GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

gs400-Stereo Install...Need help ASAP WTF!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-11, 02:43 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default gs400-Stereo Install...Need help ASAP WTF!?!?!?!

I am in the middle of installing my pioneer dvd2300. Ive installed a good amount of stereo so I have an idea of what to do.

I ordered this wiring harness:

http://www.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-TA02B-.../dp/B00009UHKW

Wired everything up correctly from the H/U to the harness. Plug it in to test and I get nothing. Checked my connections everything was legit. I looked at the plugs from the wiring harness to the OEM ones and I notice a couple of odd things. Many of the wires were not lining up or even being used. For example Yellow from the h/u had nothing hooked up to it from the stock plug (prob why it is not turing on)

1-Did I buy the wrong harness

2- Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the stock plugs-I can always just switch around the plugs and figure it out that way

3-WTF!!!!
Old 10-13-11, 04:44 PM
DownNout
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think they make a wire harness for our cars. I just installed my eclipse head unit and my stereo guy had to hard wire it because we couldn't find a harness.
Old 10-13-11, 04:48 PM
Busha
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NEbiker10
I am in the middle of installing my pioneer dvd2300. Ive installed a good amount of stereo so I have an idea of what to do.

Wired everything up correctly from the H/U to the harness. Plug it in to test and I get nothing. Checked my connections everything was legit. I looked at the plugs from the wiring harness to the OEM ones and I notice a couple of odd things. Many of the wires were not lining up or even being used. For example Yellow from the h/u had nothing hooked up to it from the stock plug (prob why it is not turing on)

2- Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the stock plugs-I can always just switch around the plugs and figure it out that way

3-WTF!!!!
don't stress, I'd you have done it before then slice the wires & do the install that way! You don't need a diagram... Use a volt tester
Old 10-13-11, 04:53 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Busha
don't stress, I'd you have done it before then slice the wires & do the install that way! You don't need a diagram... Use a volt tester

Almost every wire on the back of the pioneer do not match with the ones from the car.

does anyone which wires to wire up to each other?
Old 10-13-11, 04:54 PM
Busha
Pole Position

3-WTF!!!!
Then you take the power wire & illumination wire connect to power wire. Find the ground wire connect it. The. To test the speaker wires, get a double AA BATTERY take a speaker wire of the same color put one end on the + & the other on the -...... Tape it all up and your good..
Old 10-13-11, 05:00 PM
Busha
Pole Position

Then you take the power wire & illumination wire connect to power wire. Find the ground wire connect it. The. To test the speaker wires, get a double AA BATTERY take a speaker wire of the same color put one end on the + & the other on the -...... Tape it all up and your good..

Get a volt tester check for a wire that gets power only when you turn the key to ecc.
Old 10-13-11, 05:11 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Get a volt tester check for a wire that gets power only when you turn the key to ecc.
Ill try it out and see what up! Thanks for the help man.
Old 10-13-11, 05:22 PM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're not doing it the right way. The power and ground needs to be tapped from behind the radio. Here you go:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ration-gs.html
Old 10-13-11, 05:45 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

way i did it was i bought the harness for our car and hooked it up to the amp

its not a direct plug n play.

Last edited by 1sWt2GS; 10-13-11 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-13-11, 06:30 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oslouie
You're not doing it the right way. The power and ground needs to be tapped from behind the radio. Here you go:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ration-gs.html
Word this is what I need.

Thanks for finding this and posting it. Hopefully everything goes smooth tomorrow.

I got something special up my sleeve for the install. Its gonna look almost factory.
Old 10-13-11, 09:56 PM
Zoilus
Driver School Candidate

3-WTF!!!!
Dont know if someone already mentioned this, but on most of those AVH model pioneers, that yellow wire from the head unit that you say is not connected to anything....is the actual power supply wire. Im about to hookup a 3300BT and the diagram in the manual tells you that the yellow is the power. So if yours isn't hooked up to anything....it could be why nothing is happening.

Page 64:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...nual011111.pdf
Old 10-14-11, 06:40 AM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Zoilus
Dont know if someone already mentioned this, but on most of those AVH model pioneers, that yellow wire from the head unit that you say is not connected to anything....is the actual power supply wire. Im about to hookup a 3300BT and the diagram in the manual tells you that the yellow is the power. So if yours isn't hooked up to anything....it could be why nothing is happening.

Page 64:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...nual011111.pdf
ya the problem is nothing on the stock harness in the car matches up with my pioneer. I need to find a better diagram/list of what color wire is what
Old 10-14-11, 04:56 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ya the problem is nothing on the stock harness in the car matches up with my pioneer. I need to find a better diagram/list of what color wire is what
Pm me when you have a chance, I can help you out with the correct way to do it...at work now so can't go into detail.

To do it correctly you either need to bypass the factory amp or integrate the line voltage outputs from the Pioneer along with some other things....
Old 10-14-11, 06:51 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by macd7919
Pm me when you have a chance, I can help you out with the correct way to do it...at work now so can't go into detail.

To do it correctly you either need to bypass the factory amp or integrate the line voltage outputs from the Pioneer along with some other things....
Thanks for the offer man. I finally figured it out. Took about 6hrs for the complete job. I basically got the EWD for the radio and just matched all the leads u.
Old 10-14-11, 06:53 PM
tneig002
Rookie

Here is a really easy way to do the install, in case you haven't done it yet.

Forget the harness at the factory radio. Just ignore it. Remove the glove box (there's a few screws and 10mm bolts holding it in) and look for the factory amp at the right side. There will be two plugs connected to the amp that are the exact same shape as the standard Toyota harness behind the radio. You can pull this harness full of wires all the way to the radio cavity if you pull out some clips and unravel some tape. Once you've got it behind the radio, you can wire up the aftermarket harness since those two plugs are pinned correctly.

Quick Reply: gs400-Stereo Install...Need help ASAP WTF!?!?!?!