GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Can I raise my engine via the oil pan? (motor mounts diy)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 09:49 AM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yo OP are you near Tampa?
Old 09-19-11, 10:28 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by starfyrels
I read in another thread that you would have to drop the subframe out front just a little bit in order to give yourself some more clearance to work with.
I had to do that; I could not have reached the bolts otherwise, at least not on a GS430. Maybe others have skinnier or more flexible arms, I dunno. Here are some pics and discussion of what I did:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5824463-post29.html

I lifted the motor up an inch or so by the pan, no problems there.

It's not going to fall on you .

Last edited by lyonkster; 09-19-11 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-19-11, 10:54 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

That's probably why I didn't have to drop the subframe. I removed those 4 bolts instead of the large one on top of the engine mount. Didn't want to risk rounding the nut at all, especially at a weird angle.
Old 09-19-11, 11:05 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by GSteg
That's probably why I didn't have to drop the subframe. I removed those 4 bolts instead of the large one on top of the engine mount. Didn't want to risk rounding the nut at all, especially at a weird angle.
That was my first thought too, but like I said in the other thread, I could not break loose those bolts. I used an impact, I used a breaker bar, and they would not budge. I did not want to snap the heads of the bolts off, so I loosened the big nut instead. But if the OP can break loose those four bolts, it'd proably be an easier job.
Old 09-19-11, 04:52 PM
krispl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you're working on a V8 I'm assuming? (sorry didn't take time to readt entire thread).
I did it on my GS430 and it was very challanging but totaly doable!
You will have to lower subframe plus this will be the easiest way to go about it. Other way is to try to get the entire bracket off witnh mount attached to it. I actually have a thread on here somwhere with pics and yes you will have to raise entire egine about and inch or so:.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...t-attempt.html
Old 09-19-11, 06:36 PM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krispl
So you're working on a V8 I'm assuming? (sorry didn't take time to readt entire thread).
I did it on my GS430 and it was very challanging but totaly doable!
You will have to lower subframe plus this will be the easiest way to go about it. Other way is to try to get the entire bracket off witnh mount attached to it. I actually have a thread on here somwhere with pics and yes you will have to raise entire egine about and inch or so:.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...t-attempt.html
Yeah, forgot to add -- its my GS400.

I looked down from the top and theres no way to access or hit those bolts. I have to look and see where the brackets are.

If I lower the subframe; will I be able to push it back up? Does it mess with the lower camber eccentric bolts at all? I just got a third alignment and dont want to mess with that if at all possible.

I have a few jacks to use and a few stands.

I'm going to sears tomorrow to get some extensions, swivel impacts and the mounts are already on order from sewell.

I did my tranny mount a few months ago and my vibrations went away for a bit. A few days ago I got back my shakes and I'm having a feeling this will solve the issue indefinitely.

I'll try to get pics if I can. Maybe a video.
Old 09-26-11, 07:59 AM
krispl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by starfyrels
Yeah, forgot to add -- its my GS400.

I looked down from the top and theres no way to access or hit those bolts. I have to look and see where the brackets are.

If I lower the subframe; will I be able to push it back up? Does it mess with the lower camber eccentric bolts at all? I just got a third alignment and dont want to mess with that if at all possible.

I have a few jacks to use and a few stands.

I'm going to sears tomorrow to get some extensions, swivel impacts and the mounts are already on order from sewell.

I did my tranny mount a few months ago and my vibrations went away for a bit. A few days ago I got back my shakes and I'm having a feeling this will solve the issue indefinitely.

I'll try to get pics if I can. Maybe a video.
Yes you should be able to raise it back up. When I replaced my mounts I was also doing my Daizen front bushings so it was much easier since i had some parts of front suspension out of the way.
1) Raise the car
2) Raise the engine on oil pan
3') Loosen subframe
4) Loosen engine mounts

In this thread I have a pic of a 17 wrench I used to get to them.

Remember: safety first!
Old 09-26-11, 05:47 PM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reserving this space....waiting to see what happens with my mounts....

Last edited by starfyrels; 09-27-11 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-26-11, 05:52 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

That package should have never left the shipper's hands, not with those mounts just thrown in the box with no padding. Embarrassing.

Good luck with Fedex, I nearly took them to court over a furnace they dropped at my door - dropped so hard that the bottom dented and the motor fell out. They said it was not their fault but the shipper's.