GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ughh, Toyota dealership destroyed my engine after timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-11, 01:50 PM
Lextasy671
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn that blows. you dont owe them anything..they break it they fix it. hope your issues get resolved.
Old 10-31-11, 03:17 PM
BiGRiGNiG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update 10/31: Called the dealer for an update. The insurance company came out on Friday and took a look, and confirmed engine replacement is the way to go. That same day (after my last update), I reiterated to the dealer that I want a new engine, not a salvage pull or other source. They acknowledged and said they'd do what they could.

Today the dealer submitted paperwork to the insurance company with cost differences for a new engine versus used. They told me that it was approximately a $12k difference, and that there wasn't much availability for the long block portion. (Later I called an unrelated Lexus dealer and the parts guy there confirmed that there was no long block available in all of the U.S., but that the short block was still able to be ordered.)

The Toyota dealer guy says that they're waiting to hear back from insurance on their course of action; if they go the used route, they'll most likely be installing an engine with 80k miles (mine had 126k). I advised that if we were forced to go the used route (not optimal), that I needed to see a VIN search of a proper service/maintenance/physical non-flood/crash history, and that I'd want a new timing belt installed right away if it hadn't already been done. I also requested that they install new engine mounts as part of the work, regardless of the engine.

The service manager says that any replacement engine would come with a 12 month parts and labor warranty...I think I might ask for more time.

So, still in progress at this point...thanks for all of the advice so far.

Last edited by BiGRiGNiG; 10-31-11 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-31-11, 04:47 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ok so far seems ok...but they *** can call Japan and let the *** sned over an engine on the next ship...im sure shipments come over every week...but yea see if they will extend that to 24 months and also get some free servicing for a year or two
Old 10-31-11, 06:00 PM
VIPdLexus
Driver School Candidate

New motor yay! !!!!
Old 11-01-11, 08:18 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

did you even bother contacting corporate? I feel the short end of the stick coming. And how the hell are they coming with a 12k diff. If they get a used engine, don't they have to rebuild it? Dude, you are going to get the short end of the stick. Call corp and start complaining.
Old 11-01-11, 09:09 AM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry if I missed this, but what dealership did this?
Old 11-01-11, 10:01 AM
cdg306
Rookie

Call 800-255-3987. It's corporate customer relations. They should be able to help.
Old 11-01-11, 02:05 PM
BiGRiGNiG
Rookie

Called Toyota customer care (800-331-4331), on hold for approx 15 minutes...gave up and called Lexus.

Called Lexus corporate customer relations (800-255-3987) - nicest rep I've ever spoken on the phone with - and she answered right away. Unfortunately, she thought Toyota would be best to handle it since it was a Toyota dealership. She tried to get one on the phone but was on hold forever. I had to get back to work, so I had to drop. I'll try calling them again later on tonight.
Old 11-01-11, 03:50 PM
BiGRiGNiG
Rookie

Got ahold of Toyota Customer Relations. The agent opened a case and advised that he believed that the dealership is following proper protocol thus far and that his team doesn't directly have the authority over the insurance company on whether they can force a new engine versus one pulled from a car. He is going to escalate the case to the customer service manager/advocate at the dealership. One of the things I requested on this call is daily updates, which I've requested to the dealership on every interaction we've had thus far, but they haven't followed through. Even email would be fine; they have my email address.

So, no instant success from working with corporate, but perhaps the pressure coming down on on the dealership from above will make things better in the end.
Old 11-01-11, 03:51 PM
G0TB00ST
Driver

Im sorry about hearing about the damage... However... They should not be doing the new engine for you. I wouldnt trust them at all!!!!
Old 11-01-11, 05:51 PM
Vegas
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me throw this out there.

Technically, your cars value will be negatively affected by this incident. The insurance company has to indemnify you. This means they need to compensate you for any value lost because the car no longer has the original motor and has a "salvaged" replacement.
Old 11-01-11, 09:01 PM
Protagnist
Rookie

Let me throw this out there.

The insurance company will screw you regardless. If they think it is cheaper to just go ahead and total your vehicle if the labor + parts exceeds the value, then they will. It will be whichever method requires them to cut the smallest check. Boom.
Attached Thumbnails Ughh, Toyota dealership destroyed my engine after timing belt replacement-11089941.jpg  

Last edited by Protagnist; 11-01-11 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-03-11, 09:26 AM
sinistervr
Lead Lap

where do you guys get your info from, this is hilarious...

i am a tech and work for a dealer.. if any customer brought there car in out of warr. had cp work done and we blew the engine you do not get a new engine no matter how much you say you want it. at the end of the day the car has ver 100k miles, doesn't matter what service records and what has and hasn't been performed.. it doesn't affect your insurance in any way. the dealer will give you 12 months unlimited milage warr.. thas the best your gunna get esp with your milage.
Old 11-03-11, 12:46 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Starting to wonder if this is worse than my brother in law taking his Toy pickup to a Toy dealer and they put on the lift and it fell off and totaled it. He drives a Honda now.

He had to go round and round with the dealer's insurance company. I don't think it took this long, but I could be wrong too.
Old 11-03-11, 01:20 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by sinistervr
where do you guys get your info from, this is hilarious...

i am a tech and work for a dealer.. if any customer brought there car in out of warr. had cp work done and we blew the engine you do not get a new engine no matter how much you say you want it. at the end of the day the car has ver 100k miles, doesn't matter what service records and what has and hasn't been performed.. it doesn't affect your insurance in any way. the dealer will give you 12 months unlimited milage warr.. thas the best your gunna get esp with your milage.
No disrespect to you, but you are JUST a tech and you have no say in what final decisions are made. We have someone on this same thread who works for Lexus and stated a customer was able to get a new engine after tech destroyed the engine. When Best Buy destroyed the costly ECU in my old Infiniti (old ECU had 200k on it), I got a NEW ECU, not a used ECU with similar mileage from LKQ. I demanded from the beginning that they will be putting in a new ECU, nothing used. They also provided me a midsize (Sonata...lol, but the car actually drove nicely) rental for a month too.

Quick Reply: Ughh, Toyota dealership destroyed my engine after timing belt replacement