GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Looked at a GS400 today, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-02 | 02:58 AM
NYC Max
Driver

Default Looked at a GS400 today, opinions?

It was at a used car lot, 98 GS400 White w/tan leather, Xenon, Spoiler, 17's, 27,900 miles, awesome looking body kit. Very clean, no dings or body work, only things I noticed were: The woodtrim on the ashtray piece was coming off just a bit, the right headlight was a bit scraped(Parking scuff), the right side piece that connects the front bumper to the hood was sticking out just a tiny bit for some reason. Anyway, all the things I mentioned would be relatively simple to fix. So I drove it, felt great, no rattles, sounded great. Now it came to price, $26,000 was pretty much the lowest they'd go since a buyer already left a deposit. After taxes and registration it came out to $28,330 (I suspect $28K would cut it if I was to buy it then and there). About $4K over my budget, but after seeing the car, I was ready to do whatever it took. Then right before I left, I asked them where they picked the car up and they told me at the Manheim dealer auction. So I looked it up and only about 10 were sold at Manheim within the last month, so I spotted a white one sold on 9/26 with 27,8xx miles, easily identifying it as the one they bought. The best part is they picked it up for $22,600, so it just got me thinking that I could get a similar deal by going along with my dealer friend and not have to go over my planned budget.

I'm just baffled as to why some of them went for up to $26,000 at the same auction that same day and this fully loaded one with only 27K miles for $22.6K. It also kills me how much I love the white and how awesome it looked with the body kit. Anyway, let me know what you guys think.

On a side note, took a 97 540IA for a testdrive. Nice and smooth, but I just feel much more at home in the GS. The 540 was Silver/Black Leather with 58K miles, very ugly stock 16's, ugly black body moldings, no HID or Navi or upgraded stereo. $20K is probably what it wouldve taken but I didnt even consider it.
Old 10-09-02 | 06:41 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

Spend $15 to run a Carfax report on that VIN and you will probably find out why it went for less than the others. And you could run the VIN on the service terminal at your friendly local Lexus dealer and find out the car's service history (at least, for all service done at any Lexus dealer).

BTW, I'd suggest you do that with ANY car that you seriously think you want to buy. Good luck!!
Old 10-09-02 | 12:02 PM
zxlr8
Pole Position

The reason it went for less was the bodykit!! I promise you that was it. If I were you, get more info about the car from the Lexus dealer and then if the other buyer falls through offer 24. I used to sell new toyotas so I have access to the toyotadirect on manheim.
Old 10-09-02 | 02:13 PM
NYC Max
Driver

ZX, your absolutely right about the bodykit actually being a negative factor to most dealers looking to sell the car retail. The sad thing is I wouldve been all over it if I was there at the auction. Seems like at least a $2000 bonus, plus you never know how a shop will paint a kit until they actually do, here it was, without the hassle, as well as with awesome mileage. I guess I'll just keep my eyes open.
Old 10-09-02 | 02:57 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I'd say it's the color and the bodykit. Not to offend white GS owners, but when I was shopping for mine the dealer told me a white one would be $1,000 less because it's a hard color to move.

As for the body kit, and despite the loud crowd of enthusiasts here, most people like the styling of the GS "as-is" and would find any kind of obivous modification to be a big negative. Plus, people probably think of it this way--if the previous owner was the kind of "crazy kid" who would put a body kit on a nice car like a GS, I wonder how many street races he was in, how much he abused the car, etc...
Old 10-09-02 | 04:38 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

"....the right side piece that connects the front bumper to the hood was sticking out just a tiny bit for some reason..."

I would check exactly the reason for the above. This can be a tell-tale sign that the car had been involved in an accident. It can be minor or whatever but suggest you look closer. The fact that it sold for much less than the rest at the Manheim may corroborate this situation.
Old 10-09-02 | 07:12 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up hey

Good Buy!

Welcome to the Lexus Family. Hey are ya gonna be at the Club Lexus Meet at Floyd Bennet Field Oct. 12th.

Paul
Old 10-09-02 | 07:40 PM
Rick1-10
Driver School Candidate

Did the VIN ended with "2062"? If so that car had all kinds of problems. The Body kit install was not good. The paint didn't match and well for the money I guess it wasn't a bad deal but to make it just like new the paint anyways it would probably cost you 3K to get it repainted. If your happy with the way it is now though.. Good Deal. I didn't check for VIN's but when looking for a car check for VIN number under the hood. There should be one on each fender and one on the hood. With the GS4 99' anyway the VIN's are located mid way under the hood on each fender and the one on the hood is on the drivers side right above the headlight. If you don't see them it probably been in a accident. And if you think that would show on a carfax report.. guess what... Maybe and maybe not.
Old 10-10-02 | 03:10 AM
BkLexZ
Pole Position

Talking

Yo NYC Max Go to Manheim auto auction, you will not find a abetter price. A month ago I bought a gs 300 silver on black with 63K for $18.800. So dude do your self a favor and dont get jerkedat car lot, go to Manheim, great variety and good cars most are 1999 or newer. 99 gs 400 were going for 20,000-24,000. Max sounds Russian, if you are you know how we buy cars .
Old 10-10-02 | 01:30 PM
NYC Max
Driver

BkLexz, your right I am Russian and I do know how we buy cars, I think I even heard about you buying your GS300 a month ago, somebody told me you got a sick deal. You probably have a brother named Alex if your who I think you are.

How much does your dealer charge to take you to Manheim?
Old 10-10-02 | 01:42 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Damn. Does every F__King Russian own a Maxima and is named Alex?

PezdeietZ!

Sasha.
Old 10-10-02 | 02:21 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Guys, I am in search of another car that I want to get cheap at the auction. I know how manheim works and its nuts. Without the right guidance you can get easily had.
PM me with anyone who you trust to take me into the auction and knows there way around. I dont mind paying a referral fee of $100 bucks. If my transaction goes smooth with the guy you recommend than I will throw you $50 bucks as a thanks!!
Old 10-10-02 | 02:32 PM
NYC Max
Driver

Alexulan, not for long. Seems like the only thing to go from a Maxima is into a GS400/540IS/E 430 SP/A6 2.7T so looks like the Maxima roots will soon be left behind.
Old 10-10-02 | 02:33 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

the fee is more like $500
Old 10-10-02 | 02:59 PM
NYC Max
Driver

With a Russian dealer who is a friend the fee is more like $200 for Manheim and $100 for Bordentown/NADE. What Drew is offering is $100 just for the connection to that person and then $50 on top of that if he buys a nice car using the person you connected him to.

Drew, I'll get you a few numbers of russian dealers within a few days, no fee.

Quick Reply: Looked at a GS400 today, opinions?