GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What happened to my car?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-11, 05:46 PM
msports205
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to my car?!?!?

So, I go outside to get into my car (1998 GS400) and the dome light is on...
"This is crazy, I don't believe I left that on", I think to myself. Well, try to start the car and it's dead and as if it can get worse, my keyless entry doesn't lock the doors
When I press the lock button, the dome light dims and that is all that happens.
Even when I manually try to lock the door, the door does not lock...

What is going on? Please help!
Old 11-20-11, 05:52 PM
850Lexus
Pole Position

Sounds like one of your doors isn't closing all the way. It would explain everything you describe. The dome light is dimming because it is getting the signal but cant do anything.

Or for some reason the computer is thinking it is getting a constant signal. Remove the + battery cable and let sit for a few and see if that resets everything.
Old 11-20-11, 07:19 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 850Lexus
Sounds like one of your doors isn't closing all the way. It would explain everything you describe. The dome light is dimming because it is getting the signal but cant do anything.

Or for some reason the computer is thinking it is getting a constant signal. Remove the + battery cable and let sit for a few and see if that resets everything.
That should def fix it
Old 11-21-11, 07:40 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Check your dash and see if the "Door Ajar" icon is lit up even when your door is closed. If the door switch is not registering that the door is closed it may not shut off the dome light. It will not allow you to lock the doors since it thinks one of them is still open.
Old 11-21-11, 09:38 AM
Busha
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TheRyanGS
That should def fix it
Just turn off the dome light!!!! So it don't go on when your door is open, boost the car charge up the battery and you should be fine!!!!😁😁😁😁😜
Old 11-21-11, 09:45 AM
850Lexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Busha
Just turn off the dome light!!!! So it don't go on when your door is open, boost the car charge up the battery and you should be fine!!!!😁😁😁😁😜

That won't solve anything!!! The dome light is the least of his problems. The fact that his key fob won't work and he can't lock his doors are issues that need to be addressed and not covered up!!!!
Old 11-21-11, 12:03 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

the first two lines you said was pretty good info and pretty much on track (debonair does a good follow up also) BUT the battery cable more than likely wont fix this....and just to let you guys know, since i seem to be seeing this trend especially amongst newer members, resetting the battery isnt a miracle cure for our cars guys. it wont remove the VSC lights after ripping a speed sensor, it wont fix a bad door actuator, replace a bad door switch,etc...

Originally Posted by TheRyanGS
That should def fix it
REALLY?

so this would fix the problem IF he has a bad door switch or a bad actuator? no, it wont....

Originally Posted by Debonair
Check your dash and see if the "Door Ajar" icon is lit up even when your door is closed. If the door switch is not registering that the door is closed it may not shut off the dome light. It will not allow you to lock the doors since it thinks one of them is still open.

OP if the car is "dead" and wont crack its unlikely the keyless entry would work either as it may not have enough power for this also which would be why your lights are dimming but nothing else is happening. charge the battery or jump start the car and then check what abel said above me and if that isn't the problem manually check your door locks and see if you have a bad door actuator. if those dont fix it report back and we'll see if we can help you....

Originally Posted by Busha
Just turn off the dome light!!!! So it don't go on when your door is open, boost the car charge up the battery and you should be fine!!!!
That won't solve anything!!! The dome light is the least of his problems. The fact that his key fob won't work and he can't lock his doors are issues that need to be addressed and not covered up!!!!

Last edited by sakataj; 11-28-11 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-22-11, 12:58 PM
Busha
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
the first two lines you said was pretty good info and pretty much on track (debonair does a good follow up also) BUT the battery cable more than likely wont fix this....and just to let you guys know, since i seem to be seeing this trend especially amongst newer members, resetting the battery isnt a miracle cure for our cars guys. it wont remove the VSC lights after ripping a speed sensor, it wont fix a bad door actuator, replace a bad door switch,etc...

How do you expect the key fob to work when the battery is dead!!! That's why I said jump it!!

REALLY?

so this would fix the problem IF he has a bad door switch or a bad actuator? no, it wont....

OP if the car is "dead" and wont crack its unlikely the keyless entry would work either as it may not have enough power for this also which would be why your lights are dimming but nothing else is happening. charge the battery or jump start the car and then check what abel said above me and if that isn't the problem manually check your door locks and see if you have a bad door actuator. if those dont fix it report back and we'll see if we can help you....

How do you expect the key fob to work when the battery is dead!!! That's why I said jump it!