GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

SUICIDE TRUNK, I DID IT, check it out

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-02, 06:31 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CSHFLW - Actually, the wheels with low profile tires gives me better handling as does the lowering in addition to improved aesthetics...the body kit is strictly aesthetic but it's something you can appreciate all the time (like the wheels and lowering). Tell me how a folding trunk is useful at all or aesthetically pleasing considering you'll only notice it when it's open and you don't drive with your trunk open (well, you might). There are some mods that are worth doing...and many that aren't.

For example, a GT style wings on a front wheel drive car that can hardly break 100 mph is pointless...just like a unstable folding trunk...like I said, interesting, but rice.

And tell me how my 20's and body kit make my car less functional? (this should be good)
Old 10-02-02, 11:11 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Man-O-War
...tell me how my 20's and body kit make my car less functional? (this should be good)
Two words...Speed and Bump
Two More...Pot and Hole
Final two...Railroad and Tracks

For the record, I have 19s and am moving to 20s. Practicality is of no concern to me. CSHFLW was trying to make a point. Look at his profile, he's one of the most "impractical" guys here!

Todd
Old 10-02-02, 03:42 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

I just don't like people who sit on their high horse and preach to everyone.

The idea is that it looks nice when you open your trunk, thats it....like a Carbon fiber engine cover...looks nice when you open your hood. I don't even have a trunk, so this would work for me and doesn't make it impractical at all. So I guess I'm wrong though for some reason....
Old 10-02-02, 04:43 PM
nismo270R
Rookie

Originally posted by Rico's Revenge

Two words...Speed and Bump
Two More...Pot and Hole
Final two...Railroad and Tracks

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Wow that was better than a ricer talking about a spoiler on his FWD Honda.
Old 10-02-02, 04:48 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by nismo270R
Wow that was better than a ricer talking about a spoiler on his FWD Honda.
Why? It's true....
Old 10-02-02, 05:21 PM
Paradise
Rookie

Someone has boldly gone where few or no-one has gone before on their Lec and for experimenting and sharing their results they should receive appreciation. I appreciate it.

Asthetics are a personal choice.

The more people who do this the more mods we can choose from. It's all good.

I would like to hear from anyone who has trie or succeded in installing the LS rear seat drinks cooler in a GS by the way.
Old 10-02-02, 07:36 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rico - I have no problems with speed bump, pot holes, and railroad tracks. I never flew over them at 100 MPH even on stock wheels so it's no different now. And even with STOCK wheels you can bend them on a pot hole (ask Lex400SC about that). I drive around on 20's all day long. Doesn't seem that impractical to me. It doesn't prevent my car from going fast, it doesn't prevent me from turning, it doesn't prevent me from driving places I didn't drive before. CSHFLW was trying to make a point, but it's not a good one.

CSHFLW - Ah yes, you're one to talk Mr. I'm-A-Wheel-Expert... It looks nice? It looks BROKEN. I guess if you're more concerned with earning that extra point at a Ricer car show, then yeah, I can see it's value...

Paradise - Now THAT mod would be worth doing...

Like I said before, there are mods that are worth doing and ones that are just a waste of time and energy. It would be pointless to stick a huge hood scoop on a Lexus (espeically when it's NA)...if someone did that, should we be cheering for that? How about a Phanton Top SC with some nice gold fender trim? People should be more selective with mods. Think them through...not just do it so then can compete with ricers at the local Import Ricer Car Show.
Old 10-02-02, 07:55 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Manaray
Rico - I have no problems with speed bump, pot holes, and railroad tracks. I never flew over them at 100 MPH even on stock wheels so it's no different now. And even with STOCK wheels you can bend them on a pot hole (ask Lex400SC about that). I drive around on 20's all day long. Doesn't seem that impractical to me. It doesn't prevent my car from going fast, it doesn't prevent me from turning, it doesn't prevent me from driving places I didn't drive before. CSHFLW was trying to make a point, but it's not a good one.

CSHFLW - Ah yes, you're one to talk Mr. I'm-A-Wheel-Expert... It looks nice? It looks BROKEN. I guess if you're more concerned with earning that extra point at a Ricer car show, then yeah, I can see it's value...

Paradise - Now THAT mod would be worth doing...

Like I said before, there are mods that are worth doing and ones that are just a waste of time and energy. It would be pointless to stick a huge hood scoop on a Lexus (espeically when it's NA)...if someone did that, should we be cheering for that? How about a Phanton Top SC with some nice gold fender trim? People should be more selective with mods. Think them through...not just do it so then can compete with ricers at the local Import Ricer Car Show.
Do you always have to be right?

are your trying to say that me trying to see if a new DIY mod works was a waste of time? i dunno man....

BTW: for those who DO appriciate people trying new stuff so others could learn/know more about things that are out there.. I thank you for letting me state my findings im not trying to get cridet or trying to say im badass and i can do things others cant... think about it... its not like im getting a big prize for posting things i try.... im only doing it to help others out .. just to show that different things are possible...

as i said... i tried it.. it wasnt so stable.. mayb someone can come up with a better idea to make it work better and be more stable...

remmber.. when Xsuperjoe... came up with the idea.. with chrome door sills to make the chrome front grille.... most did it.... then later on the idea became even more intresting when some more peopel did research and found out you can use paint thinner
to thin away factory paint and get real chrome... i dont think any idea should go down the drain, cause next thing you know.. it can be big... things you think is RICER may not be the same to others.... and not all carshows are "ricer".
Old 10-02-02, 08:10 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whether rice or not or whatever the issue is, i think it isn't a mod really worth doing, but the process of doing it and converting back is worth the time. you learn something from doing it all and had the fun also.

for most, this is a horrible mod, but for guys like cshflw or erick, it has a strong purpose. some shouldn't do it, others should...
Old 10-02-02, 08:21 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bravo261
whether rice or not or whatever the issue is, i think it isn't a mod really worth doing, but the process of doing it and converting back is worth the time. you learn something from doing it all and had the fun also.

for most, this is a horrible mod, but for guys like cshflw or erick, it has a strong purpose. some shouldn't do it, others should...
hey some like it.. some dont...

some people think ferraries are ugly... but hey ... thats their opinion.
Old 10-02-02, 10:22 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Can I get a AMEN????
Old 10-02-02, 11:04 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by CamRen

.... and not all carshows are "ricer".
I think some people are just jeolous....
Old 10-03-02, 12:57 AM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by CSHFLW

I think some people are just jeolous....
you can say that again
Old 10-03-02, 04:02 AM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Being the new guy, I really hate to say this, but...

Manaray, you are taking something that's completely subjective and forcing your opinion on us.

You work by intimidation. That's not right. He showed us a mod. That's it. He didn't rant and rave about how much he loved it, yet you are ranting and raving about how much "rice" exists...

Say it once. You've expressed your opinion. That's understandable, but don't try and force what you think is "rice" on us.

What is the point in any of us sharing our modding experience if we've got people like you breathing over our shoulder, fully ready to scream "rice" as soon as we are done? There is no motivation.

Again, hope I didn't start anything, I'd hate to be that aweful new guy, but honestly, stop bullying people...I read your posts, and believe a vein is going to pop in your forhead from the irratation and stress you have to deal with from our simpleton mods...???

This doesn't exist in this post alone. Everytime I see your name in a thread, I fully expect to read "rice" somewhere in your post...

Tim

Last edited by TimDimman; 10-03-02 at 04:03 AM.
Old 10-03-02, 05:55 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys need to get off Manaray's back, he does raise a valid point. Mods performed for the sake of being different or unique, while not proving to have any benefit whatsoever (instead proving to be detrimental to performance, utility, and style) are considered RICE. Plain and simple. If it's a mod that is meant to "turn heads" because no one has seen it before, and it isn't an artful accent to the car's natural beauty, then it shouldn't be done. I think most here would agree wholeheartedly with that statement had it not been applied specifically to this thread.

Camren, I do commend you for reverting your trunk back to it's stock form in the end. You took the initiative to do an experimental mod and you didn't like it so you changed it back. Good for you! I'm just baffled as to why some members here are so stuck on the benign comment: "Kinda ricer, but interesting (ricer because it makes it LESS functional)". Read deeper and you'll find that Camren himself, as well as many others on this thread, indirectly acknowledged the exact same thing.

Quick Reply: SUICIDE TRUNK, I DID IT, check it out