GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

FAQ: GM LSx Engine Swap into 91-2005 GS300/400/430 / 01-05 IS300 / 91-00 SC300/400

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 06:42 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NEbiker10
Mike you need to make some driving videos!!
broke my left elbow 2 weeks ago. In a cast now so I cant drive the GS for awhile.

i will make some in a month or so
Old 03-15-12, 04:28 AM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmmmm, I'm ]Interested in doin an LS1 auto into a 2GS.
Old 05-23-12, 05:06 PM
defuse
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you doing for A/C or Heater and PS

I am in the middle of mine but I was wondering what is going to need to be done to get those to work?
Old 05-23-12, 06:34 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by defuse
What are you doing for A/C or Heater and PS

I am in the middle of mine but I was wondering what is going to need to be done to get those to work?
My A/C, Power Steering and Heat are all functioning.

good luck with your swap. what mounts are you using?
Old 05-26-12, 07:38 PM
2CPT8
Driver School Candidate

Any plans to get it bar'd yet?
Old 05-28-12, 04:16 AM
defuse
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AMSMIKE
My A/C, Power Steering and Heat are all functioning.

good luck with your swap. what mounts are you using?

I am going to fab my own, I have done mounts before for swaps.
On paper I have most of the wiring figured out..... The reason I was was wondering about the PS/AC/Heat was the PS has a Solenoid , and heat has the actuator outside the firewall..... Being the digital style climate control unit I wasn't sure how all that interacted with the new stuff

What did you go with for throttle body drive by wire?
Old 05-28-12, 07:53 AM
gs400rpg
Driver

I've heard you can even build your own brand new ls7 or ls9 right at the GM plant. I have no clue what the extra costs are.

Would be interesting to know what advantages there are for the different LSX motors? Size, Power differences, durability, easy of installation, availability of parts ect...
Old 06-04-12, 04:43 PM
Abdul913
Driver School Candidate

Default Sc530

So I'm doing a 5.3 lsx in a sc300 already was MT stock. Found the 1350 adaptor so is the 1350 flange meaning a cv flange? Not to sound dumb just getting into fr cars and leaving Hondas lol
Old 06-28-12, 08:52 AM
boosted4.6
Pole Position

Get the driftmotion adaptor. The adaptor goes from Toyota/lexus 3 bolt pattern to a 1350 style. Then go to your nearest driveline shop, take them a stock f-body driveshaft and tell them that you want to convert the u-joint and flange to a 1350. Thats it. Done. No lengthening, no shortening, no nothing. Bolt it up and go! Ask me how I know this lol
Old 06-28-12, 10:58 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdul913
So I'm doing a 5.3 lsx in a sc300 already was MT stock. Found the 1350 adaptor so is the 1350 flange meaning a cv flange? Not to sound dumb just getting into fr cars and leaving Hondas lol
1350 is just the u-joint style. Toyota uses a 3-bolt flange, and Chevy uses a 4-bolt.

Originally Posted by boosted4.6
Get the driftmotion adaptor. The adaptor goes from Toyota/lexus 3 bolt pattern to a 1350 style.
Yup. Although I have GTE not a LSx I do have the DM adapter as I'm manual trans swap and am using a one piece aluminum 3.5" shaft with 4-bolt flange and 1350 Spicer joints.

Here is the adapter installed:

Old 07-22-12, 02:45 PM
Antoans4
Driver School Candidate

is this swap ever done in a LS400?
Old 12-13-12, 03:36 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Love the swap!

No CEL problems huh? And the only thing you had to delete was ABS/VEL/Trac-Control?
Old 12-14-12, 04:20 AM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
Love the swap!

No CEL problems huh? And the only thing you had to delete was ABS/VEL/Trac-Control?
correct. Although I had to pull the bulb on the trac control so the light wasn't on all the time since there is no trac control what so ever.
Old 12-14-12, 08:29 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Mike, this is a really cool swap and I am surprised that not more people have done it. I also like that you went with the LS2 6.0 which is step above the LS1 but doesn't break the bank like the LS7. There are no shortage of guys that are making 400-425rwhp with exhaust, cam, under-drive pulleys, intake manifold, and tune. So the LS2 is a great choice and they sell for about $4500 with all accessories and T56 with reasonable mileage. I have a few questions and I apologize if you brushed over these points above already:

a.) What part of So-Cal are you located? Wish you were closer to me so I can pick you brain more, lol

b.) I like that you used an external clutch pedal. Is it sufficiently spaced from the brake pedal? Looks pretty close, but it may be the camera angle. If you were to do it again, would you use the Wilwood part or get the IS300 assembly? Is the is300 assembly a bolt-in?

c.) If you have a GS400/GS430, what would you think about using the stock radiator/fan assembly? I am guessing it would be fine for a street car that doesn't see any major endurance stress.

d.) I'm really curious as to what the process was to get it smog legal. Can you shed some light on this?

e.) Were you ever able to figure out the water gauge? Or do you constantly have the OBD-II port occuppied for the water temp read-out?

f.) Do you know how much variation there is between the T56 that comes in the LS1, LS2, LS3, etc etc...? I'm sure that the LS2 T56 from the GTO is plenty strong.

g.) I just read that the engine mounts and tranny mount combo costs in the ballpark of $1000, LOL! That's nuts! I guess it's due to low volume. I would think if the demand was higher, we would be getting these parts for $200-300 max.

h.) Tell us about the AC. I assume you are using the GTO compressor?

i.) Just curious, what year is your car and what did you pay for the engine/tranny? Mileage?

j.) What bolt-ons do you have to make that 373 HP? It looks like most 05-06 GTOs dno right around 350rwhp SAE with the M6

k.) In post44 you mentioned that you removed the STOCK MASTER CYLINDER ABS/VSC. How then do you still have ABS?

And lastly, you have to get us some videos man!
Old 12-15-12, 09:39 AM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
Mike, this is a really cool swap and I am surprised that not more people have done it. I also like that you went with the LS2 6.0 which is step above the LS1 but doesn't break the bank like the LS7. There are no shortage of guys that are making 400-425rwhp with exhaust, cam, under-drive pulleys, intake manifold, and tune. So the LS2 is a great choice and they sell for about $4500 with all accessories and T56 with reasonable mileage. I have a few questions and I apologize if you brushed over these points above already:

a.) What part of So-Cal are you located? Wish you were closer to me so I can pick you brain more, lol

b.) I like that you used an external clutch pedal. Is it sufficiently spaced from the brake pedal? Looks pretty close, but it may be the camera angle. If you were to do it again, would you use the Wilwood part or get the IS300 assembly? Is the is300 assembly a bolt-in?
There is plenty of room between the clutch and brake. Its in the pwerfect spot and seems very natural when driving. I would go with the combo i did all day long. loving it.

c.) If you have a GS400/GS430, what would you think about using the stock radiator/fan assembly? I am guessing it would be fine for a street car that doesn't see any major endurance stress.
for a few hundred bucks, i would get the largest radiator and fan you can fit. These motors like to run hot. Why skimp on a stock rad/fan and risk over heating. even the stock GTO rad sucks. everyone complains.

d.) I'm really curious as to what the process was to get it smog legal. Can you shed some light on this?
make sure all your OBD2 is working with all the smog equip from the donor car. motor must be from a car (not a truck) and newer and more efficient than motor being removed.

e.) Were you ever able to figure out the water gauge? Or do you constantly have the OBD-II port occuppied for the water temp read-out?
not even worth it to me, the water temp gauge sucks anyway. I would MUCH rather have a number in degrees F than the gauge. Its precise. So I will stick to the scangauge

f.) Do you know how much variation there is between the T56 that comes in the LS1, LS2, LS3, etc etc...? I'm sure that the LS2 T56 from the GTO is plenty strong.
T56 is a T56. The only diff is the bell housings for ford/chevy/dodge

g.) I just read that the engine mounts and tranny mount combo costs in the ballpark of $1000, LOL! That's nuts! I guess it's due to low volume. I would think if the demand was higher, we would be getting these parts for $200-300 max.
they are made to order. if you had them mass produced 50-100 sets it would probably be half the price. not something i want to invest in. Plus everything is manufactured here locally in the USA

h.) Tell us about the AC. I assume you are using the GTO compressor?
GTO compressor, lexus condenser, all custom lines. Another member here helped me figure out the AC system, had issues triggering the compressor at first. Now it all works perfectly

i.) Just curious, what year is your car and what did you pay for the engine/tranny? Mileage?
this doesn't matter

j.) What bolt-ons do you have to make that 373 HP? It looks like most 05-06 GTOs dno right around 350rwhp SAE with the M6
exhaust, JBA shorty headers, K&N intake and HP Tuners

k.) In post44 you mentioned that you removed the STOCK MASTER CYLINDER ABS/VSC. How then do you still have ABS?
I don't have ABS, removed it ALL

And lastly, you have to get us some videos man!
no videos, sorry man
I tried to answer the best I can

Quick Reply: FAQ: GM LSx Engine Swap into 91-2005 GS300/400/430 / 01-05 IS300 / 91-00 SC300/400