GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My CPO 99 GS300 has been 90% repainted

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-02, 10:28 AM
cxp2001
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My CPO 99 GS300 has been 90% repainted

Group,

I'm very new CL. I just purchased a CPO 99 GS300 with 33,500 miles less than 30 days ago. I made the big mistake of not having the car inspected by an experienced body shop. The car looked great on the inside as well as the exterior. Until I had it inspected and all the flaws came out. All the panel/doors had the proper sticker on them, which I checked before purchasing the car.
I talked to the Service Manager and The Pre-owned Manager and they've had the car for several days. The dealership sent the car back to the body shop that worked on the car to make it right. There is overspray below the doors on both sided and the rear driverside quarter panel wasn't done properly.
I specifically asked the salesman if any paint work was done on the car and he said NO..(not to knowledge). I also noticed the windshild did not look right, it
The Inspector checked the car wasn't hit in the front or the rear. The factory seals were fine. I'm just really pissed because of the resale of the car has been decrease.
WHAT WOULD YOU DO???
Old 10-02-02, 01:13 PM
sphereman
Pole Position

welcome to the forum.

you return the car. your dealer was supposed to disclose those before selling the car to you. just go back to your dealer and confront! they will take it back.
Old 10-02-02, 01:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes, go back and ask them to buy back the car, or you sue them and report to bbb
Old 10-02-02, 02:46 PM
sphereman
Pole Position

if they give you BS, contact the Lexus headquarters. usually they can get things straighten out pretty easily.
Old 10-02-02, 03:27 PM
Murph
Pole Position

Painting is not necessarily equivalent to bad accidents. It could have been keyed or possibly scraped. The way to check for accidents is to bring it to an independent good body shop. Look at the door skins. If they've been replaced then it was accident damage. Most insurance won't pay to replace a dented door, they'll pay to reskin it.

a good body man will be able to tell how much work has been done to your car in about 5 minutes. You can also listen to the sound of the door when it closes. Reworked doors almost never sound the same. After that you can decide whether to keep the car or not.

Good luck....Murph
Old 10-02-02, 05:37 PM
fboukari
Lead Lap

However it turns out I would either return the car or get some of the money back since it’s in a worse condition than the seller told you. If it’s an authorised dealership I’m sure you will not have any problems. Lexus is very anxious to keep their god reputation.

I just read about a guy who had problem with his insurance company after a crash. Lexus helped him out and covered the parts that the insurance didn’t.
/Fredric
Old 10-02-02, 07:41 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Angry From experience

I have my gs at the shop now... I havehad the car for a little over a year and the car has been giving me probelms with creaking in the interior. It also is a CPO, but as most people, did not do a thorough inspection as I I should have. After I had the car a couple of weeks, I found some damage under the car, some repeinting on the bumpers, and the rear area just above the bumper line that had been reworked. A seperate Lexus dealer measured the paint thickness and he determined without a doubt that it had had more than just paint..... or a whole lot of paint in the area. Depending on the angle.... you can clearly see rippling. Anyway, I have been going back and forth with the dealer to the point that I called 25lexus and *****ed about it. I have to say that the guy I was talking to was an idiot.... I could not understand how LEXUS would have a guy like that trying to solve my problem. He was telling me thing like... "sorry if the dealer did not know", and "that is not considered an incoveninece". I swear I almost cussed him out. I said who the hell are you to tell me what is an incovenience and what isn't? I paid to drive a Lexus not a freakin' corolla every two weeks because you guys can't "duplicate the problem". Man I was getting pissed. I eventually had the senior regional or whatever he was contact me and asure me that the dealer would do everything possible even if they had to replace the entire interior to solve the problem. I told them that this is what I am expecting when I get my car back in a couple of weeks. I threatened them with legal action if they refuse to satisfy me by getting rid of this problem. I will not mention the dealer yet...... BUt if they don't fix it, you bet I will and I will post the entire case so everyone can see what horrible service they have been providing me to this point. I shall see in about a week...... Anyway, sorry to ramble on, but I thought some of you might use my imput and experience. I really hope they fix it. I am tired of dealing with this problem. This is why I will never buy an entry year model again.... Yes, even if it is a Lexus.....

Rock
Old 10-02-02, 07:45 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up FTR

I really do love my Lex.... I just want the problem fixed... That's not too much to ask for right???

Rock.
Old 10-03-02, 01:00 PM
NYC Max
Driver

Hey Roc, now I see why you told me to go for 99+, I could tell even in the other post that you were dead serious. So now I will, the only other thing thats a let down is the timing belt.
Old 10-03-02, 01:10 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Default 99+

yeah, I was serious bro.... I took it for granted that this car because it is a Lexus, would be very clean. I do hope they take care of my problem eventhough I am looking to get a new 2000+ gs next year anyway. Granted, I am a former Marine and perfection and attention to detail for us go without saying, but I really think I have a legit beef with my gs. And if they do not satisfy me, I will be seeking legal action to get rid of it and get a newer one. If there are any legal beagles here in the club, I would like to talk to you and get your opinions. I just want to get what I paid for..... Nada mas, nada menos.

Rock
Old 11-26-02, 06:01 PM
cxp2001
Lead Lap

Default My CPO 99 GS300 has been 90% repainted

Group,

I wanted to give everyone a status of my situation. I went back to the dealer and they bought the car back from me. I have purchased another GS300. I purchased a Gold with chrome 16's and it looks great. I've had the new car for approx 30 days now and loving every minute of it. I can say that Lexus will take care of their customers. But you will have to be firm with them and let them know you did just buy any old car, You purchased a LEXUS..
Old 11-27-02, 01:40 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Congradulations

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Happy endings aren't as common as they should be. Cheers.