GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

In an accident - Need advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-11, 05:23 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Touche... fair enough Lexotic - every comp is different.
Old 09-27-11, 12:15 PM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the police report today, fairly clear cut that the other driver failed to yield right of way. I called her insurance company, Auto Owners Insurance and was told to call her agent. I called her agent and was told to fax the police report and estimate. Faxed all documents at about noon, didn't hear from them, called again at about 1:30 to confirm if they received the paperwork and they said yes, silence, had to ask them how do we move forward from here, and was told that there are 2 claims in front of me so they will get back with me as soon as possible.

Any pointers....or just wait?
Old 09-27-11, 12:28 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep pushing them, dont let them slack and put you on the bottom of the list.
Old 09-28-11, 12:00 PM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Got a call from Auto Owners Insurance (at-fault driver's insurance co.) and they say that an appraiser will call me within 24 hours to come assess the damage and then work with the body shop to agree on a price. I had faxed a copy of one of the estimates.

It sounds like I will be excluded from the process...how do I make sure the check is payable to me? It's sounding like I will just be told that we have agreed on a price with your body shop go ahead and take your car in for repairs, and already that sounds fishy to me that there will be an agreed upon price instead of how much it costs to repair the car. I'm getting worried, I'm a nice guy and I wanna arm myself with knowledge before they possibly twist my arm and cheat me.
Old 09-29-11, 11:39 AM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Adjuster came out today to look at car; I handed him two estimates $3,711 and 3,780 and he said he will have his own estimate sent to the insurance company by the end of the day. He ended up saying the bumper looks like it had prior damage on the passenger side, a dent, and his estimate will be to repair half of the bumper. I am just waiting to see how much lower it is going to be before all hell gets loose. Two shops having almost the same estimates should be indicative of how much it should cost to repair car.
Old 09-29-11, 03:21 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^^ those shops gave you that price since they knew it was insurance work... they all do that, so that they make more.

They charge for new door skins, etc, yet used doors in the same base color can be had for 150$, three minutes to install them, then sanding/filler in the quarter panel. I'd be inclined to say that the front pass. door would be buffable.

All this for <1.5k with paint.
Old 09-29-11, 04:08 PM
Silver'04
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wise2k

It sounds like I will be excluded from the process...how do I make sure the check is payable to me? It's sounding like I will just be told that we have agreed on a price with your body shop go ahead and take your car in for repairs, and already that sounds fishy to me that there will be an agreed upon price instead of how much it costs to repair the car.
Liability has been accepted, so the majority of your concerns should be already squared away. Also, don't be so concerned with the price, or getting the check sent to you. Cost only matters to the insurance company since they're paying the bill, not the customer......you just want your car repaired properly. No insurance company can make you repair your vehicle at ANY shop, whether they're on their direct repair network or not. They can recommend you to go somewhere, but it is illegal to make you repair your car at one of their shops. It's called steering, and I can assure you it's illegal. Again, don't look at the price. Look for a shop that is reputable, ask them questions, ask to see some of their work, ask friends. Talk to the shop estimator about how they would handle the claim if you repaired with them. How they would handle if the insurance said to do this, when the shop feels that they should do that. You have the final decision where to repair your car. Not even your own insurance can MAKE you repair your car at ANY body shop.....it's your choice.

Adjuster came out today to look at car; I handed him two estimates $3,711 and 3,780 and he said he will have his own estimate sent to the insurance company by the end of the day. He ended up saying the bumper looks like it had prior damage on the passenger side, a dent, and his estimate will be to repair half of the bumper. I am just waiting to see how much lower it is going to be before all hell gets loose. Two shops having almost the same estimates should be indicative of how much it should cost to repair car.
Was there prior damage on the bumper on that side? If there is , some insurance companies will make you pay a "betterment", meaning if there was prior damage that now gets repaired as part of this claim, you're vehicle is in better condition than it was prior to the accident. IMO, it's chicken sh-t, but who am I right? As far as them painting half the bumper, he may be referring to a partial refinish with full clear. He might be saying that they will feather edge the damage on the right side, prime, base that area and feather it out around the rear corner, and re-clear the entire bumper. That would be a alright, as long as the entire bumper gets cleared, and that they don't do just a spot paint or an open blend on the rear bumper. Again, no need to worry so much about the price......look for a reputable shop that does good work and can explain every line of the estimate to you. Any shop that values customer satisfaction will take the time to explain the claims and repair process to you.

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
^^ those shops gave you that price since they knew it was insurance work... they all do that, so that they make more.

They charge for new door skins, etc, yet used doors in the same base color can be had for 150$, three minutes to install them, then sanding/filler in the quarter panel. I'd be inclined to say that the front pass. door would be buffable.

All this for <1.5k with paint.
Haha, I wish it was that easy. Body shops give ridiculous discounts to Insurance companies every day because of direct repair contracts. And, as a matter of fact, most insurance companies will audit body shop written estimates, just to "manage" the repairs. Hmmmm, funny I thought the body shop was the experts on how to fix the car. Yet somebody else comes in and says to repair that part instead of replacing it because it's more cost effective?! Yet the shop is stuck with all the liability and has to warranty all the work that's done. I'd write to skin that door in a heart beat, if a used door was not available. But even if you found a used door in the same color, what's the chance there would be not 1 scratch or ding on a 10 year old door? Not to mention the fact that the color/finish/condition would not be the same as a new painted panel. 3 minutes to change a door??!!?!?!.......come to Hawaii and you've got your self a job. Not rippin' on you, but it's hard to hear people attack our industry when there are MANY reputable shops out there that do value doing a good job and helping people. Our family owns one of those shops, and to here somebody say "They all do that, so they'll make more" is completely false and doesn't apply to every body.
Old 09-29-11, 04:36 PM
milkyninja
Driver School Candidate

i say get a quote from shop. get a check made to you from her insurance company. and keep the money and forget the damage.
Old 09-29-11, 06:27 PM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by milkyninja
i say get a quote from shop. get a check made to you from her insurance company. and keep the money and forget the damage.
Lol, good idea If it was an ordinary car I would do that, but I love the car and I don't want the embarrassment of driving a Lexus but it's all beat up. But the rest of your information is on point.
Old 09-29-11, 06:29 PM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Silver'04, thanks for the detailed information. And thanks to everyone else, I will keep you all posted...still waiting on insurance company to let me know.
Old 09-29-11, 06:51 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Silver'04
Liability has been accepted, so the majority of your concerns should be already squared away. Also, don't be so concerned with the price, or getting the check sent to you. Cost only matters to the insurance company since they're paying the bill, not the customer......you just want your car repaired properly. No insurance company can make you repair your vehicle at ANY shop, whether they're on their direct repair network or not. They can recommend you to go somewhere, but it is illegal to make you repair your car at one of their shops. It's called steering, and I can assure you it's illegal. Again, don't look at the price. Look for a shop that is reputable, ask them questions, ask to see some of their work, ask friends. Talk to the shop estimator about how they would handle the claim if you repaired with them. How they would handle if the insurance said to do this, when the shop feels that they should do that. You have the final decision where to repair your car. Not even your own insurance can MAKE you repair your car at ANY body shop.....it's your choice.

Was there prior damage on the bumper on that side? If there is , some insurance companies will make you pay a "betterment", meaning if there was prior damage that now gets repaired as part of this claim, you're vehicle is in better condition than it was prior to the accident. IMO, it's chicken sh-t, but who am I right? As far as them painting half the bumper, he may be referring to a partial refinish with full clear. He might be saying that they will feather edge the damage on the right side, prime, base that area and feather it out around the rear corner, and re-clear the entire bumper. That would be a alright, as long as the entire bumper gets cleared, and that they don't do just a spot paint or an open blend on the rear bumper. Again, no need to worry so much about the price......look for a reputable shop that does good work and can explain every line of the estimate to you. Any shop that values customer satisfaction will take the time to explain the claims and repair process to you.

Haha, I wish it was that easy. Body shops give ridiculous discounts to Insurance companies every day because of direct repair contracts. And, as a matter of fact, most insurance companies will audit body shop written estimates, just to "manage" the repairs. Hmmmm, funny I thought the body shop was the experts on how to fix the car. Yet somebody else comes in and says to repair that part instead of replacing it because it's more cost effective?! Yet the shop is stuck with all the liability and has to warranty all the work that's done. I'd write to skin that door in a heart beat, if a used door was not available. But even if you found a used door in the same color, what's the chance there would be not 1 scratch or ding on a 10 year old door? Not to mention the fact that the color/finish/condition would not be the same as a new painted panel. 3 minutes to change a door??!!?!?!.......come to Hawaii and you've got your self a job. Not rippin' on you, but it's hard to hear people attack our industry when there are MANY reputable shops out there that do value doing a good job and helping people. Our family owns one of those shops, and to here somebody say "They all do that, so they'll make more" is completely false and doesn't apply to every body.
^^^ very well said!!! gotta love it when people try to tell you how to do your job...
Old 09-29-11, 07:03 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver'04
I work part time at a body shop... We got a silver GS in this week, 6k in damage, as per adjuster. Needed new doors, and b-pillar. Which we have sitting around. So there's the extra cash flow.

Quote for a new door, the adjuster doesn't know that we have parts cars, nor does he care. Regarding the scratches, yeah, i know, but at least a clean panel is a good start to respray without having to use filler for little dings.

Yes, i got the doors off within 3mins, i took off eight of them. lol

I stripped these two cars in a couple of weekends;
Old 09-29-11, 09:00 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
I work part time at a body shop... We got a silver GS in this week, 6k in damage, as per adjuster. Needed new doors, and b-pillar. Which we have sitting around. So there's the extra cash flow.

Quote for a new door, the adjuster doesn't know that we have parts cars, nor does he care. Regarding the scratches, yeah, i know, but at least a clean panel is a good start to respray without having to use filler for little dings.

Yes, i got the doors off within 3mins, i took off eight of them. lol

I stripped these two cars in a couple of weekends;
ok, 3min to take the door off. What about the door harness? remove and install... What about if the used door is not the same color? Where is the time to disassemble , sand, prep, and paint , for a door that isn't the same color? Even if the door was the same color you have to add time to align the panels. All in all you can't just add a used door and expect it to be perfect or the customer to be happy. Also warranty is always a huge issue on used parts that the body shop must in cure.
Old 09-30-11, 07:13 AM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Got a call from Insurance company saying they will pay $3,090 including an alignment. Is this fair?

They said as far as rental, I need to call them once the car is in the shop then they will work out a rental arrangement for me. Is that how it goes..?
Old 09-30-11, 09:36 AM
Silver'04
Lead Lap

Got a call from Insurance company saying they will pay $3,090 including an alignment. Is this fair?

They said as far as rental, I need to call them once the car is in the shop then they will work out a rental arrangement for me. Is that how it goes..?
Being that your car is safe to drive, you have the luxury of shopping for the shop that best suites you. The nice thing about liability being accepted is that you will have a rental (That the insurance will pay for) for the duration of your repairs. When you look for a shop, express to them your concern about a quality repair and that you don't want them to rush. Let them know that a quality repair is much more important than finishing the job in 3 days. Whether the shop finishes in 2 days or 2 weeks, you'll have that rental until the car is done.

Keep in mind that what you have is a preliminary estimate, and not a final bill or final payment to which ever shop you choose. When you look for your repair shop, call ahead, make an appointment, and ask the estimator to review the repairs with you and explain what the insurance company has "estimated" to do for the repairs. Ask his opinions on that insurance company and their claims handling policies. In the end, you may find out that it may be in your best interest to process through your own policy and get reimbursed. Again, not all insurance companies are created equal. But, if the estimator is comfortable with the preliminary estimate and can assure you that your car will be repaired properly and they can warranty their work, then you're all set. If there is any additional damage (parts or labor.....called a supplement) it will be billed directly to the insurance company handling the claim. Again, that's why I say don't be concerned with the price of the repair.

Quick Reply: In an accident - Need advise