GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Time / Labor Involved to Replace Control and Caster Arms

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 07:48 PM
evenparr24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time / Labor Involved to Replace Control and Caster Arms

I've read a lot about the control arm and caster arm issues with the GS. I am now needing to change mine however I do not have the equipment or experience to do it myself.

There are a ton of threads about replacing the bushings but I have not found one discussing the cost of direct replacement.

I am wondering how much time and labor is involved in replacing the lower control arms, and the caster arms? I also will be replacing the upper passenger side control arm as well.

Aside from the parts cost, what is a reasonable amount of time or labor cost for this procedure? I am trying of course not to get ripped off.

I appreciate anyone's input.
Old 09-30-11, 12:26 PM
aprince1
Driver

The upper control arms are 2 hours. For the caster arms the book says 5 hours but it definitely doesn't take that long. At $100 an hour it comes out to $700.
You could change the upper control arms yourself. Its not that difficult. Just get a loaner kit from a parts store. The caster arms are a bit more labor intensive.
If you can, take it to a private owned garage so they charge you for only the time they put in.
Old 09-30-11, 01:36 PM
evenparr24
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, that certainly helps. I'll look into doing the upper myself.
Old 09-30-11, 03:57 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

I did my caster arms, lower controls arms, lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends and passenger upper control arm this summer. I actually did it all my self, but I really can't see why it would take five hours to do the caster arms. They were actually the easiest parts to change because there are no special tools involved and noting was seized. The thing that was really hard was the lower control arms. The eccentric boltls were seized to the bushings so it took me almost a week (on and off trying all kinds of different options) to change out the arms. I had to finally cut the bolts but I also had to drop my cross member but that's another story...

Anyway the point of this is that you need to find somebody who really knows what to do if the bolts are seized. I had my alignment done after doing all the front end work and the shop found out that the rear toe adjusting bolts were seized. They charged me 1.5 hrs to remove and replace the seized bolts.

Quite frankly, if you are capable of doing the upper arm your self and nothing is seized, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to do everything yourself. It's just nuts and bolts. Get yourself a long pipe for your ratchet and you should be able to undo the bolts for the caster arms pretty easily. If the lower arm bolts are seized just do everything else and have a mechanic (alignment shop) change out the bolts/arms. No need for a Lexus mechanic for this job.
Old 09-30-11, 05:07 PM
RLGS300
Lead Lap

The upper control arms, really depends, if you have coils u can save a lot of time as I recently changed them, it took me about 30-40 at most to remove and put the new one in, however if you have the oem setup then you will need to take the strut out and that will more than double your time right there. as far as the caster arms it took about 40-60min to remove and put both sides in. At my shop they charge 85per hour so I guess you do the math cant say for sure on the price, cause the I happen to know the owner really well (dad lol). Did the work almost all on my own, having a lift comes in handy if you attempt this on your own without a lift, it will not be comfortable for sure and you can definitely double your time