GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Code P0125 / Clicking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-11, 12:15 PM
s6arface
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code P0125 / Clicking Sound

Hey everyone,

I changed out my spark plugs 2 weeks back and got a P0125 after i changed out my plugs. i reset the code and it came back (i was thinking it was becasue air got in the coolant). I searched on the forum and couldn't find a fix. Coolant levels are fine, and i don't believe it is the thermastat (it came on right after i changed out the plugs). Also, when i do a cold start, there is a clicking sound from the passenger side that goes away after maybe 5 minutes of the car being driven. I appreciate the help in advance!

Thanks!
Old 11-20-11, 12:17 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

always say what kind car you got
Old 11-20-11, 02:09 PM
s6arface
Driver School Candidate

sorry about that, but its a 2001 gs300. i coulda sworn i had a sig
Old 11-20-11, 04:33 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

That code is related to insufficient temperature to become closed loop.Your problem could be bad ECT, stuck open thermostat, bad oxygen sensor. Also check the condition of the coolant.
Old 01-02-12, 05:05 PM
s6arface
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the reply gs4! i got a chance to look at it this weekend, my coolant levels are fine. i also did a diagnostic to run the car to have any air bubbles come out of the coolant (which may have occured while disammebling the engine in order to get the spark plugs in) and i stlil get the error code. the oxygen sensors are fine as well. any other ideas?

thanks in advance
Old 01-02-12, 08:12 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Those are actually the solutions.
Old 01-07-12, 02:00 PM
9999lexus
Driver School Candidate

Have your problem fixed? I just have the same code P0125 with my car so would like to hear from you.
I also read on a toyota forum that P0125 is a miss reading code of toyota and many people got their car fixed by replacing the bank 1 sensor 1 Oxygen sensor.
Thanks,
Old 01-08-12, 06:22 AM
gtmuggs
Rookie

yes i have seen this code two let me know what it turns out to be please
Old 04-24-12, 11:48 AM
s6arface
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE:

i finally got a chance to take it to the mechanic (got emissions coming up next month, and figured i need to get it fixed). he changed out one of the o2 sensors because of a faulty voltage, but the code came back on. he is considering changing out the other o2 sensor as well (if it isn't rusted out). i doing more searches and saw a lot of posts about the ECT (like gs4 mentioned). i'll let you guys know what happens, but any new ideas?
Old 04-24-12, 12:19 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Oxygen sensor doesnt determine closed loop. The ECT, thermostat and coolant determines closed loop.

Originally Posted by s6arface
UPDATE:

i finally got a chance to take it to the mechanic (got emissions coming up next month, and figured i need to get it fixed). he changed out one of the o2 sensors because of a faulty voltage, but the code came back on. he is considering changing out the other o2 sensor as well (if it isn't rusted out). i doing more searches and saw a lot of posts about the ECT (like gs4 mentioned). i'll let you guys know what happens, but any new ideas?
Old 04-24-12, 12:25 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by s6arface
UPDATE:

i finally got a chance to take it to the mechanic (got emissions coming up next month, and figured i need to get it fixed). he changed out one of the o2 sensors because of a faulty voltage, but the code came back on. he is considering changing out the other o2 sensor as well (if it isn't rusted out).
Almost sounds like he is throwing parts at it. He needs to be testing these parts before charging you to replace them - plus:

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Oxygen sensor doesnt determine closed loop. The ECT, thermostat and coolant determines closed loop.
Old 04-24-12, 12:53 PM
s6arface
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Debonair
Almost sounds like he is throwing parts at it. He needs to be testing these parts before charging you to replace them - plus:
i did get a chance to ask him about the ECT and thermostat, and he said those were working properly. the first sensor that was changed out was because it was flatlining. he recommended changing out the second one as well, and now the 2nd one is flatlining as well. he should be done with it in about 30-40 mins from now (hes waiting on the part) so we'll see. (the car is at a local meineke)
Old 04-24-12, 03:18 PM
s6arface
Driver School Candidate

the replacement of the other o2 sensor didnt fix the issue either (he will be removing the new o2 sensor as a result so i wont be charged). i asked him to take a look at the things gs4 mentioned (ect working correctly, and checking the thermostat to make sure it works correctly) and he said they were. i was also going off of the thread below:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mai...elp-p0125.html

doing a search, looks like Mike was the only one to get their problem fixed (everyone else seems to be MIA). hes gonna keep the car at the shop for another day to run more diagnostics. going back to GS4's original post the following have been done:

our problem could be bad ECT (according to mechanic it works properly)
stuck open thermostat (according to mechnic it works properly)
bad oxygen sensor (replaced one flatlining o2 sensor, and the other one was well - still didn't fix the issue)
Also check the condition of the coolant (coolant is at good levels - i checked this myself as well).

any other ideas or suggesstions? am i missing somethign? excuse my ignorance. thanks in advance!!!
Old 04-24-12, 08:07 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Did he check the wire integrity on the a/f ratio sensors? Maybe there is a broken wire. That's assuming ECT, and Thermostat are good and already changed 2 brand new A/F sensors. That would be the only thing left, is wire integrity problem.
Old 04-25-12, 05:42 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

For what its worth, regarding the clicking sound, I had a similar situation only to find out that one of my plugs had worked itself out. I originally had a hard time getting it out 'cuz it was stuck so I'd left it alone but over time it had worked itself out. That's where my ticking sound was coming from. Screwed it back down and the cold ticking went away.

Quick Reply: Code P0125 / Clicking Sound