GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2jz gte vvti swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-11, 05:42 PM
shai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2jz gte vvti swap

hey guys i decided to sign up for this site because it always comes up when i do a search.... lol

so you must know what you guys doing!!!

i just finished my nissan 240sx with an RB swap (skyline motor)
thanks to my years in the filed and the lovely web.. but was not to happy with the final numbers 338rwh and 298 lbs. on dyno
but now i got a 99 gs and looking to sell the nissan and go 2jz gte vvti looking for 400 to 500 daily driver..
can some one please guide me in the right path. i have always been a nissan guy and have worked for nissan infiniti for 10 years...

i guess my biggest concern is the wiring, but if there any other thing i should know about the swap i would realy appreciate your time and knowledge
Old 11-14-11, 05:55 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately most all of the Aristo 2jzgte vvti swaps have immobilizers built into the ecu so your screwed if you get one of these with your swap.

You can either get really lucky and find one without the immobilzer, go full standalone or find another 2jzgte vvti ecu that doesnt have the immobilizer.
Old 11-14-11, 06:03 PM
shai
Driver School Candidate

well thats a new one, im glad to hear that i havent heard that yet.. but if i some how find the right ecu does that mean plug and play,,,,,
Old 11-14-11, 06:09 PM
2003jzs160
Driver School Candidate

It seems this is all i do on this forum is explain this swap process:
If you want a daily driver you cant use the Aristo ecu, simply because it wont wire right into a USDM GS and you will loose a lot of the functionality of your current car.
Two, the factory twins on this engine cant support that horse power or at least the JDM ceramic turbines cant.
Also the 2JZGTE VVTI without the factory twins is - at least from an electrical stand point - the same as the 2JZGE in your car already.
Now i have said this many time and it is what i did on my own car.
1) Get JDM engine
2) Remove twin turbos and go single
3) Remove Aristo wiring harness and ecu
4) Use GE harness on GTE
5) Use Patch harness with a piggyback ecu to run the car
6) Basic transmission upgrades
Follow these steps and you will have a GS which acts like stock and is a great daily, but has 500hp.
Did it to my own car in my drive way and couldn't be happier.

Last edited by 2003jzs160; 11-14-11 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-14-11, 07:00 PM
shai
Driver School Candidate

5) by using patch harness with piggyback do you mean like a safc or full stand alone?
on other word you saying use stock ge harness and ecu and just a safc or stand alone for tunning ?? with a jdm swap kit (engine tranny and ecu/harness kit )
Old 11-14-11, 07:23 PM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2003jzs160
If you want a daily driver you cant use the Aristo ecu, simply because it wont wire right into a USDM GS and you will loose a lot of the functionality of your current car.
Two, the factory twins on this engine cant support that horse power or at least the JDM ceramic turbines cant.
Also the 2JZGTE VVTI without the factory twins is - at least from an electrical stand point - the same as the 2JZGE in your car already.
Now i have said this many time and it is what i did on my own car.
1) Get JDM engine
2) Remove twin turbos and go single
3) Remove Aristo wiring harness and ecu
4) Use GE harness on GTE
5) Use Patch harness with a piggyback ecu to run the car
6) Basic transmission upgrades
Follow these steps and you will have a GS which acts like stock and is a great daily, but has 500hp.
Did it to my own car in my drive way and couldn't be happier.
What are you talking about ? I have a swap, Aristo with twins, using Aristo ECU with the GS300 harness and FULLY functional; the other things I agree, but not this statement ...

Last edited by Wicked GS; 11-14-11 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-15-11, 08:36 AM
epic1si
Rookie

Originally Posted by Wicked GS
What are you talking about ? I have a swap, Aristo with twins, using Aristo ECU with the GS300 harness and FULLY functional; the other things I agree, but not this statement ...
same here and with 02 gs300 which requires more wiring...and i daily and everything works except for my VSC and ECT control
Old 11-15-11, 08:59 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read that the 99-01 GS3 swap is easy, but not that easy. Were you really able to just swap motors and ECU with minor wiring?
Old 11-15-11, 12:17 PM
epic1si
Rookie

98-early 01 models were probably the easiest to do the swap basically just a handful of wires to change over

most of the answers to your questions are probably in this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...onversion.html
Old 11-15-11, 01:04 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm already subscribed to that thread Lots of good info
Old 11-15-11, 03:08 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003jzs160
Huh? The VVTI Aristo ECU works perfectly in a USDM GS. The only issue is you loose the ability to read OBDII codes with a standard scanner, which is not a problem unless the state inspections where he is at require a clean obdII scan. Any talk about VSC/Trac loss it only because those people didn't buy the JDM abs/vsc/trac ecu that goes in the cabin, and enables these functions again.

There is no rewiring of the ecu required at all for a 98-early 01 like the OP does have as long as you get the complete harness with the orange and gray terminator caps still on the harness. Only the tach wire needs to be tapped.

The JDM GTE VVTI has STEEL turbines, it was only the JDM NON-VVTI that had ceramic. They can push 400-450rwp if still in good condition with the supporting mods, will need to ditch those 440cc injectors and get some usdm 550's though.

Originally Posted by Wicked GS
What are you talking about ? I have a swap, Aristo with twins, using Aristo ECU with the GS300 harness and FULLY functional;.
Agreed as well, everything in my car works stock with the JDM VVTI ECU as well.
Old 11-15-11, 03:09 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by epic1si
same here and with 02 gs300 which requires more wiring...and i daily and everything works except for my VSC and ECT control
You can get those functions back with a JDM abs/trac/vsc module.
Old 11-15-11, 03:14 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RyanV
Unfortunately most all of the Aristo 2jzgte vvti swaps have immobilizers built into the ecu so your screwed if you get one of these with your swap.

You can either get really lucky and find one without the immobilzer, go full standalone or find another 2jzgte vvti ecu that doesnt have the immobilizer.

The 97-00 aristo's ecu typically are non-immobilizer versions, the 01-05's seem to all have it.

It's not some big deal like everyone makes it out to be for whatever reason. A local locksmith with the toyota multilink immobilizer ecu flash tool can make your original key work in minutes. Just cost $100-$200 to get it done.
Old 11-15-11, 04:10 PM
epic1si
Rookie

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
You can get those functions back with a JDM abs/trac/vsc module.
the traction control works i just can't disable it with the buttons in the center console....abs also works as well....

otherwise it's not that big of a deal i just live with it not a big deal to me but i wish i could pass state inspections since i need a clean scan hahahaha
Old 11-15-11, 04:25 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by epic1si
otherwise it's not that big of a deal i just live with it not a big deal to me but i wish i could pass state inspections since i need a clean scan hahahaha
Yeah unfortunately no go on getting an obd scan with the JDM ecu.

Quick Reply: 2jz gte vvti swap