GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Just finished my Valve cover Gasket change + Spark gasket. **Tips/Tricks/Advice**

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-11, 08:49 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Just finished my Valve cover Gasket change + Spark gasket. **Tips/Tricks/Advice**

This thread helped me a lot so read here too.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...some-help.html

Ok after 4 or so hours i finally finished. major PITA but its pretty easy if you take your time. Passenger side should be cake and the driver side should take a little longer.

Since i have a supercharger the filter flex pipe got in the way which made it a little difficult for me.. but i kepted at it n took my time.

Pictures of what itll look like.

To remove the passenger side just unbolt the harness, remove packs, unplug any clips that get in your way and what not. Self explanitiory when youre doing it.

Valve cover

Here is the Spark plug gaskets. Notice that its a 2 piece cover. and those round dot things are rivits which hold the thinner piece to the valve cover. Would of been nice if Lexus just used screws but yea.. nope.

Heres how you take off the gaskets

then it should look like the picture above it (2 pics up). then i used a small flat head to remove the inner ring of the gasket. Afterwards somehow hammer/pry the gasket out. its a pain but take your time.

now replace with the new.

To seat the seal, use the old outter ring and rest it evenly on top of the new seal (take note of which face to hammer down) use a rubber mallet and carefully tap it in. It should not take a lot of force.

Last edited by vwynn; 10-02-11 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-02-11, 08:53 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

after youre done it should look like this. Fresh seals. Clean up!

Put new valve cover gasket. Note that you cannot put on the wrong side, its pretty much impossible unless youre... yea.. Note the location of the bump/groove parallel to each other. this wil tell you which

When putting the cover back.. clean up the oil n dirt. Most likely you will have crap fall inside.. which sucks cuz i couldnt do anything about it .. just becareful.. anyways

Put a dab of gasket maker here..

and theres 2 spots near the rear of the engine as well (i didnt do it on the passenger because i forgot ... lets hope it doesnt leak.)

Last edited by vwynn; 10-02-11 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-02-11, 09:03 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Heres the driver side. Just remove everything that gets in your way lol.. Hoses, harness, oil dip stick + tranny, etc etc

Here is the cover off.

Repeat the top regarding the spark seals and gasket maker.

This guy came outta no where n scared me a bit.
now hes somewhere in the garage..

anyways hope that helps people.

Last edited by vwynn; 10-02-11 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-02-11, 10:42 PM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good job and good pics, i just did my replaced the contacts on my starter the other night and i think ill stay out of the engine bay for awhile haha.
Old 10-02-11, 11:12 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts

Great write up. I think I saw your car on Westminster and Newland few days ago.
Old 10-02-11, 11:47 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TxLexus400
good job and good pics, i just did my replaced the contacts on my starter the other night and i think ill stay out of the engine bay for awhile haha.
i have a feeling my starter will be next to die

GS4_Fiend - how'd u know its me? i go to westminster quite often even though i live in the 951. see a lot of nice GS's. makes me jealous
Old 10-03-11, 03:03 AM
durellusmc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate those Prayin Mantis things
Old 10-03-11, 07:56 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

AHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..

passenger side is leaking. i tihnk i pinched the gasket.
Old 10-04-11, 01:38 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
AHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..

passenger side is leaking. i tihnk i pinched the gasket.
i told you when you texted me to put some gasket maker in the valve cover so you cannot possibly pinch it... i did my drivers side, pinched at work one sat and had to wait to get the part from toyota on tues since i didnt order it in time

drivers side is indeed a PITA passenger side isnt to bad thoough. did u use that universal swivel or a 10mm swivel like i told you about?

Old 10-04-11, 08:10 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

i just used basic tools. socket + rachet is all i used. teamed up with small hands.

everything is clean though so i think its gtg. really wished i cleaned the covers prior of install
Old 10-04-11, 08:22 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts

Ohhhh... that swivel is your best friend, my friend. With a long 1/4 extension + 1/4 ratchet
Old 10-04-11, 09:22 PM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

i have a feeling my starter will be next to die

GS4_Fiend - how'd u know its me? i go to westminster quite often even though i live in the 951. see a lot of nice GS's. makes me jealous

well if you end up doing it and need any advice just message me.
Old 10-05-11, 12:28 AM
NIXmx
Driver

I remember the driver's side to be such a pain. The wiring harness got in the way too much. It didn't have enough slack to move it out of the way.
Old 10-05-11, 07:31 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

i just used basic tools. socket + rachet is all i used. teamed up with small hands.

everything is clean though so i think its gtg. really wished i cleaned the covers prior of install
yeah i have big fat american hands... i had to use a swivel to get in on a few of them. i put mine through a rinse-able parts cleaner when i had them off

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Ohhhh... that swivel is your best friend, my friend. With a long 1/4 extension + 1/4 ratchet
yes it was

Originally Posted by NIXmx
I remember the driver's side to be such a pain. The wiring harness got in the way too much. It didn't have enough slack to move it out of the way.
this was the issue i found with the drivers side....even if you undo the injector clips and such, the drivers wiring harness is really in the way
Old 10-05-11, 08:36 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

i didnt think the wiring harness was too bad on the driver. what bugges me most was the engine oil dipstick tube along with the tranny tipstick tube. Those made contact with the valve cover when removing it.

Quick Reply: Just finished my Valve cover Gasket change + Spark gasket. **Tips/Tricks/Advice**