GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2001 Speed Sensor (VSS) Wire Color

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 07:49 PM
IS300SA
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 Speed Sensor (VSS) Wire Color

Hey Guys going to feel like an idiot, i've been searching around on here and yahoo getting fed up on looking thought i would just ask maybe someone could answer it faster for me.

I installed the AVIC Z130BT a few weeks ago was doing some additions on the car thought i would go ahead and wire the speed sensor (VSS) for the nav (i know should have done it earlier but oh well lol). Now i've heard the Green wire behind the gauge cluster on the 18 pin connection but there are two, and then saw the purple/white under the steering wheel area.

What wire is it exactly? 2001 GS300.

Appreciate all the help i'll take the complaints about asking again lol
Thanks a head of time.
Old 09-19-11, 08:54 PM
IS300SA
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After some more tedious searching lol i found an answer going to have to try it tomorrow.

Thanks Kidd1 - if u have a gs 430 then its purple/white by the power steering ecu, The power steering ECU is between the driver kick and the ABS ECU.

if its a gs300 its red/blue 17 pin plug, pin #11, Located inside ECU box which is under hood on the drivers side.

So see if that answers my question. I'll post it up tomorrow for you guys appreciate everyone.
Old 02-11-12, 05:58 PM
2jslick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by IS300SA
After some more tedious searching lol i found an answer going to have to try it tomorrow.

Thanks Kidd1 - if u have a gs 430 then its purple/white by the power steering ecu, The power steering ECU is between the driver kick and the ABS ECU.

if its a gs300 its red/blue 17 pin plug, pin #11, Located inside ECU box which is under hood on the drivers side.

So see if that answers my question. I'll post it up tomorrow for you guys appreciate everyone.
hey IS300...so would u know of maybe how to fix or how to take care of the speed sensor on a gs300? i swapped a 2jzgte and now theres a engione code for the speed sensor... i dont know what to do or how to fix it any info on this matter?
Old 02-11-12, 06:52 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jslick
hey IS300...so would u know of maybe how to fix or how to take care of the speed sensor on a gs300? i swapped a 2jzgte and now theres a engione code for the speed sensor... i dont know what to do or how to fix it any info on this matter?
You posted this same issue in a different thread. And that's fine, but understand what he is doing doesn't pertain to your issue.

The GS VSS sensors your dealing with are on the transmission, they feed the engine ecu for shifting purposes.

The Speed sensor he is talking about is for the vehicles actual rolling speed that is displayed on the speedo, which is also tied into navigation systems, which is what he is trying to get hooked up.

The Speedo MPH signal is a feed that originates from the wheels ABS sensors, then to the ABS/VSC/TRAC ECU, then feed out to the Speedo, Power Steering Ecu, and Navigation Ecu (if equipped)
Old 02-11-12, 07:04 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Hey Guys going to feel like an idiot, i've been searching around on here and yahoo getting fed up on looking thought i would just ask maybe someone could answer it faster for me.

I installed the AVIC Z130BT a few weeks ago was doing some additions on the car thought i would go ahead and wire the speed sensor (VSS) for the nav (i know should have done it earlier but oh well lol). Now i've heard the Green wire behind the gauge cluster on the 18 pin connection but there are two, and then saw the purple/white under the steering wheel area.

What wire is it exactly? 2001 GS300.

Appreciate all the help i'll take the complaints about asking again lol
Thanks a head of time.
The wire changes color by the time it gets to the speedo cluster. You can tap the violet/white wire as is the origination point of the signal.

Here I highlighted the circuit your looking to tap into.

Last edited by 99 GS3; 02-11-12 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-11-12, 07:18 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

No need to hassle with running a wire into the engine bay, you really should use the violet-white wire under the dash that would have been feeding the OEM Navigation system. The GS300 has the same PPS power steering ecu with the same SPD feed to it.

Oh, and you mentioned there were two green wires at the speedo connector. This is correct, the other green one is the feed to the VSC warning light at the bottom of the cluster. If you have the cluster out of the car you could easily eliminate which wire this is by checking continuity between the where the bulb holder for the VSC light gets power from the circuit board to which connector pin the green wire is on, and then that means the other green wire is the SPD... But it's easy enough to get to the violet-purple wire down by the brake pedal.

Here is the other green wire on the cluster:

Old 02-12-12, 08:09 PM
2jslick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
You posted this same issue in a different thread. And that's fine, but understand what he is doing doesn't pertain to your issue.

The GS VSS sensors your dealing with are on the transmission, they feed the engine ecu for shifting purposes.

The Speed sensor he is talking about is for the vehicles actual rolling speed that is displayed on the speedo, which is also tied into navigation systems, which is what he is trying to get hooked up.

The Speedo MPH signal is a feed that originates from the wheels ABS sensors, then to the ABS/VSC/TRAC ECU, then feed out to the Speedo, Power Steering Ecu, and Navigation Ecu (if equipped)
Oh ok my bad yo I know how it gets when people make new threads about things that have Been already talked about but at this point I might just have to do that.... I've posted On a few other threads trying to find Answers. All I'm Trying to do is find a solution that's all. Thanks for explaining to me the Differences thou
Old 02-12-12, 08:28 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2jslick
Oh ok my bad yo I know how it gets when people make new threads about things that have Been already talked about but at this point I might just have to do that.... I've posted On a few other threads trying to find Answers. All I'm Trying to do is find a solution that's all. Thanks for explaining to me the Differences thou
It's all good man, I am only trying to help if possible, I had also replied with some info in the other thread you posted in. Hopefully it may help.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7010800-post78.html