GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

want to lower my car

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 01:06 PM
Fnt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to lower my car

I am currently thinking about lower my 99 gs300. The only thing I am skeptical about is that my father is a mechanic and has been for many years says that lowering a car is no good for the other suspension parts, such as ball joints and bushings. Has anyone on here who DD their car lowered have any problems with any other suspension parts? Also my car only has 50,000 miles on it and i want it to last
Old 11-16-11, 03:28 PM
850Lexus
Pole Position

Well unfortunately our cars suspension have problems usually once you get closer to 100k as far as ball joints and bushings. There are plenty of threads on here discussing the various problems. I am at 180k miles and working to get my new car ride back replacing various bushings. As far as lowering you have options. I just ordered some tanabe nf210's which have a mild drop but keeps the oem ride and I am adding some small rca's to clear my LS400 big brakes. Yes you cause added wear and tear but its a matter of how much you lower it. Slammed yes the suspension is being strained alot. Me , I will have a 1.5-2" drop and I don't think I have much to worry about. You could also go with rca's which are spacers that retain the suspension geometry while lowering the car I believe. All the information is on here you just have to find it. Good luck
Old 11-16-11, 04:45 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

The Tanabe DF is what your looking for the 1.5'' drop all around..

Welcome to CL and please search our older threads for this topic. There are many pictures and members in your situation...
Old 11-16-11, 06:04 PM
Fnt
Driver School Candidate

I've read about the different ways people lower their cars here and the positive and negatives of each. I'm asking which is best or which gives the drop I want because currently I'm not sure how low I want to do. What I'm trying to ask is that if I do decide to lower my car will my car need more maintenance in regards to other suspension parts? And what kind of maintenance are we talking about if any.
Old 11-16-11, 06:28 PM
Vegas
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fnt
I am currently thinking about lower my 99 gs300. The only thing I am skeptical about is that my father is a mechanic and has been for many years says that lowering a car is no good for the other suspension parts, such as ball joints and bushings. Has anyone on here who DD their car lowered have any problems with any other suspension parts? Also my car only has 50,000 miles on it and i want it to last
He is correct IF you do not correct the geometry and non-adjustable parts. Take the lower control arm #2 for instance. This is a fixed piece that while under compression is stretched but at rest is not. By lowering your suspension this piece with always be stretched and pre-maturely fail.

That being said I personally know of two GS' that have been lowered for over 120,000 miles with only lowering springs with minimal issues up until recently when I forced them to replace their ball joints and control arms out of safety.
Old 11-16-11, 07:14 PM
Fnt
Driver School Candidate

Ok so how would I go about correcting the non adjustable parts? And depending on how low I decide to go I'm guessing more correction will necessary and might not even be possible right?
Old 11-16-11, 07:46 PM
Lextasy671
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome buddy. this topic is pretty much talked about all the time. if u want a nice simple drop id say a nice set of drop springs should ease off the stress on your suspension. anything lower, youll need to spend to beef em up..check FIGS Engineering if youre looking for aftermarket parts.
Old 11-16-11, 09:06 PM
Fnt
Driver School Candidate

So it seems that the lower I decide to go the more work it will be. If i do decide to drop my car I would most likely go with coils because of the adjustability. Thanks for the help
Old 11-17-11, 03:27 AM
MiggzGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fnt
So it seems that the lower I decide to go the more work it will be. If i do decide to drop my car I would most likely go with coils because of the adjustability. Thanks for the help
Coils is always the best way to go...
Old 11-17-11, 04:54 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If your just using springs go tanabe df...they give u a descent drop and they ride perfect....suspension probs is gonna happen whether you drop it or not...that's just our car....
Old 11-17-11, 08:42 AM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if your going coils i would recommend the stance GR+ they ride really good, close to stock imo and pretty budget oriented. you can hit up nick from THmortorsports here in the forum, great guy to work with and will cut you a pretty good deal. and like everyone says lowering you car will cause stress to other suspension parts, like balljoints but a set or RCA can help with that and figs also have other suspension goodies to help. GL on your decision