GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HID brightness..

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 02:31 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

The bike looks good ^^^^^

Originally Posted by jeepandlex
My early 98 GS"300" did not come equipped with the HID's.....so I installed an aftermarket kit with OEM housings....why .....cause unless I missed sometihng, there isn't a factory headlight harness to plug into.
OEM HID complete housings into a NON-HID GS is not a problem as far as powering the ballasts, it's just the Auto-Leveling feature that won't work, and the HID housing still has manual adjusters to aim them properly, auto-level is not required to install and function..

The other common option is to just install the bare HID reflector bowl into the NON-HID housings, which is an easy swap out. Then just use a D2R bulb and aftermarket ballast. And aftermarket ballast could be used in full OEM HID housings as well if desired.
Old 10-18-11, 04:34 PM
CTGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can the difference between a non HID housing and and HID housing be seen just by looking at them?
Old 10-18-11, 07:21 PM
Kzoosho
Driver

Man o man. So much miss information here. PNP kit in non hid housing = glare. I have been doing custom lighting for over 8 years. The hid counter part is setup completely different. Unless u can limit the light from hitting the bottom of the bowl you are creating glare. Please for the love of god read and make a educated choice from there. A retro would be the best thing to do .
Old 10-18-11, 07:29 PM
GINTER
Rookie

Originally Posted by Protagnist
So, the question is 35w or 55w. Obviously, the 55w will be brighter but some people claim that it has melted their housings. Which one? 35w or 55w? Any problems with the 55w from ddm?
I will purchase a slim 35W digital ballast. It runs much cooler than 55W and doesn't burn out the bulbs (as quickly). I had the first gen Jeep SRT8 and the bulbs went out it pretty quickly. (Boy, was that car fast.)
Old 10-18-11, 07:36 PM
GINTER
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kzoosho
Man o man. So much miss information here. PNP kit in non hid housing = glare. I have been doing custom lighting for over 8 years. The hid counter part is setup completely different. Unless u can limit the light from hitting the bottom of the bowl you are creating glare. Please for the love of god read and make a educated choice from there. A retro would be the best thing to do .
I've been reading quite a bit on the topic. Learned a lot. I'll make a fairly balanced decision on look, glare, color, lumen, and anything that would be considered reasonable.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll make sure to post photos when done.

Best regards.
Old 10-18-11, 07:47 PM
Kzoosho
Driver

Originally Posted by GINTER
I've been reading quite a bit on the topic. Learned a lot. I'll make a fairly balanced decision on look, glare, color, lumen, and anything that would be considered reasonable.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll make sure to post photos when done.

Best regards.
If u are truly going to put the kit in, find a way to block the lower part of bulb. That will kill some glare.
Old 10-18-11, 07:55 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by CTGS
Can the difference between a non HID housing and and HID housing be seen just by looking at them?
Yeah if you look at the back of them it's obvious, the HID housing has the leveler motor sticking off the rear and a cap covering the back of the low beam bulb area, the NON-HID you will just see the 9006 bulb socket twisted into the low beam instead of a cap..
Old 10-18-11, 07:59 PM
GINTER
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kzoosho
If u are truly going to put the kit in, find a way to block the lower part of bulb. That will kill some glare.
I've read that. Will try. The bulbs get hot even with 35W ballasts. Need to find something (paint, tape, whatever) that will not wear out.
Old 10-18-11, 08:05 PM
Kzoosho
Driver

Originally Posted by GINTER
I've read that. Will try. The bulbs get hot even with 35W ballasts. Need to find something (paint, tape, whatever) that will not wear out.
Make a metal shield . Not paint.
Old 10-19-11, 03:39 AM
jeepandlex
Driver

Originally Posted by 99 GS3

OEM HID complete housings into a NON-HID GS is not a problem as far as powering the ballasts, it's just the Auto-Leveling feature that won't work, and the HID housing still has manual adjusters to aim them properly, auto-level is not required to install and function..

The other common option is to just install the bare HID reflector bowl into the NON-HID housings, which is an easy swap out. Then just use a D2R bulb and aftermarket ballast. And aftermarket ballast could be used in full OEM HID housings as well if desired.
I didn't know u could tap right in. Quite useful info...I looked at the braided harness and said I aint messin with that , I'll just use the kit I got in the drawer in lol. Thanks 99
Old 10-19-11, 04:02 AM
jeepandlex
Driver

Originally Posted by Protagnist
So, the question is 35w or 55w. Obviously, the 55w will be brighter but some people claim that it has melted their housings. Which one? 35w or 55w? Any problems with the 55w from ddm?
Now this is only for 5000k, cause I like the blueish/white tint anything Kelvin higher is too much. My taste is a little bland....I don't even like HID's in the fogs. I preferr 4100k halogens. 4300ks HID's will have the most output regardless of Wattage....but I only wanted 5000k. I had the 35W kit with a relay in my 05Jeep. I Liked it but then bought a 50W kit. The 'is" a little more light to the ground. On coming traffic sees about as much as a TSX projector......which are bright, but acceptable. The 50's are in projector lamps and have not melted any plastic in the headlight housing. Maybe small headlight housing trap so much heat they melt. I have also read the 50 watt kits are merely 35W bulbs being "overdriven" by a 50W ballast. I have had the 50W kit with a relay kit in my Jeep for two years and have had no problems, just complements... hope this helps.
Old 10-19-11, 06:33 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 GS3

Never thought of this!! Sounds like I need to do this. Really, how easy is this swap out?? I'm thinking the price I will pay for the bowl, I could probably have a retro done.
Old 10-19-11, 09:34 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Never thought of this!! Sounds like I need to do this. Really, how easy is this swap out?? I'm thinking the price I will pay for the bowl, I could probably have a retro done.

As suspected, labor is what's stopping most people from swapping out the reflector. Unless you want to go through the hassle of baking the headlights and properly sealing them, it's easier to find OEM HID housings and then sell your non-HID. But if you're going to take apart the headlight, you might as well do a projector retrofit.
Old 10-19-11, 10:06 AM
Kzoosho
Driver

Originally Posted by jeepandlex
Now this is only for 5000k, cause I like the blueish/white tint anything Kelvin higher is too much. My taste is a little bland....I don't even like HID's in the fogs. I preferr 4100k halogens. 4300ks HID's will have the most output regardless of Wattage....but I only wanted 5000k. I had the 35W kit with a relay in my 05Jeep. I Liked it but then bought a 50W kit. The 'is" a little more light to the ground. On coming traffic sees about as much as a TSX projector......which are bright, but acceptable. The 50's are in projector lamps and have not melted any plastic in the headlight housing. Maybe small headlight housing trap so much heat they melt. I have also read the 50 watt kits are merely 35W bulbs being "overdriven" by a 50W ballast. I have had the 50W kit with a relay kit in my Jeep for two years and have had no problems, just complements... hope this helps.
Your output was not as controlled as a TSX and u produced more glare to oncoming traffic than a TSX. Anytime u add a kit to a reflector u create glare. There's nothing u can do or say to convince me and others that u didn't. Your halogen reflector was not designed for a xenon light thus not the optics werent designed to harness the light.
Old 10-19-11, 10:17 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Changing focal points without altering the pattern of the light beam.. Ah yes.. plug-n-play kits have defied the laws of optics.

I've noticed that when my friends first got their hands on a set of aftermarket HID kit for their non-HID housings, they thought it was the best thing ever. Of course, they wouldn't admit to the glare issue because the kit was their new toy. To them, it wasn't too bad but of course they were a bit biased. Fast forward a few years, I did a retrofit for them and now they clearly see the light (no pun). It's one of those things where you think back and say "WTF was I thinking!"

Quick Reply: HID brightness..