GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Only 1 Month And Somebody Scrapped My Rear Bumper!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-02, 10:30 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Only 1 Month And Somebody Scrapped My Rear Bumper!!!!!!

When I was parked yesterday on Queens Blvd, the guy parked behind me scrapped my rear bumper when he pulled out of the parking spot behind me. Damn, I wish I had seen him. I've only had the car one freakin' month and only 1100 miles and some jerk has to damage it. It doesn't pay to have a nice car in NYC because people have no respect. And of course there is no honesty either; they didn't leave a note saying they'd repair the damages either. Before anybody suggests compound to rub it out, this is a scrape not a surface scratch. All the layers of paint are gone. I wonder how much it's going to cost me to get my rear bumper painted. Remember the thread I started about rear bumper guards, now you know why I asked about them for the GS. If I had one on there, the worst thing that would have happened is that he would have destroyed it.

What's even more amazing is that I had something happen 28 days after I got my 1999 GS. A car service guy in a Lincoln Town Car rear ended me on Woodhaven Blvd and he punctured the rear bumper.

The next time I get a car it's going to sit in my garage for the first month.
Old 10-03-02, 10:52 AM
panther_v
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Only 1 Month And Somebody Scrapped My Rear Bumper!!!!!!

Originally posted by Sam Khoury
When I was parked yesterday on Queens Blvd, the guy parked behind me scrapped my rear bumper when he pulled out of the parking spot behind me. Damn, I wish I had seen him. I've only had the car one freakin' month and only 1100 miles and some jerk has to damage it. It doesn't pay to have a nice car in NYC because people have no respect. And of course there is no honesty either; they didn't leave a note saying they'd repair the damages either. Before anybody suggests compound to rub it out, this is a scrape not a surface scratch. All the layers of paint are gone. I wonder how much it's going to cost me to get my rear bumper painted. Remember the thread I started about rear bumper guards, now you know why I asked about them for the GS. If I had one on there, the worst thing that would have happened is that he would have destroyed it.

What's even more amazing is that I had something happen 28 days after I got my 1999 GS. A car service guy in a Lincoln Town Car rear ended me on Woodhaven Blvd and he punctured the rear bumper.

sorry to hear you sad story; and you are not the only one. my mom took delivery of a new car this past june. someone back into her bumper just days after she bought the car. and when my wife bought her back a few years ago, her bumper was dinged by a family member. the worst thing was that she just drove it back from dealer lot. the scrape still exist this date!

it has been several months now and everyone in the family kinda got used to seeing the scrape. my mom is going to leave it the way it is for now. the 1st ding on a new car is always the worst feeling, but after that, it becomes just another ding!

driving in a metro area is really pain in the rear, that is why i have a beat up car for those places where people don't give a crap about others.

good luck.

Last edited by panther_v; 10-03-02 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-03-02, 11:04 AM
Lvangundy

I can just hear the hard new york accident "they got no respect'" ;-)

SOrry to hear about the bumber, I know less than a year after I got my car (used tho) I scrapped the bumber on some metal stuff and a wall in the underground parking garage at work. It's pretty noticable, and also I dug a big hole in my passenger side mirror when I scrapepd up against a big stucco support beam. OUCH
Old 10-03-02, 02:18 PM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Your experience is still 1000% better than having your new car totaled by the dealer. With only about 3000 miles on my GS4, the dealer picked up the car for regular servicing and I never saw the car again! Fortunately our dealer was nice enough to give me a new replacement.
Old 10-03-02, 02:47 PM
lexus4ever
Rookie

The same thing happened to me after about one month of ownership. I even parked it in an out of the way space and someone still managed to backed into it.
Old 10-03-02, 03:25 PM
altaf
Pole Position

Originally posted by LexusPia
Your experience is still 1000% better than having your new car totaled by the dealer. With only about 3000 miles on my GS4, the dealer picked up the car for regular servicing and I never saw the car again! Fortunately our dealer was nice enough to give me a new replacement.
I think the best thing that could happen is the car got totaled... you don't have to worry about problems down the road in case it wasn't repaired properly.

BTW, what's up with getting repairs done through insurance. I hear that insurance companies don't pay the body shops to use OEM (aka Lexus brand) body parts, instead they only pay for generic "Walmart" brands???

-Altaf
Old 10-03-02, 03:52 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Thanks for the sympathy guys. I'm definitely looking into bumper guards. I'm going to try to find ones that are not too ugly. I saw a GS on the road the other day with ones that didn't look too bad.

Lexus of Manhattan wants $600 for clear 3M strips and $1200 for 3M on the whole bumper. I think that's without the 15% CL discount. I may consider it but I have to look into aftermarket places.

Is the 3M stuff the same as X-pel or different?
Old 10-03-02, 05:12 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Xpel has a headlight/fog light film that they market. For the paint protection, they use 3M products. At least that's what it seems like on their website. I am looking into this as well.
Old 10-03-02, 06:45 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

My car was originally a fleet car in New York, hence all my f-ed up rims. Oh, and my little nick on my back bumper -- but it's all good

Hope everything works out bro. I would have ran the guy over if I'd seen him. Best of luck in getting it fixed bro.
Old 10-03-02, 06:49 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Default That's nothing...

Forget it man,

you don't know how well off you are. You've got a new car and you've got insurance. They will take care of it.

Folks in other countries (like Russia, for example) don't have any auto insurance. Imagine rear-ending 600 Merc (full of mafia guys) with a Russian domestic... Your situation is not as bad as you think.

Of course, you could be better too (if no-one hit your car), but you can always be worse off (and much more this way too) than you think.

To the pessimist the glass is half-empty, to the optimist the glass is half-full. To the engineer, the glass is twice as large as it needs to be.
Old 10-03-02, 07:22 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Vlad, I appreciate your point. But when you've been living in NY your whole life and seen preventable inconsiderate things done to other people's property over and over again, you get frustrated by it. I obsolutely hate people that don't respect other people's property.

Some accidents are not preventable, that's why they are accidents. When I was rear ended in 1999 I wasn't as mad as I am now because at least his insurance paid for the damage. This was done by somebody pulling out of a parking spot. All he had to do was go back and forth a few more times instead of just going out. Because he didn't do that I have to spend a few hundred dollars of money that I work really hard for to repair my car which is only one month old. Try to imagine what happened when the guy was leaving his spot. Either he tried to pull out of the spot too fast and he completely scrapped me with no chance of stopping in time or he touched my bumper and said screw it and just pushed his way out. Either way it was inconsiderate and preventable. What makes it even worse is that the guy didn't even leave his information to pay for the damage so I have to pay. That's called honesty which many people don't have nowadays.
Old 10-03-02, 09:43 PM
Cosm
Pole Position

Angry First month ?? HOW ABOUT 1ST DAY !!!

I had bought a gs4 off ebay and flew to ny to get it and the next day (not even 24 hours) somebody backed into me. Thank god I saw the person and got the police involved (even though it took 2 1/2 hours for them to get there ) but now I have to deal with insurance fixing my fiberglass kit instead of replacing it even though I think it should be replaced as it was never broke to begin with.
Old 10-03-02, 10:19 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Vlad, I appreciate your point. But when you've been living in NY your whole life and seen preventable inconsiderate things done to other people's property over and over again, you get frustrated by it. I obsolutely hate people that don't respect other people's property.

Some accidents are not preventable, that's why they are accidents. When I was rear ended in 1999 I wasn't as mad as I am now because at least his insurance paid for the damage. This was done by somebody pulling out of a parking spot. All he had to do was go back and forth a few more times instead of just going out. Because he didn't do that I have to spend a few hundred dollars of money that I work really hard for to repair my car which is only one month old. Try to imagine what happened when the guy was leaving his spot. Either he tried to pull out of the spot too fast and he completely scrapped me with no chance of stopping in time or he touched my bumper and said screw it and just pushed his way out. Either way it was inconsiderate and preventable. What makes it even worse is that the guy didn't even leave his information to pay for the damage so I have to pay. That's called honesty which many people don't have nowadays.
I hear ya' man!

As wise guys say: "What do ya' gonna do!"
Can't live with them, can't kill them.

Don't spend too much time thinking that ***hole that hit your car, though... move on. You are better than he/she is because you're honest and have a different mentality than the person that hit you. Thinking about it too much won't do you any good (other than build up bile)
Old 10-03-02, 11:30 PM
panther_v
Rookie

Angry talking about bad luck....

guess what ?

i just got a call from my mom. someone bumped into her again this afternoon!!!

they were in an intersection, waiting for green light when the truck in front of her started to roll backward. the truck ended up dinging her front bumper and grill.

car is about 4 months old with about 5k miles. this is the 2nd incident on this car. talking about bad luck.....

so once again, you are not alone.... accident happens every single day!!!
Old 10-03-02, 11:35 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had the rear of my car rammed in by an EXCURSION......very ****E# up.....about 3 - 4 grand of damage I'm estimating...