GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Climate control malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-11, 01:41 PM
recha12d
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate control malfunction?

Lexus community,

I have around 225k miles on my 2001 GS430 and just noticed an issue with my air conditioning. Air is successfully blown out of the instrumental panel vents (center/side/rear) but when I select the bi-level or floor mode on my screen, no air comes out of the floor vents. It seems like the air flow doesn't get divided into two when I select the bi-level mode. It feels like 100% of the air is still coming out of the instrumental panel vents, as if I didn't change the setting.

Also, the air is not redirected to the windshield vents when I select the defogging/defrosting option.

Any ideas on a workaround or cost of repair?

Thank you for any feedback.
Old 09-20-11, 04:28 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Sounds like the climate control servos. Brian, correct me if I'm wrong. I have a feeling you'll be in here.
Old 09-21-11, 10:08 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by recha12d
Lexus community,

I have around 225k miles on my 2001 GS430 and just noticed an issue with my air conditioning. Air is successfully blown out of the instrumental panel vents (center/side/rear) but when I select the bi-level or floor mode on my screen, no air comes out of the floor vents. It seems like the air flow doesn't get divided into two when I select the bi-level mode. It feels like 100% of the air is still coming out of the instrumental panel vents, as if I didn't change the setting.

Also, the air is not redirected to the windshield vents when I select the defogging/defrosting option.

Any ideas on a workaround or cost of repair?

Thank you for any feedback.
this SORTA happened to a member and myself after replacing our servos we hooked the wrong plug up as they both the same size and both plug up either way (error on lexus's part) have you had a servo replaced lately or did they just start doing this? it does sound like a bad mode servo though. does it function in all modes/features correctly except those?

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Sounds like the climate control servos. Brian, correct me if I'm wrong. I have a feeling you'll be in here.
it SOUNDS like the mode servo but something seems off about what OP was saying so i will hold judgement for a sec

Last edited by sakataj; 09-21-11 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-21-11, 01:55 PM
recha12d
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
this SORTA happened to a member and myself after replacing our servos we hooked the wrong plug up as they both the same size and both plug up either way (error on lexus's part) have you had a servo replaced lately or did they just start doing this? it does sound like a bad mode servo though. does it function in all modes/features correctly except those?

it SOUNDS like the mode servo but something seems off about what OP was saying so i will hold judgement for a sec
To my knowledge, the servos have never been replaced in the car's lifetime. I just noticed this malfunction a couple days ago when I wanted the air to blow on my feet. The air will blow normally through the instrument panel vents when I press the respective button on my screen. It is just the floor vents and the bi-level options.

I don't know if this makes any difference but warm air does blow out. I set the temp at 80 and warm air was coming out within a minute after pulling out of the driveway. I didn't wait long enough to see if it would be hot but I figured if the air could be warmed up, it could heat up to the higher temperature if I waited long enough.
Old 09-22-11, 08:13 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by recha12d
To my knowledge, the servos have never been replaced in the car's lifetime. I just noticed this malfunction a couple days ago when I wanted the air to blow on my feet. The air will blow normally through the instrument panel vents when I press the respective button on my screen. It is just the floor vents and the bi-level options.

I don't know if this makes any difference but warm air does blow out. I set the temp at 80 and warm air was coming out within a minute after pulling out of the driveway. I didn't wait long enough to see if it would be hot but I figured if the air could be warmed up, it could heat up to the higher temperature if I waited long enough.
well those are 2 different servos so thats kind of moot. the temp servo does just like it sounds and controls the temperature, the mode servo also does what it sounds like and controls the mode.

as i said it sounds like you have a bad mode servo....

any issues with it making noises? or grinding?

BTW please next time search before making a post. this has been talked about a few times

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ield-only.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...a-c-noise.html

even more if u just search servo for the 2nd gen gs section

BTW if/when you want to replace this yourself

here is my DIY

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...vo-motors.html

someplace in their is a "repair" method that i tried and it didnt work but by all means try it as a few people swear by it