GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

tte replica fitment

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-11, 07:13 PM
Lexustrung
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tte replica fitment

So I got my replica lip today and my buddy is painting it as we speak, just wondering for all you guys that have the replica what did you guys do to make it fit very well if any modifications were needed and what kind of epoxy did you guys use? also would u recommend sanding part of the bumper where the lip will overlap?
Old 09-23-11, 07:22 PM
Lexustrung
Rookie

tte replica lip

Last edited by Lexustrung; 02-01-12 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-23-11, 07:54 PM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Bump for info... im also interested in this lip as a for now item till I can get my aero.
Old 09-23-11, 08:05 PM
1lexus2c
Pole Position

I currently hVe my lip and extra bumper at the shop and getting painted..ive heard that fitment is good as the real ones..I'll post up here ones mine is done getting painted
Old 09-23-11, 08:06 PM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

How about your just show it to me in person??? LOL
Old 09-23-11, 08:12 PM
1lexus2c
Pole Position

Oh yeah and u can help me to install it lol

Here it might help u op

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...storation.html
Old 09-23-11, 08:15 PM
1lexus2c
Pole Position

Here this one will help you op

Old 09-23-11, 08:22 PM
Lexustrung
Rookie

Originally Posted by Looking4gs
thanks ill take a look at this thread right now
Old 09-23-11, 09:38 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The replica ones are good. I've seen a few in person and folks just use the 3M double sided tape. You can buy it off eBay. It holds it well. It's a skinny roll that's red. Acrylic double sided attachment tape to be exact.
Old 09-23-11, 09:47 PM
Lexustrung
Rookie

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
The replica ones are good. I've seen a few in person and folks just use the 3M double sided tape. You can buy it off eBay. It holds it well. It's a skinny roll that's red. Acrylic double sided attachment tape to be exact.
some people have said the 3m tape goes bad after awhile idk, i might go with the 3m windshield adhesive "the black stuff" or whatever its called. also the thing that bothers me are the 3 spacers on the part of the lip that goes under the car not sure if i should cut that or not...
Old 09-24-11, 12:13 AM
kowala
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey what's up OP I'm actually in the process of installing the tte rep. lip this weekend as well, when i did the test fit it seemed to fit perfectly fine but as i was about to install it today i noticed the 3 tabs seem to get in the way and make the lip sit lower instead of flush against the bumper so i trimmed a bit off and it still seems like we might be better off just completely removing the bottom tabs. As for using 3M double sided tape or epoxy, i'm definitely gonna recommend using epoxy. i've used 3M double sided tape in the past for a lip kit and noticed it does tend to lose it's hold over time if the fitment isn't perfect and since the tte is really close but not perfect, it's definitely going to need something a bit stronger than 3M tape. The downside to using structural adhesive is that it definitely won't be coming off once it's applied so we're going to have to be realllllyyy careful since fiberglass isn't as forgiving and doesn't take impact and stress nearly as well as polyurethane..
Old 09-24-11, 01:13 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Here's a install thread from member carbongs (Tony) back from 2010... Hope this helps

The same method should apply even with the rep tte lip...

Old 09-24-11, 01:31 AM
Lexustrung
Rookie

Originally Posted by kowala
Hey what's up OP I'm actually in the process of installing the tte rep. lip this weekend as well, when i did the test fit it seemed to fit perfectly fine but as i was about to install it today i noticed the 3 tabs seem to get in the way and make the lip sit lower instead of flush against the bumper so i trimmed a bit off and it still seems like we might be better off just completely removing the bottom tabs. As for using 3M double sided tape or epoxy, i'm definitely gonna recommend using epoxy. i've used 3M double sided tape in the past for a lip kit and noticed it does tend to lose it's hold over time if the fitment isn't perfect and since the tte is really close but not perfect, it's definitely going to need something a bit stronger than 3M tape. The downside to using structural adhesive is that it definitely won't be coming off once it's applied so we're going to have to be realllllyyy careful since fiberglass isn't as forgiving and doesn't take impact and stress nearly as well as polyurethane..
would u reccomend screwing on the lip first or applying the adhesive to the lip and placing it on the bumper first?
Old 09-24-11, 08:44 AM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

the real one doesn't fit the greatest but I've heard this fits pretty damn good.
Old 09-24-11, 08:48 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive had my TTE Lip, JP and roof spoiler on the 3M acrylic double sided tape for close to three years.

ZERO issues and still hold strong like day one. Its been through rain, washes, high wind, cold zero temperatures and so forth.

Quick Reply: tte replica fitment