GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Infamous Limp Mode = here we go

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-11, 09:30 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Infamous Limp Mode = here we go (FIXED)

I've searched prior to this post... instead of buying parts and replacing i'm going to start with running a scan for the codes. Apparently the TPS, Throttle Control Motor, and Lever Assy which has the acceleration pedal sensor could possibly be the issue. Another member mentioned it was their alternator going out.

Was driving home going up an on ramp to the freeway... got to about 60mph and all the lights lit up starting with the check engine light first. No acceleration but it didn't rev high as i kept trying to give it gas so i know its not the transmission. Pulled over and just about every light came on. Turned it off... called AAA... fired it back up and it first revved high jerked a lil and i lost power to no idle and it turned off on its own.

??? am i headed in the right direction with the first section of this post... towing to a shop at some point tomorrow -Thanks

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 10-28-11 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-27-11, 11:34 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

What was the code?

This could be your problem

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...eleration.html
Old 10-28-11, 08:11 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While AAA had the jumpers on, were you able to rev it fine (no load) at idle?
Old 10-28-11, 09:15 AM
mexikan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

what year is it ? I can see what are the posibilities, if you give me more info. codes, I could help you out
Old 10-28-11, 09:18 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

thanks fellas... i found that first link and read through it... so i'm thinking based off my symptoms that it very well could be the same fix... although OP in that thread said the accelerator position sensor wasn't his problem. I think thats mine as this happend when I was accelarating up the on ramp. No code yet I'm runnin to autozone to get a scanner

Twong they actually didn't jump me at all just towed home. The car has power ... but the high rev when I start it is diff an issue. Is there something about ur question that is leading towards the battery or correct voltage being provided?

I'll be checkin back through out the day - thanks CL
Old 10-28-11, 10:26 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have intake. And check your MAF.
Old 10-28-11, 08:12 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Sooo I fixed it myself shortly after responding this morning. Somehow a piece of plastic from the K&N filter on the stock intake got sucked into the throttle body keeping it wedged open. I took the whole intake out and there it was like a piece of beef jerky hangin out my mouth. I took a closer look at the filter and the outter case was cracked all over the place. I guess the last owner dropped it or smashed it somehow. I've only had it a few months but sadly I didnt notice this when I originally looked at it. Just picked up a whole new filter starting fresh. I didn't buy the scanner since i fixed the issue and took it in for a quick oil change and let the dealer reset everything.

I gotta say it felt good fixing this myself in less than 20 min... good stuff. Thanks for checking in on this thread for those that tried to help me. much appreciated
Old 10-29-11, 01:40 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by blackgloss
Sooo I fixed it myself shortly after responding this morning. Somehow a piece of plastic from the K&N filter on the stock intake got sucked into the throttle body keeping it wedged open. I took the whole intake out and there it was like a piece of beef jerky hangin out my mouth. I took a closer look at the filter and the outter case was cracked all over the place. I guess the last owner dropped it or smashed it somehow. I've only had it a few months but sadly I didnt notice this when I originally looked at it. Just picked up a whole new filter starting fresh. I didn't buy the scanner since i fixed the issue and took it in for a quick oil change and let the dealer reset everything.

I gotta say it felt good fixing this myself in less than 20 min... good stuff. Thanks for checking in on this thread for those that tried to help me. much appreciated
We always forget or over look the simple things. Keeping it simple is a good start.
Old 10-29-11, 08:02 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
We always forget or over look the simple things. Keeping it simple is a good start.
yup... quickly over looked the simple stuff just assuming it was something that was going to cost me
Old 10-29-11, 09:17 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is probably a good time for you to replace that, and the maf as well. I guarantee it is no longer in spec. They are very sensitive.
Old 10-29-11, 10:57 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by slickgt1
This is probably a good time for you to replace that, and the maf as well. I guarantee it is no longer in spec. They are very sensitive.
Sounds good to me will do