GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ughh, Toyota dealership destroyed my engine after timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-11, 07:03 AM
cschroder
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Incorrect. This won't have anything to do with HIS INSURANCE company. You are correct if HIS personal insurance company was involved, but this is dealing with Toyota. BTW, I'm glad I'm out of OK...I got tired of the constant hail each year lol. I was in Tulsa, OK (Broken Arrow to be exact)

really it does not matter who's insurance company you are dealing with yours or someone elses......it is an insurance company and they all work the same way.....if the salvage value on the car is high enough...they will total it, write him a check, take possession of the car and sell it at the salvage pool. If the repair: motor 1200.00 toyota install labor 2000.00, plus the salvage value of the car is 80% of the retail value of the car its over..........i doubt it that is going to be the case though. They will most likely "fix" it.
Old 11-06-11, 08:24 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you contact your insurance company? If you have full coverage, they might very well fight for you. Can't hurt to ask. I had a case of a drunk hitting my car and we had full coverage and they had me go to the dealer to get it fixed and then took care of everything else. I did nothing. Was great to deal with it. But that is body damage too. This is engine damage, but if they are going to total the car over it, then your insurance should be involved. They might join the fight on your side.
Old 11-06-11, 10:15 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess you could see what they come back with from the insurance adjuster
but it may be time to talk to a lawyer to inform them you may have a case for them to work on and if this is something of their (lawyer's) interest
Old 11-06-11, 10:42 AM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

you should always call a lawyer in anything like this. You brought your car in for an easy routine job. they broke your ****** and now you are not whole. esp with a used engine replacement. you need to be made whole for your car, your expenses that you have incurred, your time, your health. Go see a shrink about all your "anexity attacks" you have been having because of all this stress and how you love your car. longer this goes on the better. After the dr visits call your lawyer and sue toyota...90% they will just settle...

then you buy an ISF

Last edited by NEbiker10; 11-06-11 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-11-11, 09:10 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

brand new engine! new car! gooooooood life bro!
Old 11-11-11, 09:36 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Any updates?
Old 11-11-11, 07:27 PM
BIGMerle
Pole Position

Good luck man.....i would be losing my mind!!
Old 11-11-11, 08:34 PM
DREGS3
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The same thing happen to me in 2005 my timing belt (99 Gs300) was replaced by a Toyota dealership and the mechanical set my timing for a supra engine (SOHC) instead of the Lexus engine (DOHC) and when he cranked the car the valves bent. The dealership paid for everything and I have had no issues what so ever.
Old 11-12-11, 07:49 AM
BIGMerle
Pole Position

new motor, used motor, or just rebuild?
Old 11-16-11, 05:41 PM
BiGRiGNiG
Rookie

No real updates, tomorrow will be 3 weeks since this all started...their insurance adjustor took a week to come out from the initial incident, and the dealership submitted info to replacethe engine with a used one that has 85k, plus additional parts on the new engine (timing belt, tensioners, water pump, thermostat, water pump, power steering pulley, spark plugs, and anything else that is necessary during the repair.)

I've been in Vegas for the past 5 days, so I should have more updates soon.
Old 11-17-11, 05:10 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Get new cam gears too...new coils...what about engine mounts, rear main seal is a must the engine and tranny is already apart.
Old 11-17-11, 05:55 AM
cschroder
Driver

Originally Posted by TheRyanGS
Get new cam gears too...new coils...what about engine mounts, rear main seal is a must the engine and tranny is already apart.
tranny front seal and valve cover gasket set also, if a motor has been sitting then the non high torque gaskets will probably leak, the gaskets get dry then splash here come the oil.....if they try to tell you not to replace the front tranny seal because "its not leaking and we dont like to change them unless they are leaking" then ask them if they are going to warranty the tranny seal from leakage for the warranty of the "new" motor.

intake gaskets are probably ok, oil pan is ok as long as it is made with fipg. ask how much it would be to keep your core and weigh that against what will be left on it, coil packs, cam sensor, intake, throttle body, valve covers, crank sensor, knock sensors, egr valve...ect.
Old 11-17-11, 05:58 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Since you won't be getting a new engine, the 85k motor shouldn't be that bad. Make sure you have all new gaskets and parts with hopefully a warranty.
Old 11-17-11, 07:44 AM
BiGRiGNiG
Rookie

I did request that they replace the engine mounts, so that's on the list. I hope that they'll take care of the gaskets as well but they didn't mention them specifically. The replacement engine will have a 12 month parts and labor warranty on it. I'll probably have the car traded in for something else before that runs out. Maybe once I finally get the car back, I'll drive it out of the service area, around the front to the sales area, and trade it in on the spot.
Old 11-17-11, 08:05 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

I think I would find another dealer! Unless the promise to give you a screaming good deal....

Originally Posted by BiGRiGNiG
I did request that they replace the engine mounts, so that's on the list. I hope that they'll take care of the gaskets as well but they didn't mention them specifically. The replacement engine will have a 12 month parts and labor warranty on it. I'll probably have the car traded in for something else before that runs out. Maybe once I finally get the car back, I'll drive it out of the service area, around the front to the sales area, and trade it in on the spot.

Quick Reply: Ughh, Toyota dealership destroyed my engine after timing belt replacement