GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HID brightness..

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-11, 10:36 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Which is why I abandoned my H4 swap on my 94 Fleetwood project. It worked to a point, but I couldn't get the focal point right, I needed to move the bulb in more and I couldn't do it (physical reasons). It helped, overall, but not right.

Originally Posted by GSteg
Changing focal points without altering the pattern of the light beam.. Ah yes.. plug-n-play kits have defied the laws of optics.

I've noticed that when my friends first got their hands on a set of aftermarket HID kit for their non-HID housings, they thought it was the best thing ever. Of course, they wouldn't admit to the glare issue because the kit was their new toy. To them, it wasn't too bad but of course they were a bit biased. Fast forward a few years, I did a retrofit for them and now they clearly see the light (no pun). It's one of those things where you think back and say "WTF was I thinking!"
Old 10-19-11, 11:50 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

As suspected, labor is what's stopping most people from swapping out the reflector. Unless you want to go through the hassle of baking the headlights and properly sealing them, it's easier to find OEM HID housings and then sell your non-HID. But if you're going to take apart the headlight, you might as well do a projector retrofit.
Very true but is the oem hid vs non hid housing switch that easy...as in does the wires plug in directly (plug & play). I know with my old car, extra wiring was required to make it work.
Old 10-19-11, 11:53 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Changing focal points without altering the pattern of the light beam.. Ah yes.. plug-n-play kits have defied the laws of optics.

I've noticed that when my friends first got their hands on a set of aftermarket HID kit for their non-HID housings, they thought it was the best thing ever. Of course, they wouldn't admit to the glare issue because the kit was their new toy. To them, it wasn't too bad but of course they were a bit biased. Fast forward a few years, I did a retrofit for them and now they clearly see the light (no pun). It's one of those things where you think back and say "WTF was I thinking!"
Oh so you do retrofits...gosh why are all of you located in Cali lol!! I want this done badly to my car! I plan on having this car for for at least 250k miles, so having the HID's would be great! I don't know anyone in the Bama, GA region who does retrofits.
Old 10-19-11, 05:57 PM
Kzoosho
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do retro's and know how to ship things lol
Old 10-19-11, 06:48 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Never thought of this!! Sounds like I need to do this. Really, how easy is this swap out?? I'm thinking the price I will pay for the bowl, I could probably have a retro done.
Yeah straight swap once you have the light apart just unscrew the old bowls and the screw the hid ones back in. It takes longer to get the headlights out of the car and preheat the oven than it does to take the lenses apart. More scary than difficult for anyone that has never baked lights before.

Expensive as a retro, not even close. Heck I got some spare HID bowls in a box out in the garage if you have any interest just PM me..
Old 10-20-11, 09:05 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
Yeah straight swap once you have the light apart just unscrew the old bowls and the screw the hid ones back in. It takes longer to get the headlights out of the car and preheat the oven than it does to take the lenses apart. More scary than difficult for anyone that has never baked lights before.

Expensive as a retro, not even close. Heck I got some spare HID bowls in a box out in the garage if you have any interest just PM me..
PM will be sent
Old 10-20-11, 01:03 PM
BAUSauto
Former Sponsor

We do retrofit services!!! and LEDs as well!!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...eadlights.html
Old 10-21-11, 05:00 AM
jeepandlex
Driver

Default that's it!! Im buyin 200W hid and.puttin them in halogen housings

Originally Posted by Kzoosho
Your output was not as controlled as a TSX and u produced more glare to oncoming traffic than a TSX. Anytime u add a kit to a reflector u create glare. There's nothing u can do or say to convince me and others that u didn't. Your halogen reflector was not designed for a xenon light thus not the optics werent designed to harness the light.
I gotta stop comin' back to this inquisition. LOL. Pay attention now..... I bought the HID housings with the green tint....it was in my very first post. I didnt know that I could power up the factory ballasts and bulbs that came with the housings with my old 98GS non- autoleveling feature
( Thanks for the info 99). I left the factory harness disconnected, but used an aftermarket 9006 5000k kit with a relay in the
(all together now) fac -tor - y H....I...D hooo-uusinngg.....

Ginter, I'm sorry but it looks like I've wasted my time and yours...GL
Old 10-21-11, 05:39 AM
Kzoosho
Driver

If u used a 9006 bulb in a factory d2r u still weren't harnessing the light period. Factory hids are meant for a d2r not 9006. So your point is still moot.
Old 10-21-11, 06:14 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by jeepandlex
I gotta stop comin' back to this inquisition. LOL. Pay attention now..... I bought the HID housings with the green tint....it was in my very first post. I didnt know that I could power up the factory ballasts and bulbs that came with the housings with my old 98GS non- autoleveling feature
( Thanks for the info 99). I left the factory harness disconnected, but used an aftermarket 9006 5000k kit with a relay in the
(all together now) fac -tor - y H....I...D hooo-uusinngg.....

Ginter, I'm sorry but it looks like I've wasted my time and yours...GL
The ONLY thing wrong with this is that our HID bowl require D2R bulbs, not the 9006. They sell hid kits with the d2r bulbs. By looking at the bulbs, you can immediately tell the difference. Your situation is what I'm about to deal with my non hid car. Do you still have the factory ballast? I know you said that you are not running power thru them, thus the reason for your hid kit. What exactly is the relay used for with your kit? Also, is your kit causing radio interference? I read about that a lot. IF NOT, PM me...I'm thinking about just switching the bowls out and using a 5k hid kit to make it right.
Old 10-21-11, 11:24 AM
jeepandlex
Driver

Originally Posted by Kzoosho
If u used a 9006 bulb in a factory d2r u still weren't harnessing the light period. Factory hids are meant for a d2r not 9006. So your point is still moot.
<SIGH> ur making two different arguements.... we will just agree to disagree. hey u run HID's in your fogs?