GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ughh, Toyota dealership destroyed my engine after timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-11, 01:18 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

do not get used **** that's been sitting in a yard, rotting all its electronics and wires. Don't miss this opportunity to get a brand new engine.
Old 10-28-11, 01:24 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by BiGRiGNiG
From the discussion I had with the sales manager and his director, the chance of their insurance company coughing up for a brand new engine sounded pretty slim due to the mileage mine had (126k), but they said they'd try. I don't feel very confident though. If they give me a used engine, I'm going to request a 1 year warranty, minimum.
SMH. You have read multiple post with people stating they would get a new engine, you even read first hand knowledge from me about receiving new parts (BTW, the computer they destroyed on my car had 205k miles on it) and someone else who WORKS for Toyota stating they gave a customer a NEW engine after bad work, and you are going to accept that corny line from the Sales Manager??? Used, junkyard engine with no history. Not me, but to each it's own...

1yr warranty minimum on used engine with no history vs. a solid new engine or even your old engine that you services for MULTIPLE years with no engine problems....You are going to be in a bad situation.

As stated before, hopes it work out for you. Maybe I'm just a mean, straight-laced person who doesn' accept BS crap.
Old 10-28-11, 01:26 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Where you at let's make a clublexus trip to toyota and get this **** rolling lol....but yea demand it...they'll do it to save a lawsuit..
Old 10-28-11, 01:36 PM
BiGRiGNiG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys - starting to lay it on harder...we'll see where this goes. Still haven't heard the result of their insurance company visit - probably hasn't happened yet.
Old 10-28-11, 01:42 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by TheRyanGS
Where you at let's make a clublexus trip to toyota and get this **** rolling lol....but yea demand it...they'll do it to save a lawsuit..
Yeah, but this is his downfall. He didn't demand a new replacement but requested a new engine. Requesting a new engine gives Toyota the option of giving him the more costly item (new engine) vs. the low cost engine (junkyard crap engine). OP, which option do you think Toyota will go with? The SM gave you the BS salesman answer and you fell for it. Now he can come back and say, "Hey I told you that they wouldn't go with the requested new engine...they found you a junkyard engine at LKQ". Demanding a new engine, there are NO OPTIONS.

I can almost GUARANTEE that you will get NO WARRANTY on a used engine they have no service history of. Toyota will not make itself liable of something crazy were to happen to that engine after they give it to you. Now that I think of it, OEM new parts doesn't even carry a warranty! You have a uphill battle ahead buddy.
Old 10-28-11, 01:42 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't lay anything demand.

Start calling Toyota and Lexus corporate, and start complaining. Mention the broken pully and how they tried to stiff you for their mistake as well. Let corporate put heat on this stupid dealer.

Does anyone have the corporate phone number or email. Help this dude out.
Old 10-28-11, 01:49 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Thanks guys - starting to lay it on harder...we'll see where this goes. Still haven't heard the result of their insurance company visit - probably hasn't happened yet.
No problem! We just don't want you to get screwed over in the process. Sadly, I see it coming though. I still remember when the idiot Manager at Best Buy told me that I had to pay for the diagnostic to be ran on my car AFTER they screwed it up. I looked at him with a "Come on Man" look on my face...I started to turn green and he quickly recanted his statement after I told him "I wasn't paying for ******"! I used to play linebacker in college so I was turning into half Hulk lol.
I couldn't believe they were trying to screw me over with my ONLY vehicle that I used to commute for work!!
Old 10-28-11, 01:53 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

TOYOTA CORP CUSTOMER SERVICE: Phone: 800-331-4331

Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
19001 South Western Ave.
Dept. WC11
Torrance, CA 90501

TOYOTA/LEXUS USE THE SAME BUILDING I BELIEVE
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

Yesterday I brought my 2001 GS430 to a Toyota dealership near my office to have them replace the timing belt (126k miles, procrastinated on that for a while), replace the rear diff fluid, and check out a clunk in the front end.

A few hours later they call me to say that the tech broke a power steering pulley while trying to remove it and that they had to order one, but that it wouldn't arrive until today. Also, the part was $200. They gave me a loaner car for the night and I was ok with it, but did request that they at least give me the part for cost since they broke it. (Later I looked at the belt replacement tutorials on this site and never saw any mention of a need to remove a power steering pulley, so who knows - any comments on this??)

I then got another call late last night but missed them, so I called them back this morning to get the latest. They got the timing belt replacement completed last night, minus the pulley. They went to fire it up and it wouldn't turn over... Turns out they screwed up the timing belt replacement somehow and bent some valves, plus who knows what else. WTF!!!!! (I assume this probably was as bad as having the belt break?)

They had to file a claim with their insurance and aren't sure if they'll have to rebuild the entire engine or replace it with a new one. Guess I'll be driving this boring Camry loaner for a while longer...ugh....

Anybody have any advice for someone in a situation like this? Obviously I'm going to do my best to pay as little as possible, but I'm not sure how that'll work out. What a mess - glad it was a Toyota dealership and not a private shop!

Sorry for the rant, just frustrated and not sure what to do...

Being in the automotive industry myself, toyota should definatly go ahead and not make you pay for the powersteering pully IF they broke it . If it was already on its way going out I totally understand. On a brighter note - regardless if they put in a used or new engine they will re-build it when going it...

-David
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by slickgt1
Don't lay anything demand.

Start calling Toyota and Lexus corporate, and start complaining. Mention the broken pully and how they tried to stiff you for their mistake as well. Let corporate put heat on this stupid dealer.

Does anyone have the corporate phone number or email. Help this dude out.
If he really wanted it, I'm sure he could Google it. We gave him a lot of valuable advice, even some with members being involved with the same situation...we can only let him do what he thinks is best for his own situation.
Old 10-28-11, 01:54 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by TheRyanGS
TOYOTA CORP CUSTOMER SERVICE: Phone: 800-331-4331

Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
19001 South Western Ave.
Dept. WC11
Torrance, CA 90501

TOYOTA/LEXUS USE THE SAME BUILDING I BELIEVE
good find.
Old 10-28-11, 01:56 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
OP, how much were they charging you for the TB service? I have a independent guy here that specialize in Toyota and Lexus and he quoted me $956 for new TB, Service Belt, Radiator/engine coolant flush/change, and WP. I don't know if that's a good price though.
Thats a good price Lexus by my house charges that much.. It's $1,000. For timing belt, water pump (with coolant flush) and thermostat.
Old 10-28-11, 01:58 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Side topic - if the engine swap is really $12k in costs to somebody, I wonder if the insurance company will decide to total the car? More drama could be on the horizon...
Originally Posted by 5t341th
My company had to replace a toyota camry engine due to oil out. cost of a new engine replacement was ~7000 bucks

Sort block from lexus is 9800 for part only - for a 1UZ-FE
Old 10-28-11, 02:20 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheehan1p
i would legit be sooo pissed if they did that to my car... good luck bud
not me...i would be happy as i would have a new 0 mile engine

Originally Posted by vwynn
hmm i want a new engine... hmm.....
me 2

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
If he really wanted it, I'm sure he could Google it. We gave him a lot of valuable advice, even some with members being involved with the same situation...we can only let him do what he thinks is best for his own situation.
reminds me of this old saying

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink"
Old 10-28-11, 03:49 PM
4eign
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go back n tell em to give u lexus loaner!

Quick Reply: Ughh, Toyota dealership destroyed my engine after timing belt replacement