GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

The answer to the "can you tint over tint" question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-11 | 07:52 AM
cschroder
Driver

Default The answer to the "can you tint over tint" question

When i bought my 2gs it had a very slight metallic tint on it. After getting a no seat belt ticket, , it was time to figure it out. (at least no seatbelt in Oklahoma is only 20 bucks) Called a buddy who has been doing tint for 20 years and talked to him. You can put tint over tint on a 2GS, 3GS you cannot. So since i had metallic tint, he advised me that ceramic would work best. So here is a picture....front window "original" metallic tint only, back window has ceramic laid over it to take it to the legal limit in Oklahoma. I love the look, it retained that metallic sheen and added a deep dark look. I love the metallic but when you go that dark on it, it gets real "silvery". Best of both worlds...what do you guys think. He also told me of a new Ray Ban tint, not cheap, that will go 100% clear at night and then go as dark as you want during the day, fyi for anyone wanting to put on tint, i thought i would have been cool but could not do it over existing tint.
Attached Thumbnails The answer to the "can you tint over tint" question-2011-11-12_13-11-14_95.jpg  
Old 11-13-11 | 08:05 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Just wear your seatbelt.
Old 11-13-11 | 11:32 AM
Protagnist
Rookie

So, maybe I am not reading this right, so I will ask the question even though I may regret the answer. Why would you put tint on top of tint? Remove the old tint and put new, darker tint on?
Old 11-13-11 | 11:34 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Just wear your seatbelt.
I never wore my seatbelt.. until i got a ticket. I wear it all the time now saves me $80 bucks.

Originally Posted by Protagnist
So, maybe I am not reading this right, so I will ask the question even though I may regret the answer. Why would you put tint on top of tint? Remove the old tint and put new, darker tint on?
+1

Why stick tint on tint? Removing it does not take that long anyways.
Old 11-13-11 | 03:35 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Two layers of tint is common to achieve various shades or reflectiveness.

It's done often to try to match up suvs, vans, and trucks that have factory tinted glass on all the rear/side windows and nothing on the front roll-ups, the factory tints sometimes are varying levels of bronze, mirror, grey, black, etc.. So by combining say 50% bronze with 70% grey mirror you may more closely match a factory tint than just using a 35% bronze mirror tint would.

I've seen quite a few combos that gave some nice colors and effects over the years done by combining two types of tint together.
Old 11-13-11 | 06:41 PM
cdg306
Rookie

I never wore my seatbelt.. until i got a ticket. I wear it all the time now saves me $80 bucks.
And your life.
Old 11-14-11 | 03:11 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Putting tint over tint seems like a half a** way of doing things. Do it right the first time and peel the old stuff off. More than likely your original tint has scratches, marks and may even be loosing it's color.
Old 11-14-11 | 03:22 PM
AristoKing
Instructor

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Just wear your seatbelt.
On behalf of Club Lexus... What He said^^^^^

No seat belt
Yes seat belt
Old 11-14-11 | 06:50 PM
Busha
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cschroder
When i bought my 2gs it had a very slight metallic tint on it. After getting a no seat belt ticket, , it was time to figure it out. (at least no seatbelt in Oklahoma is only 20 bucks) Called a buddy who has been doing tint for 20 years and talked to him. You can put tint over tint on a 2GS, 3GS you cannot. So since i had metallic tint, he advised me that ceramic would work best. So here is a picture....front window "original" metallic tint only, back window has ceramic laid over it to take it to the legal limit in Oklahoma. I love the look, it retained that metallic sheen and added a deep dark look. I love the metallic but when you go that dark on it, it gets real "silvery". Best of both worlds...what do you guys think. He also told me of a new Ray Ban tint, not cheap, that will go 100% clear at night and then go as dark as you want during the day, fyi for anyone wanting to put on tint, i thought i would have been cool but could not do it over existing tint.

Yes you can I put tint over my stock tint on my Cayenne limo tint
Old 11-14-11 | 06:53 PM
Busha
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cschroder

Yes you can I put tint over my stock tint on my Cayenne limo tint on top of factory and limo in front so the backs was 2% Sunlight & 5% in front . It came out sweet I can send you a pic if you like... No one can see you no matter how sunny it is😃😃😃😃😜😜😜
Old 11-15-11 | 09:24 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
Putting tint over tint seems like a half a** way of doing things. Do it right the first time and peel the old stuff off. More than likely your original tint has scratches, marks and may even be loosing it's color.
the point is that sometimes you need double tint to get the darkness you are looking for that isn't available in regular tint that is available... see 99GS3 reply is correct...

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
Two layers of tint is common to achieve various shades or reflectiveness.

It's done often to try to match up suvs, vans, and trucks that have factory tinted glass on all the rear/side windows and nothing on the front roll-ups, the factory tints sometimes are varying levels of bronze, mirror, grey, black, etc.. So by combining say 50% bronze with 70% grey mirror you may more closely match a factory tint than just using a 35% bronze mirror tint would.

I've seen quite a few combos that gave some nice colors and effects over the years done by combining two types of tint together.
i remember my friend who had double 5% tint on his Escalade so it would essentially give him 2.5% tint
Old 11-15-11 | 09:56 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AristoKing
On behalf of Club Lexus... What He said^^^^^

No seat belt
Yes seat belt
funny but true
Old 11-15-11 | 11:10 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

My Wife's RX30 is double layered tint. Looks great. Your car looks good with the double layer.
Old 11-15-11 | 02:07 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
It's only half-*** if the installation is half-***. If the desired color, shade, reflectiveness, or light transmission you really want is not available from the various tint manufactures out there then you can get creative and combine types to get the look you want. There is nothing ghetto or wrong with doing so, as long as the installation is properly done. There can be issues on some particular cars that have extremely tight window sweeps on the doors, or very pointy corner cuts, but other than that it's done quite often in some of the most professional windows film installations on both cars and buildings.

Now like you say if the first layer of tint is not has bubbles, scratches, etc then yes it would be ghetto to slap some more on it... I'm talking about perfect work with perfect materials.
Old 11-16-11 | 06:16 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

why can you do it on a 2gs but not a 3gs? isn't glass, glass?

Quick Reply: The answer to the "can you tint over tint" question