GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

22 inch Staggred on GS 2nd Generation

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-11, 03:51 PM
joclaroc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 22 inch Staggred on GS 2nd Generation

I was wondering if you can put 22x10 on the rear of a 2nd Generation GS 300/400 IF Anyone has pic post them please and what size tires to use if you can do it and what type mod you have to do . I want them but I dont what to lift car to make it look crazy . Some rims shops said they can some said they cant . Thanks for help in advance
Old 10-19-11, 07:19 PM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, most of these VIP wannabes will flame you for even mentioning 22's on a GS but when they do, don't pay any attention to them. I don't think 22x10 will fit without trimming/rolling the fender. I have 22x8's and they are tucked with my system in the rear so I'm almost positive that you'll need to do some kind of fender modding since bringing it up to 10 inches wide, I'm sure you will be riding on the fender when going on bumps and for sure you won't be able to drop it unless it's bagged.
Old 10-19-11, 07:29 PM
4uhaterz
Rookie

22s are too much. 21s at the max!
Old 10-19-11, 07:50 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You gotta look at it from the side of the car. If the rim is similar or bigger than the diameter of your fender, then it clearly isn't for your car. And I've seen alot of GS's here in SD that has 22" but not lowered and with all honesty and no bias, it looks like a donker (if you're in to it, then yeah it's for you). It really depends on the set up that you want, if you're into donkers/high riders, dubs or VIP; it's really up to you. But from a VIPers point of view it isn't VIP. I used to be into donkers in my "past" life, but fell in love with VIP set ups mainly because it's designs are very detailed up to the smallest parts of the car, which really fits my personality because I'm OC and very meticulous to detail. So again choose which set up you want, and do it right the first time. But if you're aiming for that classic VIP clean stylish luxury look, you can't pull this off without major body modification, I mean a body kit and all that good stuff..
Old 10-19-11, 08:00 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Call me a hater if you like but 22's will look disgusting on a GS. Of course that's my opinion but I'm just saying what's best for the car.
Old 10-19-11, 11:57 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All - Please stay on-topic to the OP's questions. If you cannot add value, please refrain from commenting.
Old 10-20-11, 12:02 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Hey guys, no need for name calling. But really what is it with exaggeratedly big *** rims? Like I said I'm not hating because I used to be into donkers, dubs and lowriders. But you always gotta do it the right way. I looked up oslouie's GS, it looks really nice but it is screaming for a major drop and a body kit.
Old 10-20-11, 06:12 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by kingphilip
Hey guys, no need for name calling. But really what is it with exaggeratedly big *** rims? Like I said I'm not hating because I used to be into donkers, dubs and lowriders. But you always gotta do it the right way. I looked up oslouie's GS, it looks really nice but it is screaming for a major drop and a body kit.
The same way people like the ugly "slammed" look with the negative camber rims. What makes his way wrong and yours right?? This is his car so he can do what he likes. I personally would'nt put 22's (because of the ball joint issue); I would just stick to a staggered 20" look with the car a tab bit lowered to kill some of the fender space IF I were to mod it. Currently it's still stock and I don't really have any plans to mod it. I might buy the factory chrome 17" wheels, but that is about it for right now.
Old 10-20-11, 06:21 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd go with 20's at the most tbh. When I bought my car it had 22's on it and a lift kit to get them to fit, believe me it's not the best route to go with the ball joint failure we have. 20's at the max.
Old 10-20-11, 09:26 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
The same way people like the ugly "slammed" look with the negative camber rims. What makes his way wrong and yours right?? This is his car so he can do what he likes. I personally would'nt put 22's (because of the ball joint issue); I would just stick to a staggered 20" look with the car a tab bit lowered to kill some of the fender space IF I were to mod it. Currently it's still stock and I don't really have any plans to mod it. I might buy the factory chrome 17" wheels, but that is about it for right now.
You're totally missing the point, I just said I used to be in this stuff so I'm not being judgmental about it, but remember you always gotta do it right. If it's 22's, looking at what oslouie did to his, it looks rightfully done, but any size bigger than that would look like a monster truck and no longer donkers. I myself don't do the exaggeratedly negative camber that you're talking about, but my set up is VIP. Like I said if you're gonna do something do it tastefully and do it the right way(which means you are not sacrificing the more obvious important stuff) rather than looks. And you GokuSSJ3, if you still can't understand what I'm saying then there's no sense talking to you.
Old 10-20-11, 10:59 AM
AristoKing
Instructor

3 simple words " Don't Do It" you wont like the outcome of how the car will look.
Old 10-20-11, 11:16 AM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Now being the OP has been a member here since '05 with 5 posts clearly thats not long enough to find the answer that has been asked many times so its up to members to spoon feed him factual answers.

What makes his way wrong and yours right??
Whats wrong is that the GS was never designed to fit 22" rims without messing things up. Fender wells on a vehicle can only take so much without modifications. Not to mention no one makes a 22" tire designed to fit GS specs.

OEM 16" tire size is 215/60R16 = 26.2" overall diameter
OEM 17" tire size is 235/45R17 = 25.3" overall diameter

Rule of thumb is that you are not supposed to go outside 3% of the OEM specs other wise it messes with your speedo, gearing and ABS. The shortest 22" tire is 27.6" OD (235/30R22 and 285/25R22) which is over 5% so with that being said its a nono.

Now lets stay on topic this is not a debate on whats cooler vip vs. dub/donk.

To OP. If you are willing to put in the money, time and effort into this project then yes it can be done. You will most likely need to remove the fender liner front the front fenders to avoid rubbing. You will also most likely need to roll and pull front fenders to make them fit to avoid rubbing if you plan to lower the vehicle to allow you to turn without rubbing. In order to fit the 22x10 in the rear you would need a really high offset like +40-45 to clear the nut that hold the rear bumper to the quarter panel. Being that the 22" tires will raise your overall diameter this will make your car taller and higher off the ground than stock ride height, meaning you will need coilovers to make this look half decent. In my opinion 22's are too big for the GS but can be done and can look good as long as you've got the cash and willing to put in the work.

Now this thread would have got a lot more love if it were posted in the DUB section
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/dub-style-190/

But notice even on the first page there are threads that have last posts going back as far as '08. hmmm I wonder why that is.....

Last edited by Sonic_RC; 10-20-11 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-20-11, 03:43 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
But notice even on the first page there are threads that have last posts going back as far as '08. hmmm I wonder why that is.....

That's why I said, if you're gonna do something, do it right. If you put big *** rims on there you gotta modify whatever it is you need to modify so you don't sacrifice safety over vanity.

I'm pretty sure the VIP guys spend 10's of thousands if not thousands of moolah's to get their set up right! (If you have anything against VIPers, since somebody called them wannabes)
Old 10-20-11, 04:20 PM
oslouie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4uhaterz
22s are too much. 21s at the max!
Not true.
Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Call me a hater if you like but 22's will look disgusting on a GS. Of course that's my opinion but I'm just saying what's best for the car.
Again, not true and yes, that's your opinion.
It looks like that because of the hundreds of pounds of stereo equipment in my trunk. I could drop the front and still be fine.
True
Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
I'd go with 20's at the most tbh. When I bought my car it had 22's on it and a lift kit to get them to fit, believe me it's not the best route to go with the ball joint failure we have. 20's at the max.
Actually, no lift kit is required, You just need the right offset, rim width, and tire size.
Originally Posted by AristoKing
3 simple words " Don't Do It" you wont like the outcome of how the car will look.
Again, that's your opinion. How do you know the OP won't like the outcome?

That's why I said, if you're gonna do something, do it right. If you put big *** rims on there you gotta modify whatever it is you need to modify so you don't sacrifice safety over vanity.

I'm pretty sure the VIP guys spend 10's of thousands if not thousands of moolah's to get their set up right! (If you have anything against VIPers, since somebody called them wannabes)
That would be me because it seems everyone who can't even afford to VIP their car up has something to say when a subject like this comes up. Yeah, some guys are clowning on others yet, their car sits on stock which would make them a wannabe. I just find it funny that people who are rolling on stock wheels raise up and talk so much crap. Stop dreaming and start living. Be a leader, not a follower and if that means being different then oh well.

Last edited by oslouie; 10-20-11 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-20-11, 04:36 PM
oslouie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
Now being the OP has been a member here since '05 with 5 posts clearly thats not long enough to find the answer that has been asked many times so its up to members to spoon feed him factual answers.

Whats wrong is that the GS was never designed to fit 22" rims without f***ing s*** up. Fender wells on a vehicle can only take so much without modifications. Not to mention no one makes a 22" tire designed to fit GS specs.

OEM 16" tire size is 215/60R16 = 26.2" overall diameter
OEM 17" tire size is 235/45R17 = 25.3" overall diameter

Rule of thumb is that you are not supposed to go outside 3% of the OEM specs other wise it messes with your speedo, gearing and ABS. The shortest 22" tire is 27.6" OD (235/30R22 and 285/25R22) which is over 5% so with that being said its a nono.

Now lets stay on topic this is not a debate on whats cooler vip vs. dub/donk.

To OP. If you are willing to put in the money, time and effort into this project then yes it can be done. You will most likely need to remove the fender liner front the front fenders to avoid rubbing. You will also most likely need to roll and pull front fenders to make them fit to avoid rubbing if you plan to lower the vehicle to allow you to turn without rubbing. In order to fit the 22x10 in the rear you would need a really high offset like +40-45 to clear the nut that hold the rear bumper to the quarter panel. Being that the 22" tires will raise your overall diameter this will make your car taller and higher off the ground than stock ride height, meaning you will need coilovers to make this look half decent. In my opinion 22's are too big for the GS but can be done and can look good as long as you've got the cash and willing to put in the work.

Now this thread would have got a lot more love if it were posted in the DUB section
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/dub-style-190/

22's will fit with less modification than going the VIP'd look. It's a ll a matter of finding the right combination and there is a 22" tire that will clear everything down there...235/30/22.

Quick Reply: 22 inch Staggred on GS 2nd Generation