interior Design