GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bubble level next to non-HID headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-02, 10:07 PM
his_eminence
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bubble level next to non-HID headlight?

I was looking under my hood the other day (looking for more silly-string some idiot sprayed at my car while I was at a movie) and noticed two bubble-levels to the inside of each headlight. For lack of a better term, there is a "ledge" just on the inside of each headlight where they are situated. I do not have HIDs, so I'm curious as to why there would be a bubble-level seemingly factory mounted on my car. Any idea what these are for?

Also, while looking at the headlight assembly, I noticed on a portion at the rear of each headlight (not sure if it was the bulb plug or not) the name Sylvannia. Is that the manufacturer of the OEM headlamps?

Chris
Old 09-30-02, 11:21 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

I have those bubble levels on my 95 SC too. I have no clue what they're for. They're not plugging into anything and dont seem to have any functionality. I would guess they're to help level the lights when installing them but I dont see why they would need a level for that because I'm guessing the screw holes would already be drilled. To tell you the truth I have NO clue why they have them. I wondered about them ever since I got my car. The SC also has some clear cylnder tube with some white plastic thing on the inside too with a black peice on the outside. I dont know what that does either. Maybe reposting this on the SC forum would get you some answers. When I took my headlights out those levels are just there. You can flood the aread inclosed under the clear plastic with water and the cylnder tube too. If anyone knows post it or PM I REALLY wanna know.

Last edited by jimmit; 09-30-02 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-01-02, 12:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i believe it's for the aim of headlights, which is something everyone can do. read my DIY here

https://www.clublexus.com/Informatio...st/adjust.html
Old 10-01-02, 06:41 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

romini is correct; they are for alignment of the headlights.
Old 10-01-02, 03:27 PM
his_eminence
Rookie

Hmmm...strange that they would take the time and money to mount levels there when I'm sure most Lexus owners would just take it to the dealer to fix the problem. Oh well...thanks for the info anyway.
Old 10-01-02, 04:06 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

true... When I first got the car I always thought it was for towing. Like if the car was getting towed the alarm would probably go off and the levels would not be well level so the car would know its being towed but that makes no sense to put them on the headlights or have 2 of them. It really is weird to have levels just for aiming headlights but if you say so. I think they must serve some other purpose than just aiming.
Old 10-01-02, 04:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well, by doing that lexus can share parts between hid and non-hid
Old 10-01-02, 10:02 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

SCx00's never had HIDs. This is really starting to annoying me because I know there must be a real purpose to those things. Oh well I'm sure someone out there knows all the purposes for them.
Old 10-02-02, 05:37 PM
cgatch
Rookie

My 93 Nissan Altima has this bubbles too. They are for headlight alignments, both horizontal and vertical.
Old 10-02-02, 08:14 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is useful for doing it yourself because mine are slightly off, only noticeable from far away. basically, i'm guessing that distant cars see one really bright light and it'll annoy them. lexus will look up close only and say that its level.

tonight, i'll be making sure both are level from at least three blocks...lexus won't check that for me