GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ughh, Toyota dealership destroyed my engine after timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-11, 08:22 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Sorry for the problems that you had. I wouldn't pay anything due to the destroying your engine. Thats why they have insurance so they can easily fork out the money to replace the engine.
^^^^^ That sums up everything - and it should be a new engine imo why not?
Old 10-28-11, 10:56 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ask them to cut the cost, and just order a 2jz-gte. hahaha
Old 10-29-11, 06:04 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Ay-nako
Thats a good price Lexus by my house charges that much.. It's $1,000. For timing belt, water pump (with coolant flush) and thermostat.
ok thanks. Will go by my local Lexus dealer to get a price. If its the same price, I will go with Lexus instead of the independent shop...especially after reading this thread.
Old 10-29-11, 06:39 AM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to play devils advocate for a second...

It is the insurance company's responsibility to return the car to its pre-incident state as efficiently as possible. They will likely push for a used engine of comparable mileage to accomplish this. As much as you want a new engine, you are in no way entitled to one.

That being said, go raise hell and get a new engine
Old 10-29-11, 08:08 AM
Gunnut
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mid 80's I worked at a dealership (Olds and Honda). Lady brought in her Honda for some routine service. One of the porters hit her car when it was parked on the lot. She got a loaner of her choice while the body-shop repaired her car free of charge. A few months later she brought her car in again for an oil change. Once again a porter hit her car causing body damage. When she came it to pick up her car (nobody called her to let her know what happened) she was met by the owner of the dealership who told her of the incident, took her to the showroom and told her to pick out anything she liked. She left with a brand new Accord, no charge.

As far as mileage, 126k is not even half life for one of these engines.
Old 10-29-11, 08:14 AM
Gunnut
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would ask them about compensating you for the diminished value of your car with a replaced motor. Any car with a replacement motor, even if it replaced with a new crate motor is harder to sell. It gives the impression the car is a lemon.
Old 10-29-11, 08:25 AM
Vegas
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BiGRiGNiG

A few hours later they call me to say that the tech broke a power steering pulley

They went to fire it up and it wouldn't turn over... Turns out they screwed up the timing belt replacement somehow and bent some valves,
YOU ARE *****TING ME!!! That is ridiculous!
Old 10-29-11, 08:29 AM
Vegas
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kamlung

personally i would have been leaning more towards saying something like "i understand that accidents happen, however, the car was flawless when i brought it in and now because of your tech and his inability to properly perform the service, i have a blown engine... if this happened from what should be a common timing belt service, i don't have confidence in his ability to rebuild or replace my engine. i want it done by Lexus since they seem to be more familir with my car...
Exactly!
Old 10-31-11, 10:33 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
ok thanks. Will go by my local Lexus dealer to get a price. If its the same price, I will go with Lexus instead of the independent shop...especially after reading this thread.
Just called the Lexus dealer here and they told me $2k for the 90k service. They must be out of their freaking mind! I will go with the independent shop.
Old 10-31-11, 10:42 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

2k, GTFO. I had mine done at Lexus for about $600 plus parts. About another $500. I don't remember exactly though.
Old 10-31-11, 10:54 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

2 stacks.....they are on crack....call them back and say u spoke to someone who tried to rip you offand asked for them to get fired...bec that is robbery lol
Old 10-31-11, 11:44 AM
cschroder
Driver

1. Talk to the dealership general manger, cut the service manager out of the loop, he does not have the authority to approve anything.

2. Their level of insurance coverage has absolutely nothing to do with you, your car, your engine, or your underwear. It is not your problem that their tech screwed up.

3. Negotiate

Start with i want a new long block. then pay the extra and get new accessories put on it. ps pump, alternator, starter, waterpump, pulleys..ect...

Absolute lowest position.......a "used" motor with documented leakdown tests and a warranty. a no questions asked 60,000 mile warranty on anything they replace, you would also like your parts back, the core charge is not your problem. You would also like all the "factory recommended" service done to the motor relative to its mileage, as if no service had ever been done. 15k, 30k, 60k, 90k ect... . If you have documented oil changes on your motor, demand the same on the replacement, under the statement that they will return you car to its original pre screw up condition. Good luck to them, but if they find a motor out of a lexus that has 120,000 with full lexus service records via a vin search, I would be satisfied with that, on the condition that i could inspect the vin tag on the motor its self. It is the same as the vin on the car, also request a car fax on the car the motor came out of to insure that the motor has not been sitting on in a salvage yard for 5 years. Do not accept anything that is more than a year out of the car. The car fax will have a date the car was "totaled".

After making all these demands, then reiterate that you would gladly accept a new longblock with a 12,000 standard warranty.

If they are still giving you trouble, then get a business card out of your pocket with a lawyers name on it, flip it over and read off "I need the address to send official correspondence to, not only here at the dealership but at the corporate office" (they are probably owned by a company like sonic, that is a conglomerate of dealerships)

good luck, also get the attorney general involved, as dealerships have to have a license.

Somewhat of a last resort, go to the television station and get the consumer watch bulldogs on their a**. Especially if they say they have a motor for you and you have a copy of the vin and carfax that proves the motor has a crap load of miles on it.

If you are persistent, forceful, but polite and professional, you will get what you want. \\\

FINALLY....GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING AND READ EVERYTHING TWICE.......BEFORE YOU LET THEM PUT ANYTHING IN YOUR CAR VERIFY THE VIN NUMBER PERSONALLY AND TAKE A PICTURE OF IT. CHECK THE CARFAX MAKE SURE IT MATCHES, THEN GO TO THE LEXUS DEALERSHIP AND GET A PRINTOUT OF THE SERVICE RECORDS. IF THE DEALERSHIP SAYS SOMETHING, AND DO NOT HAVE TO WRITTEN PROOF, MAKE THEM WRITE IT DOWN IN THE FINAL SETTLEMENT. THERE WILL BE A FINAL SETTLEMENT RELEASING THEM OF ANY FURTHER LIABILITY (THE INSURANCE COMPANY WILL DEMAND IT) IF IT DOES NOT MATCH YOUR OWN RESEARCH, SUE THE HELL OUT OF THEM.
Old 10-31-11, 12:15 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cschroder
1. Talk to the dealership general manger, cut the service manager out of the loop, he does not have the authority to approve anything.

2. Their level of insurance coverage has absolutely nothing to do with you, your car, your engine, or your underwear. It is not your problem that their tech screwed up.

3. Negotiate

Start with i want a new long block. then pay the extra and get new accessories put on it. ps pump, alternator, starter, waterpump, pulleys..ect...

Absolute lowest position.......a "used" motor with documented leakdown tests and a warranty. a no questions asked 60,000 mile warranty on anything they replace, you would also like your parts back, the core charge is not your problem. You would also like all the "factory recommended" service done to the motor relative to its mileage, as if no service had ever been done. 15k, 30k, 60k, 90k ect... . If you have documented oil changes on your motor, demand the same on the replacement, under the statement that they will return you car to its original pre screw up condition. Good luck to them, but if they find a motor out of a lexus that has 120,000 with full lexus service records via a vin search, I would be satisfied with that, on the condition that i could inspect the vin tag on the motor its self. It is the same as the vin on the car, also request a car fax on the car the motor came out of to insure that the motor has not been sitting on in a salvage yard for 5 years. Do not accept anything that is more than a year out of the car. The car fax will have a date the car was "totaled".

After making all these demands, then reiterate that you would gladly accept a new longblock with a 12,000 standard warranty.

If they are still giving you trouble, then get a business card out of your pocket with a lawyers name on it, flip it over and read off "I need the address to send official correspondence to, not only here at the dealership but at the corporate office" (they are probably owned by a company like sonic, that is a conglomerate of dealerships)

good luck, also get the attorney general involved, as dealerships have to have a license.

Somewhat of a last resort, go to the television station and get the consumer watch bulldogs on their a**. Especially if they say they have a motor for you and you have a copy of the vin and carfax that proves the motor has a crap load of miles on it.

If you are persistent, forceful, but polite and professional, you will get what you want. \\\

FINALLY....GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING AND READ EVERYTHING TWICE.......BEFORE YOU LET THEM PUT ANYTHING IN YOUR CAR VERIFY THE VIN NUMBER PERSONALLY AND TAKE A PICTURE OF IT. CHECK THE CARFAX MAKE SURE IT MATCHES, THEN GO TO THE LEXUS DEALERSHIP AND GET A PRINTOUT OF THE SERVICE RECORDS. IF THE DEALERSHIP SAYS SOMETHING, AND DO NOT HAVE TO WRITTEN PROOF, MAKE THEM WRITE IT DOWN IN THE FINAL SETTLEMENT. THERE WILL BE A FINAL SETTLEMENT RELEASING THEM OF ANY FURTHER LIABILITY (THE INSURANCE COMPANY WILL DEMAND IT) IF IT DOES NOT MATCH YOUR OWN RESEARCH, SUE THE HELL OUT OF THEM.
Could not say it any better than this....
Old 10-31-11, 12:34 PM
cschroder
Driver

oh yeah, while they have the motor out have them replace the transmission front seal. may as well, they will tell you that they dont want to do it unless it is leaking, cuz you never bring your car in to replace the front transmission seal unless it is leaking. the only time you would even mention it is when you dont have to pay the 400-600 labor charge to remove the transmission to get at it. the seal is less than 20 dollars.
Old 10-31-11, 01:20 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by TheRyanGS
2 stacks.....they are on crack....call them back and say u spoke to someone who tried to rip you offand asked for them to get fired...bec that is robbery lol
Yeah, tell me about it. I was going to call back, but I took the time to Google their Lexus dealer for reviews, and they had 2of5 stars...why???? Poor customer service!! I will stick with the Independent guy who does great work.

Quick Reply: Ughh, Toyota dealership destroyed my engine after timing belt replacement