GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

changing bulbs???

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-11, 05:14 PM
Fiend
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I double checked all the bulbs and they are all working. Re put them in and they are all working. But the damm warning light is still on. What else could it be?
Old 11-08-11, 01:23 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What kind of bulbs are you using ? Where did you buy them from ? Try replacing the brake bulbs again with different brand. Worth a try!
Old 11-08-11, 01:59 AM
Fiend
Rookie

Never changed any bulbs. I was driving it one day and it just came on. Never had any problems with it until now. I'm the third owner.
Old 11-08-11, 07:17 AM
Andrewl125
Driver School Candidate

Seeing that there is actually a warning light in the dash is it safe to say that a shop with Lexus' Dianogstic Software can pull the code or information telling them exactly which bulb is supposedly not working.

Sometime ago "Bulb Out" light came on in my dash. I went and bought $50 in LEDs thinking that since I was there I'd replace all the lights on the "***" end of my car to LEDs. So I did this and the light was still on in the dash even after disconnecting the battery for several hours. I visually checked every bulb by pulling out all the harnesses with bulbs installed and made sure they all worked.

I then pulled all the LEDs and reinstalled the halogens and bought replacements for the ones that were blown. Disconnected the battery overnight and checked again the following morning. That blasted light still came back on once I pressed the brake pedal.

So I guess I'll take it to the shop and see if they can pull some kind of code, but like I said in my original statement; can any info be pulled from the car's computer telling me where I need to look next?
Old 11-13-11, 10:04 PM
Fiend
Rookie

^^^ so were u able to pull any codes? Or did u figure out why its on?
Old 11-14-11, 07:00 AM
Andrewl125
Driver School Candidate

Not yet.....I and going to replace all the bulbs in my 3rd brake light and re-seat them and see if that works. My light in the dash came on when I was installing my subs, and we had to pull out that brake light to remove the stock sub from the back dash. So it has to be something there. If that doesn't fix it I already setup my appointment with my shop to attempt the code thing.

I will have either an update in the next couple day if re-seating the bulbs fixed my issue, otherwise I will have something up early next week after I've taken it to the shop.
Old 11-14-11, 07:06 AM
stevenjai
Pole Position

Check the front lights, if the rear lights are all working must be the front. Could be the front parking lights.
Old 11-14-11, 07:09 AM
stevenjai
Pole Position

Change all the light bulb if its bugging you that much. Could it be the license plate lights?
Old 11-14-11, 12:44 PM
Fiend
Rookie

license plate lights still working...all the front lights are working too...
Old 11-16-11, 02:06 PM
Andrewl125
Driver School Candidate

Are you using any LEDs for any of your lights at all? At the advice of my shop before I brought my car in and having them charge me the $80 diagnostic fee, they told me to check for any LEDs. I had forgotten I used LED bulbs in my 3rd brake light. It has something to do with voltage resistance, and LEDs don't pull the same voltage a halogen bulb does and that was tripping my dash light to come on.

You can get plug and play resistors to correct this problem, but it is cheaper to just use halogen bulbs.

In retrospect I feel like a dumbass for not thinking of that sooner, but all is well in my dash now.
Old 11-16-11, 02:20 PM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Faulty license plate lights won't trigger the warning light on the dash. Your bet best would be the high-mount brake light. It has 5 w5w bulbs. I once tried changing them with LED bulbs and it triggered the warning light, (actually it triggered the brake warning light, not the bulb out light) so i went back to regular bulbs.
Old 11-18-11, 11:09 AM
matt21484
Driver School Candidate

I have a quick question as I think I'm getting the same "error". Is the dash light the red square that says "BRAKE"? This just started coming on when I press the brake pedal, but goes away when I let off of it. Same thing?
Old 11-21-11, 07:27 AM
Andrewl125
Driver School Candidate

I am pretty sure that light is telling you time to have your brakes serviced. The light we are talking about is a yellow light of a car with curved lines behind it. But if the light you are describing is what I think it is, go get your brakes checked soon.

Last edited by Andrewl125; 11-22-11 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-21-11, 11:46 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by matt21484
I have a quick question as I think I'm getting the same "error". Is the dash light the red square that says "BRAKE"? This just started coming on when I press the brake pedal, but goes away when I let off of it. Same thing?
Originally Posted by Andrewl125
I am pretty sure that light is telling you time to have your brakes serviced. The light was are talking about is a yellow light of a car with curved lines behind it. But if the light you are describing is what I think it is, go get your brakes checked soon.
OR just add brake fluid as this is what this light means(we have have a service light for our brakes nor do we have a pad sensor like the LS models do) BUT since the brakes are a closed system if you are low on fluid you might have a leak (unless their just hasnt been fluid topped off after a pad change). add the fluid and see if this light goes away...

andrew the light you are referring to is a warning telling you, you have a light out....are car's dont like LED's in the tails so if you added LED'S (NOT LED TAILS with resistors) then you will have this light but when you put the oem ones back in and it popped up again it means you still have a light out. i had one that was really tricky it would light sometimes and sometimes it wouldnt....ended up being one of my 3rd brake light lights. get a friend and look carefully, if you have any doubt change them all also no need to reset the battery for this

BTW you two....if you have a owners manual ALL the warning lights are in their and tell you exactly what they are for. if you dont have one you can register and get one for free or you can view them online here...(check the stickies)
Old 11-22-11, 05:23 AM
Andrewl125
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sakataj
OR just add brake fluid as this is what this light means(we have have a service light for our brakes nor do we have a pad sensor like the LS models do) BUT since the brakes are a closed system if you are low on fluid you might have a leak (unless their just hasnt been fluid topped off after a pad change). add the fluid and see if this light goes away...

andrew the light you are referring to is a warning telling you, you have a light out....are car's dont like LED's in the tails so if you added LED'S (NOT LED TAILS with resistors) then you will have this light but when you put the oem ones back in and it popped up again it means you still have a light out. i had one that was really tricky it would light sometimes and sometimes it wouldnt....ended up being one of my 3rd brake light lights. get a friend and look carefully, if you have any doubt change them all also no need to reset the battery for this

BTW you two....if you have a owners manual ALL the warning lights are in their and tell you exactly what they are for. if you dont have one you can register and get one for free or you can view them online here...(check the stickies)
But if brake pads are low and in need of servicing wouldn't that trigger the brake light as well? I thought that with the pads being low the piston in the caliper is over extended causing more brake fluid to sit in the calipers, therefore less fluid in the resevior hence the warning light. Oh well I could be wrong, just making sure that if brake pads are low and topping off the brake fluid will cause an overflow and spillage when new pads are installed.

Also going back to all halogen bulbs solved my problem, and the light went away within seconds of turing the car on. Now to get rid of my auto-leveling headlight warning light without have to spend $300 for that sensor.

Quick Reply: changing bulbs???